HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 22, 2003, 02:27 PM
OAK
Norway
Joined Oct 2002
168 Posts
Slooow-flyer

Hi !

I want to make a really ultra-slow-flying slow-flyer. The simplest would be building it of depron (cheap) and use one of gws IPS-DX drive system (presumably wih a high gear ratio).

I guess slooow-flying means looow wing loading, big prop, low pitch , low rpm.

Any known design that fits into my thoughts? Any tips if I have to make my own design airplane?

Regards
OAK
OAK is online now Find More Posts by OAK
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2003, 03:17 PM
Fanfold abuser
Rochester Monroe Cty, New York, United States
Joined Aug 2002
1,577 Posts
FrogBipe a possibility

I have been messing about with what I call the FrogBipe. It has a number of wing and power combinations, all around the 2 oz/sq. ft. wing loading. I will be writing up the design for the "Purely Foamie" design contest.

The thread on the design development is here . We flew V4.1, V5.3 and V6.1 last weekend. The consensus was that all three were good flyers. V4.1 offered a wide range of speeds and a very long duration on a 2 X K880 pack. It uses very common components.

Going radical is possible. I built a biplane canard contraption with five sq. ft. of wing area using 3mm foam. It weighed in at 7.25 oz. for a radically low wing loading. A DXA got it off the ground easliy. The design needs a lot of work to be controlable, but the possibility is there for seriously low wing loadings using DXA and pico gear. The thread on that design is here.

The key to this low wing loading was a fully-stayed biplane wing system. 46" out of 3mm foam. I think it could be bigger still and be stiff enough.
Jgardner is offline Find More Posts by Jgardner
Last edited by Jgardner; Jan 22, 2003 at 03:20 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2003, 11:01 PM
Flying the Unusual
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
323 Posts
You could try doing a coversion of one of those fragile indoor duration rubber-band planes - the ones with the open-frame/mylar covered props. Enlarge the wingspan a bit, add a really high gear ratio, use the smalles, lightest motor you can find, keep the battery light - one small lipoly maybe, and run rudder/throttle only with an RFFS and 1 small handwound actuator.
kennypinkerton is offline Find More Posts by kennypinkerton
Last edited by kennypinkerton; Jan 22, 2003 at 11:03 PM.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 05:03 AM
OAK
Norway
Joined Oct 2002
168 Posts
Yes, to get THE slowest plane I guess I have to go to the extreme when choosing motor/propeller, radio gear etc, but what I wanted is the slowest possible plane flying with more or less standard pico-stik hardware. (i.e. any of the ips-dx drives, hitec hs-50 servos...etc.)

OAK
OAK is online now Find More Posts by OAK
Old Jan 23, 2003, 06:51 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
The absolutely most important thing is the wing load. You can fly any plane slow if the wing load is low enough.
Next is a draggy plane. A big old under camber wing is good. I like balsa build up and cover the top only. A by-plane will slow up real good. I want to try a tri-plane next. Or 4 or 5.
You don't need state of the art equipment. Just build the plane big enough to get the wing load down. The stuff your trying to use was state of the art 2 years ago.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Last edited by Arizona Chuck; Jan 23, 2003 at 06:59 AM.
Old Jan 23, 2003, 07:51 AM
United Kingdom, Bracknell
Joined Nov 2000
11,010 Posts
There are a few things to consider.

You can certainly make a plane that is really slow and still cheap (using the gear you mention), but it will be big and relatively fragile (to get the wing loading down) ... so storage & transport is not easy (without damaging it, I mean!). A plane that can only fly very slowly is fine until the novelty wears off, then you are left with something that is thrown around by the slipstream of other models (don't try flying in the same space as a heli!), and will even react badly to an open door or ventilation/aircon system coming on. For some people this is not particularly exciting!

At the risk of sounding boring, something like an IFO (either size) can fly incredibly slowly and stably at medium AOA with a little power applied. And it will do this either way up But it's also cheap & easy to make, fully aerobatic, virtually unbreakable, etc. etc. You don't have to fly it around at full throttle, it has a very low wing loading so why not take advantage of it!

My 'slow fly' compromise is a Stubenfliege, which will fly incredibly slowly without resorting to prop-hanging. It uses standard indoor type r/c gear and can fly on a GWS setup .. although a coreless motor allows much smaller batteries (and therefore lower AUW). The Stube's wing, tail, & u/c all unclip in a few seconds to box it up for storage & transport. Mine is extremely agile (it can climb vertically!) and will fly as much as I want in an evening on a single charge (3x450 Li Ion).

The downside is that it can be affected by even gentle turbulence indoors, and you probably won't want to share airspace with other models too much ... a mid-air will make a big mess of the Mylar covering. The kit is also pretty expensive (although worth the money, IMO).

Maybe look at a Kolibri (DIY Stube alternative) or something similar. I'm not sure how far you will get with Depron, I mean a GWS Tiger Moth could be scaled up a bit if you don't mind it being pretty marginal on power ... but still isn't really going to be ultra-slow.
Bill Glover is offline Find More Posts by Bill Glover
Old Jan 23, 2003, 11:46 AM
Old Desert Rat
Rimrock AZ. USA
Joined Mar 2000
1,113 Posts
What Bill says makes a lot of sense, all depends on what turns your crank. I love my really slow and light planes. To me, it is as much fun to fly around my head and swat at it with the antenna as to fly my 3D plane. In your face flying can be just a challenging as anything else. Big plus, I can build my planes for $2 to $3.
Arizona Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Arizona Chuck
Old Jan 23, 2003, 12:09 PM
San Bernardino
Joined Oct 2002
36 Posts
Saw this slooooow flyer at the Pasadena show

Man, you could walk faster than this thing:

Used magnetic actuators and I believe a pager motor. You can find that stuff at smallrc.com. I forget where the mylar can be purchased. Not a project for big thumbs!
rdablo is offline Find More Posts by rdablo
Old Jan 23, 2003, 07:04 PM
Flying the Unusual
Tuscaloosa, Alabama
Joined Nov 2002
323 Posts
Yeah that's the kind of SLOOOOWW flier I was talking about Rdablo! Great looking.
kennypinkerton is offline Find More Posts by kennypinkerton