Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Discussion
ASK-21 SLS 6.5 meter from Phoenix Models

RCG,

I am in the process of getting a hobby importer to get this plane for me:

http://phoenixmodel.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=578

Here is a video of it in flight:

ASK-21 SLS ELECTRIC 6500 ARF 1/2.5 SCALE PHOENIXMODEL (2 min 37 sec)

I have found nothing on RCG about this plane, and am wondering if any of you have experience with it. I have the Phoenix Models K8B, 6 meter plane and am very happy with it despite the early issues with the wings.

I don't know if anyone is planning a group order or not. Like I said, I have contacted an American dealer who imports from Asia and Europe and will be the 'guinea pig' I guess

Thanks for any comments!
yabe is offline Find More Posts by yabe
Last edited by yabe; Jan 15, 2014 at 02:45 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 15, 2014, 02:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Here is a mini-review that I found:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?..._fb_noscript=1
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:33 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,596 Posts
Wow, for a promotional video, this is quite mediocre. A big ASK-21 flies smoothly with authority. This one looks more like a 2-meter plane bobbing around. Maybe it was tail-heavy, and the pilots were inexperienced... but I'd yank this video if it was my product. Sorry...

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is online now Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 15, 2014, 07:53 PM
Joined Jul 2009
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredAir View Post
Wow, for a promotional video, this is quite mediocre. A big ASK-21 flies smoothly with authority. This one looks more like a 2-meter plane bobbing around. Maybe it was tail-heavy, and the pilots were inexperienced... but I'd yank this video if it was my product. Sorry...

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
I thought the same thing. But from the looks of that horrible loop, I'd say the wing is certainly strong enough for normal flying.
edfmaniac is offline Find More Posts by edfmaniac
Old Jan 16, 2014, 12:15 AM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfmaniac View Post
I thought the same thing. But from the looks of that horrible loop, I'd say the wing is certainly strong enough for normal flying.
There are a couple other professional videos on U-Tube made by dealers in Asia selling the plane. Here are a couple:

6.5 meter Phoenix ASK21 Test flights (4 min 20 sec)

and

ASK-21 1/2.5 Scale RC Glider (3 min 47 sec)

They may be from the same main test footage. This plane is new to the market place, so not very much out there. From these videos. the plane is very smooth. Maybe the bumps from the first video are from winds or pilot skills.

The Phoenix Models K8B 6 meter is a fantastic flyer and yes it does require a little beefing up, but is wonderful in the air.

World Hobbies in AU will ship the plane to the U.S., but I am talking with a West Coast dealer who will try and import them.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:23 AM
Joined Jul 2009
554 Posts
Nice.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:40 PM
always looking for clouds
Joined Aug 2010
422 Posts
love the look of this plane. how much is it costing with the sls?
socommk23 is offline Find More Posts by socommk23
Old Jan 16, 2014, 02:16 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,596 Posts
I don't know how many of the Phoenix versions you could buy for the price of one of these www.rc-flight-academy.de/12.html, but if I was in the market for a decent ASK-21, I'd save a little longer for that one.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is online now Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by socommk23 View Post
love the look of this plane. how much is it costing with the sls?
I know the answer what the price will be in US Dollars. The ASK-21 with the SLS will sell for $1699.00, but you have to find your own shipping solution from Oklahoma.

The dealer on the West Coast, Hobby Club, who I bought my Phoenix K8B 6meter is frustrated with Phoenix in trying to get the plane in his store.

So, I contacted Phoenix, they gave me the contact for their U.S. distribution center in Oklahoma, and I have reserved 2 of the AKS-21 with SLS.

I think the cost is so low due to the high value of the dollar compared to the Viet Nam Dong. Yes the Dong is the currency of Nam ... the dollar buys a heck of a lot of Dongs. Please, no jokes about that.
Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:09 PM
Joined Aug 2012
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShredAir View Post
I don't know how many of the Phoenix versions you could buy for the price of one of these www.rc-flight-academy.de/12.html, but if I was in the market for a decent ASK-21, I'd save a little longer for that one.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
That is a nice plane @ 5.2 meters. The cost for it is: 2590 Euros = 3519.81 US Dollars. For that amount I can buy 2 , 6.5 meter ASK-21 WITH Self Launching System.

I don't mind paying less for more plane, and less detail as most of my time enjoying the plane will be while the plane is in the air high above me. The non-scale cockpit wont even be visible.

So two larger planes (1.3 meter longer span), self launching (can't do turbines in my area; as the one shown on your 5.2 meter), and nice paint/color scheme, is the way I will go. The 5.2 looks very nice, and if I were into scale static and scale flying, I would go that route. I just want a big semi-scale plane that just looks nice. I will even take the 'bumpy' flying for that price!
Old Jan 17, 2014, 04:02 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Feb 2003
215 Posts
Phoenix 6.5m ASK-21 with SLS or w/o

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabe View Post
That is a nice plane @ 5.2 meters. The cost for it is: 2590 Euros = 3519.81 US Dollars. For that amount I can buy 2 , 6.5 meter ASK-21 WITH Self Launching System.

I don't mind paying less for more plane, and less detail as most of my time enjoying the plane will be while the plane is in the air high above me. The non-scale cockpit wont even be visible.

So two larger planes (1.3 meter longer span), self launching (can't do turbines in my area; as the one shown on your 5.2 meter), and nice paint/color scheme, is the way I will go. The 5.2 looks very nice, and if I were into scale static and scale flying, I would go that route. I just want a big semi-scale plane that just looks nice. I will even take the 'bumpy' flying for that price!
Taking orders for April delivery.

Also information on our new line of Digital, Metal Gears Servos of High Quality, Performance and Reliability

Hobby Club
hobbyclub is offline Find More Posts by hobbyclub
Old Jan 18, 2014, 01:56 AM
Aerotow and sloping Holland
Joined Mar 2012
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfmaniac View Post
Hmmm is the shot of the loop the same plane or a smaller one?
MaartenX is online now Find More Posts by MaartenX
Old Jan 18, 2014, 09:35 AM
Joined Jul 2009
554 Posts
I think it's the same plane. As amateur as the footage is, I doubt they spent any time editing it to make it look deceptive. The other videos show the plane looping as well but with what appears to be a much better pilot on the sticks.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 09:42 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyclub View Post
Taking orders for April delivery.

Also information on our new line of Digital, Metal Gears Servos of High Quality, Performance and Reliability

Hobby Club
So how much without SLS?
A10FLYR is online now Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Jan 18, 2014, 06:34 PM
Joined Jul 2004
2,548 Posts
only a couple of hundred less....
Big Nuts 181 is offline Find More Posts by Big Nuts 181