HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 21, 2013, 05:05 AM
Joined Nov 2013
18 Posts
Discussion
Vortex 60 questions

Hi Folks!

I am trying to figure out what the current value is of a vintage Vortex 60 RC sailboat (see attached file) that I own.

It is in great shape and AFAIK it is all original equipment except that the radio and servos are new. The original radio was stolen in a break in and the insurance paid for a new Futaba radio (with matching servos).

I purchased this boat from the guy who built it (about 34 +/- years ago). He was a machinist and did an outstanding job on the build.

I have searched for "Vortex 60" but can't seem to find a lot out about it.

Thanks for all advice and information!
OldSailor42 is offline Find More Posts by OldSailor42
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2013, 03:12 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
586 Posts
Beautiful boat!
marter1229 is online now Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:16 PM
Chicago , Illinois
Joined Jul 2008
869 Posts
Vortex 60

OldSailor42
as far as basic info,I can give you some facts and figures from something I have
saved all these years,a product brochure from Vortex,dated 1981.....
dimensions as listed are length 60",beam 14",draft 10",displacement:32.3 lbs
There were 2 rigs available,the "12 Meter" version you have,which they state is
is good up to 10 knots wind speed.For higher winds they sold a "Dragon" sail
plan.The 12 Meter is 2112 sq.in. with a 80" mast and a 25.4" main boom.
The Dragon rig is 1463 sq.in.,a 71" mast and a 21.9" main boom.
It also seems there were 2 lead ballast weights,a keel weight of 7 lbs and a 12 lb.
internal lead casting.
now the fun part-I also have a price list,again dated 1981.
the V-60 KIT-hull,ballasts,rig,sails,SC-3 servo motor and SC-4 string-eater,
hardware,a Kraft KP-5X radio and 3 servo's,RX,batt pack,charger........$1355.oo
hope this helps
Allan
thorsail is offline Find More Posts by thorsail
Old Nov 21, 2013, 10:23 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
1,829 Posts
..and I would be happy to pay you $100 for that old boat. Hell, it doesnt even have a fin and bulb keel! Where can I pick it up? I'll want to grab it before you come to your senses.

Dave

PS: That is a beautiful and rare boat. Why do you want to sell it instead of sail it?
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:15 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
192 Posts
here's some original literature of the Vortex 60, your 60 looks like it has the SC-4 sail winch control on it, also know as a liner eater I have the literature on the SC-4 if your interested
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Last edited by tbarjohn; Nov 22, 2013 at 12:31 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 12:54 AM
Joined Nov 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marter1229 View Post
Beautiful boat!
Thanks!

She really is a thing of beauty. These are old photos in bad light that really don't do her justice.

Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:09 AM
Joined Nov 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thorsail View Post
OldSailor42
as far as basic info,I can give you some facts and figures from something I have
saved all these years,a product brochure from Vortex,dated 1981.....
dimensions as listed are length 60",beam 14",draft 10",displacement:32.3 lbs
There were 2 rigs available,the "12 Meter" version you have,which they state is
is good up to 10 knots wind speed.For higher winds they sold a "Dragon" sail
plan.The 12 Meter is 2112 sq.in. with a 80" mast and a 25.4" main boom.
The Dragon rig is 1463 sq.in.,a 71" mast and a 21.9" main boom.
It also seems there were 2 lead ballast weights,a keel weight of 7 lbs and a 12 lb.
internal lead casting.
now the fun part-I also have a price list,again dated 1981.
the V-60 KIT-hull,ballasts,rig,sails,SC-3 servo motor and SC-4 string-eater,
hardware,a Kraft KP-5X radio and 3 servo's,RX,batt pack,charger........$1355.oo
hope this helps
Allan
Thanks Alan!

That is great info and after seeing the price sheet that jogs my memory that the original owner said he had $1500 in it (which sounds right with shipping).

Now that I am digging into this I also found an old E-mail that he had sent me years ago that has contact info for John Converse (the designer/manufacturer) and some other things about it.

I guess the trick now is to figure out what it is worth today. I'm sure there is a "used boat price" as well as perhaps a "vintage boat price" and both valid to different individuals.

Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:15 AM
Joined Nov 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
..and I would be happy to pay you $100 for that old boat. Hell, it doesnt even have a fin and bulb keel! Where can I pick it up? I'll want to grab it before you come to your senses.

Dave

PS: That is a beautiful and rare boat. Why do you want to sell it instead of sail it?
LOL - your all heart Dave!

Truth be told, I really don't want to sell it. It is a thing of beauty and I get joy just from looking at it sitting on it's stand.

But I have been happily married now for 29 1/2 years (and plan to stay that way). I want to build out a food truck and I am lucky to have a good wife that supports me in that venture.

But since it takes a lot of money to do that (and we seem to not be made of the stuff), part of the deal is that I sell off some of my old toys to pay for the new one.

Old Nov 22, 2013, 01:22 AM
Joined Nov 2013
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarjohn View Post
here's some original literature of the Vortex 60, your 60 looks like it has the SC-4 sail winch control on it, also know as a liner eater I have the literature on the SC-4 if your interested
John R.
Hey thanks John!

Yes it is the SC-4 and I'd love to have the literature on that too.

Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:04 AM
Joined Feb 2009
21 Posts
Try Googling "Larry Ludwig" "SC-4" for a lot of discussion and words about the winch.

I imagine there is no "used boat": drop in value for such a rare and desirable boat. More likely it would bring multiples of the original price at a well publicized online auction. I think a reserve of $3000 would not be out of line and might even be low.

How many are known to exist? Does this make #5? Probably a little research would uncover a few more. Offhand, I know of 3 in the southeast US plus the blue one on Youtube.

Scott.
s vernon is offline Find More Posts by s vernon
Old Nov 22, 2013, 10:48 AM
Minnesota, USA
Joined Aug 2002
1,819 Posts
Sell the wife, sell the wife ----Keep the boat !
Dick L. is offline Find More Posts by Dick L.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Mar 2012
149 Posts
Unfortunately just because something is rare doesn't necessarily mean its valuable. Your Vortex 60 is very pretty and it is a great piece of r/c sailing history. But it's not being actively sailed as a class and it's pretty large and heavy and old electronics like your winch tend to be finicky. The likely buyer is therefore someone who wants a showpiece they can put in the water from time to time. Again unfortunately model boat people generally tend to not have very deep pockets. There is always a chance that you might find that one person who has to have this boat and will pay a good price for it. Otherwise I would expect that you would be able to get around the $1000 or so it sold for and maybe a little less. All in all, if you can I would say keep the boat-/ it's beautiful and meaningful for you.
Tom Corbett is online now Find More Posts by Tom Corbett
Old Nov 22, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, CA, San Carlos
Joined Oct 2011
8 Posts
boat value

I agree that boats in actively raced classes tend to be worth more than others. I also agree that model yacht folks mostly don't have deep pockets or dive into them deeply even when they do.

As an antique or a decoration I would expect a higher price if it's visually complete and pristine. I would be surprised if buyers in that market would be attracted by rarity for something like this and it doesn't seem old enough to be an antique.

The value ultimately reflects what someone else is willing to pay. My guess is not a whole lot. There's one way to find out. Put it up for $3,000 and see what happens. Seems to me that the risk of cheating yourself at that price is very remote. You can always put it back up at a lower price.
All Wet is offline Find More Posts by All Wet
Old Nov 23, 2013, 12:41 AM
aurora, il.
Joined Aug 2009
192 Posts
here's the original literature of the SC-4
John R.
tbarjohn is offline Find More Posts by tbarjohn
Old Nov 23, 2013, 02:31 AM
Joined Nov 2013
18 Posts
So as not to make this thread hard to read, let me reply to several posts here:

[ Scott Vernon ] - thanks for the info on what to Google. Also I appreciate your input about the auction, the idea of a reserve bit and rarity of the Vortex 60.

[ Dick L ] - I can't afford to sell the wife. It would cost a LOT more than it will to outfit the food truck<g>. Plus I actually lucked out and got a good one. That may be even rarer than the Vortex 60!

[ Tom Corbett ] - I appreciate your input and insights about values, prospective buyers and the sentiment about keeping the boat if possible.

[ All Wet ] - thanks for your input on this as well. I suspect that your right in that there is no risk of setting a reserve price somewhere and seeing what happens.

[ John R. ] - thanks so much for the literature on the SC4! I really appreciate that.

You folks are really being helpful - thanks again to all of you!