HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:32 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
105 Posts
Question
2-Wire Motor Hook Up Ideas?

So I have some parts leftover from a sh*tty BananaHobby EDF and wanted to swap the motor into a BYOB. However, the motor only has 2 wires. Is there any way to run this off a 4Ch radio? Even an OFF/ON ability would be fine as this bipe seems like its gonna be quite the glider.

Otherwise, I'll just have to leave engine on at all times, I guess; but I really dont want to do it that way.

Any quick n easy cheats to accomplish the above would be appreciated
tripn4days is offline Find More Posts by tripn4days
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:42 PM
Raikkonen for President
United States, FL, Davenport
Joined May 2012
7,112 Posts
Did the EDF have throttle control? 2 wires indicates a DC (brushed) motor - it should still have a brushed ESC that goes along with it. Unless the original plane had only on-off too, which doesn't seem right.
bhoov128 is online now Find More Posts by bhoov128
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Snice Slick
Old Aug 14, 2012, 03:46 PM
I fly bipes
United States, OK, Elgin
Joined Dec 2011
101 Posts
brushed motor?

sounds like you have a brushed motor set up. Or you have lost a wire off of the motor. Do you have a speed control? If these are undamaged, it doesn't matter to your radio system. as long as they are compatible with your rx.
southside is offline Find More Posts by southside
Old Aug 14, 2012, 05:37 PM
IAMCANADIAN
Canada, BC, Squamish
Joined Jul 2002
4,742 Posts
You want to swap a brushed (2 wire) motor from an EDF into a Bipe which will be 'quite the glider'.
This is going to be like putting a Ferrari engine and transaxel (albeit an old one) into a pickup truck. You'll need to gear it down probably 5:1 to spin a large enough prop to pull a draggy bipe through the air even slowly. Back when brushed motors were the norm it was typical to gear them so they could spin larger props more slowly.

A 4Ch radio will give you a 'throttle' control so yes that will give you control of the power. The receiver doesn't care what is plugged into the channel for throttle - brushless esc, brushed esc, or even a servo connected to an actual engine throttle. Your quick n easy cheat is to simply use the equipment as is.

btw - what was sh*tty about the BananaHobby EDF plane?
Grejen is offline Find More Posts by Grejen
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Grejen; Aug 14, 2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:49 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128 View Post
Did the EDF have throttle control? 2 wires indicates a DC (brushed) motor - it should still have a brushed ESC that goes along with it. Unless the original plane had only on-off too, which doesn't seem right.
It had an all in one circuit board that everything was soldered into... Throttle was a three-position 0-50-100% throttle and a two wire miniature magnetic servo on the rudder

So it sounds like I just need a brushed esc? Hopefully they're cheap?

**EDIT** Just found a DIY brushed ESC built out of 9g servo! Cool stuff, although I cant read the steps, the video shows enough to build your own... I'm sure the amp ratings pretty low though being a servos built for ~5V

DYI small brushed ESC from servo.wmv (3 min 0 sec)
Last edited by tripn4days; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 09:56 PM
All Thumbs
Joined Jun 2012
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
what was sh*tty about the BananaHobby EDF plane?
Everything... Quality was below subpar. Wings snapped on the tiniest "crash" test glide from 3 feet off ground. Tx chattered magnetic servo. Servo frequently did not respond or would get jammed to one side mid-flight. Customer service never responded to several email communications.

But it's fine as I took it as a learning exp and now just make my own at a serious fraction of the cost but at triple-quintuple the quality all around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grejen View Post
You want to swap a brushed (2 wire) motor from an EDF into a Bipe which will be 'quite the glider' This is going to be like putting a Ferrari engine and transaxel (albeit an old one) into a pickup truck
I'm just gonna run it at 4.8V instead of 7.2V and leave the small three blade prop on... It should give me just enough thrust to keep airborne... I'm only running a rudder, no elevator or anything. This is just a little toy, nothing serious
Last edited by tripn4days; Aug 14, 2012 at 10:13 PM.