HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 21, 2012, 06:55 AM
United States, NJ, Roxbury Township
Joined Jun 2012
20 Posts
Yippee!
Got my Trainer running

I have this OS40 Max FP engine on a trainer from the 90's. Got it from a friend who's dad didn't have time for it anymore since hes crashed it years ago. So I decided I'd take it and get it running. The carburetor was locked up but luckily I finally got the slide freed and got all the gunk cleaned out and now it works great. I can get it started for about 3 seconds but it will die. When I prime the engine, I see the fuel running up the line, but as soon as I take my finger off of the exhaust, fuel will drain back down the line. I cannot for the life of me figure this out! Please help, I am very new to this hobby but I am very familiar with 2 stroke engines and I understand carburetion completely, but I cannot figure out why the fuel drains back out after I prime. I've searched for threads on the problem but I cant find anything. I tried adjusting the high end and low end needles and I referenced a thread on here for trying to get an engine started....

Thanks to anyone that helps!

- Adam

EDIT: Finally got it running, scroll down vvvvv
ahan3793 is offline Find More Posts by ahan3793
Last edited by ahan3793; Jun 21, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
20 Posts
Figured it out! !!!!! Got it running!
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:11 AM
Joined Jun 2012
20 Posts
Still need to adjust the high speed needle valve but its running!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNAQh...ature=youtu.be
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:27 AM
Joined Jun 2012
20 Posts
Tuned it, now the high speed needle is in the proper position and its almost ready to fly. Need to re-monokote the wing, get a battery for the receiver and I need to find a 4 channel AM transmitter
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCiXwsdnNN4
Old Jun 21, 2012, 11:05 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,749 Posts
AM transmitter?! Where are you located? Most folks in the States don't use AM any more. Glad you got her running. The OS40FP is a good little engine and one of my favorites. Takes all kind of abuse and just keeps on running. Dude, PLEASE be careful when you're turning over an engine with your hand while you've got the glow started on there. Even at a low RPM the end of that APC prop can shred your hand pretty bad if it fires up. Hope you find everything you need and get her flying soon. Good luck!
JohnsPop is online now Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Jun 21, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Jun 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnsPop View Post
AM transmitter?! Where are you located? Most folks in the States don't use AM any more. Glad you got her running. The OS40FP is a good little engine and one of my favorites. Takes all kind of abuse and just keeps on running. Dude, PLEASE be careful when you're turning over an engine with your hand while you've got the glow started on there. Even at a low RPM the end of that APC prop can shred your hand pretty bad if it fires up. Hope you find everything you need and get her flying soon. Good luck!
I'm located in NJ. The receiver in it is a 4 channel AM receiver. And yes, its a great little engine. And next time, I won't prime it with the glow starter in. And thanks! I hope to get it flying soon as well. I just took all the old monokote off of the wing and applied new, yellow monokote. Came out pretty good, considering I only used a regular iron.
Last edited by ahan3793; Jun 21, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 02:03 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
952 Posts
I would recommend deep sixing that AM receiver. Even if you find only an AM transmitter on the 27 or 72mz bands, trying to find a matching compatible frequency crystal for your receiver is going to be a total PITA. I would recommend looking for a matching TX/RX set either new or used on 72 or 2.4.

And since you are apparently a newby at this, find a local club and field. Most people are helpfull and will help to to learn to fly. And might even have a radio for you. Go here to find info on a club near you: http://www.modelaircraft.org/clubsearch.aspx
jjkupinski is online now Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Last edited by jjkupinski; Jun 21, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 03:51 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
952 Posts
Glad to see that you got it running, good job . Now I'm going to pick on you ( for your own good and to save a finger or hand ) .

1. SECURE that plane in your stand. That's not really a safe stand anyway.
2. Make sure all your extra equipment is well away from the prop ( plane ) . You don't want to trip or kick something into the prop etc. Especially if it's turning.
3. Glad to see you are using a chicken stick but I would suggest that you put a piece of hose over the end of the screw driver, if the engine backfires it's not as hard on the prop.
4. Last and most important. Take your time and pay REAL close attention to how you are putting the glow starter on and off. You looked pretty close in a couple shots.

Also you may want to get with a local club before trying to fly it on your own, it can be a money saver and a lot of fun with some assistance.
As far as the radio goes: trying to match up the AM may be a pain, besides if you do fly at a club field you will have to pin the freq. on each side of yours, if they let ya use it at their field. I'd suggest biting the bullet and just get a 2.4 radio, it will probably be cheaper in the long run and for sure a lot better. If you do get a different radio, I'd skip the 72 mg and just get a 2.4 right off the bat. I have a bunch of 72's but only because I've had them a long time, as they start needing batteries etc. I'll just up grade. I'm old school. Good Luck. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is online now Find More Posts by redh
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Jun 2012
20 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

And yes, I see in the videos that I do get very close to the prop. That was also the first time I had it on the stand when I started it. Before I just had it on the ground. I will be more careful next time. The starter motor that came with it was not powerful enough for some reason, even though the battery I was running the power panel on was fully charged..... Reason for starting it with a screwdriver. I will also slide some tubing on the screwdriver, I did notice that the prop was getting a little scratched up.

Also, I have a very large field behind my house. Theres about 1/2 mile of woods directly behind my house and it runs into a large field which is accessable by road. I will most likely be flying it there.

As for clubs, I will search for a few in my area. I'm very new to the hobby and I don't know much about the receivers/transmitters and what not. I have a friend that is in the hobby who is slowly teaching me important things. I used to have a large Citation X foam R/C (electric) that was VERY fun to fly but I eventually snapped the tail off when a big wind gust sucked it into the trees.
Old Jun 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
Joined Jun 2012
20 Posts
Also, today I decided it was time for some new monokote. The wing had seen some damage from the crash back in 2001, minor damage to the wood but the monokote was all chewed up. I bought a roll of yellow and used my regular clothes iron on the lowest setting to apply it. I measured the temperature that the iron reached and it stayed around 306, which worked great! Here are some pictures of the wing after the monokote, only a few wrinkles!

Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:19 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahan3793 View Post
And next time, I won't prime it with the glow starter in.
And I didn't mean to criticize your technique..... I myself have raging ADD and I'm actually surprised I haven't chopped off a finger in the last 3 years.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 12:33 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,749 Posts
Nice covering job especially for a regular clothes iron! Yeah, I would probably buy a 30 buck Hobbyking or FrSky 4 channel 2.4 ghz radio before I'd mess around with matching up an AM combo. Be even *better* to buy a bigger name 2.4 radio.... And to be honest.... if you find a club..... I *know* there are several guys in my club, myself included, who would hook you up with a decent, older FM or 2.4 radio just to get you started. We give stuff to each other all the time because we know we're going to end up flying it anyway.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 05:41 PM
Fla.
Joined Apr 2005
952 Posts
Good job with the flat iron. My first couple of planes were done with one. Couldn't afford a regular covering iron and pay for repairs to. lol

One thing you may want to do is to put some trim across the top of the wing. I'd suggest a large star burst or a couple wide stripes. Anything to set it off so you see it better in the air.

Comment about the trim. If you can watch a plane flying, notice that when it starts turning away from you that the bottom turns dark ~~ DOOM . When it starts turning toward you the wing flashes it's color ( if it's not dark ) as if to say " HI " here I come . If you have a bit of trim on the top it just makes it easier to see.
With smaller planes or someone that flies in close all the time it doesn't make much difference which side you trim. ENJOY !!! RED
redh is online now Find More Posts by redh
Old Jun 23, 2012, 02:15 PM
United States, OR, Roseburg
Joined Jan 2012
101 Posts
if you have a futaba tx, i have a few 72 am 4 channel rx's and could send you one. do you know what channel your tx crystal is?
sweatybetty is offline Find More Posts by sweatybetty
Old Jun 23, 2012, 08:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatybetty View Post
if you have a futaba tx, i have a few 72 am 4 channel rx's and could send you one. do you know what channel your tx crystal is?
I actually just got a 3 channel transmitter with a matching receiver on here for a crazy good deal. If this setup doesn't end up working, I will definitely message you about one. Thanks!

- Adam