HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 10, 2012, 03:40 PM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Ilkley, West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Nov 2008
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer View Post
Well, those three should have inspired you Colonel!!
Certainly have!! Thanks guys!
Colonel Blink is offline Find More Posts by Colonel Blink
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:59 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,277 Posts
Sounds like you are enjoying yourself Colonel! I told you it would be even more fun taking part than watching!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 02:15 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
612 Posts
I'm with you Colonel, I always try and use the kitwood unless it's clearly unfit for the purpose. Putting wireless in these models requires a slightly sturdier framework in my opinion and I didn't replace a thing on my Gipsy and the weight turned out quite acceptable. Anyway, I'm keeping you from your workbench so enough waffle from me but glad to have played a part in coercing you back to the bench!.. Gary
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:21 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehoney View Post
Nice models *jj

Weeds need treatment ......
You should see the lawn, which I carefully kept out of the photos ...
There are things I am interested in, like model making, and things which I am not!
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:24 AM
*jj
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jul 2008
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post

So, having been given leave to disappear into the loft while Lady Blink downed a Pimm's or two, I cut out my versions of F1 & F2 using some firm 3/32" sheet I already had.
If anyone is contemplating building a rubber Ajax, don't bother with this; just make the bulkheads out of a rectangle of 1/8" x 1/4" balsa strip.
*jj is offline Find More Posts by *jj
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:01 AM
RFJ
Northern Ireland
Joined Dec 2004
1,398 Posts
Well I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat but I must admit that I do prefer the method described by *jj. Gets the grain in all the right directions, is light and leaves a nice big hole in the middle for pushrods, leads etc.

Ray
RFJ is offline Find More Posts by RFJ
Old Jun 11, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,279 Posts
Oh hell - the first thing I've done and its' wrong.....!!!!

I just nipped to the local railway modelling shop (Frizinghall Model Railways - apparently quite well known by those whose models just go along rather than up) and they had some 3/32" sq balsa - so I bought 8 lengths. Should definitely be able to get something usable and matched out of they!

Also bought some u/c wire, because strangely Eddie Keil only put enough in the box for one leg.....
Old Jun 11, 2012, 08:59 AM
Sticks, Tissue & old Diesels
France, Centre, Amboise
Joined Nov 2011
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Blink View Post
Also bought some u/c wire, because strangely Eddie Keil only put enough in the box for one leg.....
Colonel, based on the box, I don't think your kit has anything to do with Eddie Keil, it looks like Amerang production. The one I purchased was terrible. It certainly couldn't have been built into a successful rubber model. At the time, I got quite cross that such mediocrity should be marketed in the name of KK. The wood was "floorboard" stock and the instructions had obviously been written by some who'd never been within half a mile of a lightweight rubber model.
Anyway, I obtained an "original" plan from my friend the late Keith Harris, which resulted in the model shown a few posts higher.
Please don't blame dear Eddie for any shortcomings in your kit. We all owe him so much.
brokenenglish is offline Find More Posts by brokenenglish
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Running the PAW 19RC TBR diesel
Old Jun 11, 2012, 09:33 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,540 Posts
> just make the bulkheads out of a rectangle of 1/8" x 1/4" balsa strip.

Why bother with bulkheads? Useful for a novice, yes .... but not necessary to put together a box fuselage and merely added weight
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:03 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
> just make the bulkheads out of a rectangle of 1/8" x 1/4" balsa strip.

Why bother with bulkheads? Useful for a novice, yes .... but not necessary to put together a box fuselage and merely added weight
You may be interested to see my Senator fuselage. No bulkheads needed here. Just make simple jigging formers of card or balsa etc to align the sides and add the cross pieces in pairs. When construction is complete remove the temporary formers and you have a fuselage. I used a more elaborate jig but it's not really necessary.
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:32 AM
Ajax, Ontario, Canada
Joined Oct 2004
2,540 Posts
>When construction is complete remove the temporary formers and you have a fuselage

My practice, exactly
Applehoney is offline Find More Posts by Applehoney
Old Jun 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined Nov 2008
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenenglish View Post
Colonel, based on the box, I don't think your kit has anything to do with Eddie Keil, it looks like Amerang production.
Indeed it is - and I didn't mean to cast aspersions upon our Mr Keil - as I have said before, as a young lad most of the kits I built were Keilkraft, and as such he indirectly gave me a lot of enjoyment. I merely used the name as a sort of nebulous epithet for the company.

Quote:
Why bother with bulkheads? Useful for a novice, yes ....
That'll be me then............

This Ajax will have bulkheads.... partly because I want to build it as much as it was intended as the electric & radio will allow, and partly for summat to attach various electrical VCBOTs* to.

*VCBOT = Very Complicated Box of Tricks
Old Jun 11, 2012, 11:22 AM
United Kingdom, England, Lancs
Joined Sep 2006
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel blink View Post
for summat to attach various electrical vcbots* to.

*vcbot = very complicated box of tricks
Ok, that's very amusing. (tried to put up some smilies but they came out as mere letters. !!??? No idea why)
Raf_Bob is offline Find More Posts by Raf_Bob
Old Jun 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
4,277 Posts
Jim and Bob are quite right of course about building without bulkheads; however, I have to say that on most of my rubber to electric R/C conversions (Tom Tit, Mamba, Witch etc.) I DO use them, built up from 1/4" x 1/8" strip which leaves nice clear passage for wires and with solid bits added where appropriate to mount things on to. In this application the extra weight is negligible and the increase in convenience considerable.

They are also right about what happened to KK kits once Amerang got their hands on them. Whilst the balsa quality in original KK kits sometimes left something to be desired, it was, at least, usually usable. The Amerang versions I saw contained wood which any self respecting modeller would only use to build a bird house. That's what happens when kits are marketed by commercial organisations with no direct modelling experience or input.
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 05:21 PM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Nov 2010
612 Posts
Carry on as you were Colonel, two bulkheads in the Gipsy as well.
kkphantom is offline Find More Posts by kkphantom