HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Add Another Option: BMN (Bare Minimum Necessities)
no batteries, no charger, and no tx! $59.99(BMN) 712 85.99%
were just asking for too much 116 14.01%
Voters: 828. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:32 AM
Joined Apr 2013
309 Posts
I was flying the T-28 this morning. Everything seems out of trim? I was adjusting the TX (DX6I) but could not make the plane happy. So I decided to land and look it over. As I set up for a landing in the street I smacked the light pole next to the curb near the street. Spun the plane around 360 twice but then straighted out. I ended up in the street safe and there was no damage to the plane.

That's one tough little plane. I reset the rudder, Ailerons & elevator. Put it back up in the air and she flew great? I don't know what happened. Maybe just an old aging pilot?

These little UM's are fun.

I also started to fly the Spitfire but it got to windy!

jack
pjdog350 is online now Find More Posts by pjdog350
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: PZ UM Mosquito tach motors
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 11, 2014, 01:37 PM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
276 Posts
+1 "tough little plane"

Pic below is of Lil T wing damage, tape and glue, not pretty, still looping and swooping, didn't even have to play with the trim......

Mark R.
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Apr 11, 2014, 01:59 PM
Joined Apr 2013
309 Posts
I already had nose damage from the maiden flight cause I had the ailerons backwards. When she took off she just rolled over and went in the sand. I got a little wrinkle in the bottom of the nose.

When I hit the top of the light pole it just made a little bigger wrinkle.

It is a tough little thing. Flies very well. I like it allot. Have not flown the Champ or the Cub sense I got the T-28.

Jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 14, 2014, 08:57 AM
United States, WA, Everett
Joined Aug 2013
176 Posts
I got fly my UM T-28 for the first time on Sunday. It needed a fair amount of trim on the elevator so I will need to adjust the linkage. Once I got that sorted out it flew pretty good. The wind was a little strong for this little guy, but I had a blast flying it. I clipped a goal post with the wing and it just left a small mark on the wing tip, this thing is durable!

-Max
maxnew40 is offline Find More Posts by maxnew40
Old Apr 14, 2014, 12:31 PM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2010
95 Posts
I got caught in some tree branches and getting the plane down resulted in some damage-rip in the wings.

I have been reading many threads on what glues need to be used and I am still not clear. Foam safe CA appears to be good but what else is OK?
My foam safe is not good anymore. I have lots of 30min epoxy. Is that a good one?
Any others?
thanks, John
John63 is offline Find More Posts by John63
Old Apr 14, 2014, 01:23 PM
Joined Apr 2013
309 Posts
Trouble with epoxy is it's pretty heavy. I use foam safe E-Flite CA, also the activator. I don't like to wait and the activator makes it cure NOW!

jack
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2014, 05:05 PM
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Oct 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John63 View Post
I got caught in some tree branches and getting the plane down resulted in some damage-rip in the wings.

I have been reading many threads on what glues need to be used and I am still not clear. Foam safe CA appears to be good but what else is OK?
My foam safe is not good anymore. I have lots of 30min epoxy. Is that a good one?
Any others?
thanks, John
I've been following this thread for awhile just haven't posted.
I found Gorilla glue to work really well but I just recently tried "Welders glue".
It's a contact cement that I found works really well on EPO foam and hinges.

I haven't had much luck with CA glue. All my foamie repairs kept breaking and I had better luck with plain Elmer's white glue. Moved onto gorilla glue but it has a tendency to expand into cracks - which works well on bigger foam breaks. It also dries brown so the repairs while super strong, are not always pretty.

But I have to say the Welders glue is working really well, dries clear, doesn't expand, and is super strong.
You can buy it on Amazon.
JoeInNY is offline Find More Posts by JoeInNY
Old Apr 15, 2014, 05:44 PM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
758 Posts
I second using Welders glue for some foam repairs. I have assembled flat foamies with it. Only issue was a little melting of the foam as it cured (or if applied a little thick). If I have the time then I prefer white glue on the broken seam as it dries lighter then applied and is nearly invisible. If needed then I apply small pieces of clear tape across the seam to hold position while drying. A third glue I like to use is Foam Tac. Works much like Welders without the melting.

I limit my use of epoxy to motor gearboxes, pinion gears, and other dissimilar materials as it is relatively heavy even used sparingly.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Apr 15, 2014, 07:44 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeInNY View Post
Moved onto gorilla glue but it has a tendency to expand into cracks - which works well on bigger foam breaks. It also dries brown so the repairs while super strong, are not always pretty.
I swear by the Gorilla Glue, the 'White" formula. Dries faster than the original brown and dries white, so it matches the original foam almost exactly. You still have to be really careful about not using too much so it doesn't foam all over, but the excess just looks like factory construction material on a white t-28. 20 minutes and you're in the air again.
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:16 PM
United States, NY, Westchester
Joined Oct 2013
31 Posts
White Gorilla glue? I'll have to look for it.

I do really like the stuff on larger breaks. Reinforce with some toothpicks and it's almost like foam re-bar.
JoeInNY is offline Find More Posts by JoeInNY
Old Apr 15, 2014, 08:49 PM
Go small or go home
Canada, SK, Regina
Joined Mar 2008
1,315 Posts
I find the white gorilla glue much easier to work with then the original brown formula. It dries faster than regular, yet has a 'sticky' phase that seems to last a little longer so you can set and adjust the final position. The foaming is more predicable too. Damping with water really speeds up the curing so you don't have to hold it so long. Rubbing alcohol will clean it off nicely before it dries, but the real trick is in learn just how little you need to do the job. I squeeze a blob on a scrap of cardboard, then use a toothpick to apply a tiny bit to the inner sides of the foam repair. That way it mostly foams to the inside where I leave the foam as it will. I keep an eye on the visible exterior for foaming and wipe any foam off with alcohol. 'Clean break' repairs will disappear completely. You can work with the foaming action to fill in more drastic repairs. Even though the glue sets solid in 20 minutes or less, it will continue to get harder for many hours after.

The bottle isn't very big, but a little goes a long way. The screw cap does a superb job of sealing without gumming up so you can actually use it all before it goes bad.
ruzam is online now Find More Posts by ruzam
Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM
"Some do, some don't"
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jul 2013
276 Posts
Another adhesive to try

Foam Tac

Safe for ALL foam, dries clear, dries flexible, can be removed, uses the "apply glue, press together, pull apart, let dry for two minutes, press back together, wait 5 mins, done... go fly, method.

Don't get me wrong, some jobs need CA, and some jobs gotta have epoxy, heck still only use silicone caulk for UM motor mounts, but Foam Tac has become my go to glue...

They have a new product out also, called Foam Finishing Compound, all the rage at Toledo. Think "bondo" for foam...

Just another product out there, worth checking out...

Mark R.
old_coastie is offline Find More Posts by old_coastie
Old Today, 07:25 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,617 Posts
5 minute epoxy does wonders. I mix a small dot of it and use a toothpick to apply for most tight or adjoining breaks.
Saxguy1000 is online now Find More Posts by Saxguy1000