HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
scratch build everything
South Africa, KwaZulu-Natal, Botha's Hill
Joined Aug 2009
1,217 Posts
I was on holiday last week, back at work today though. I think I'll have to take time off to finish my Jart.

Definitely took more time with this wing, it's the longer wing, lighter, has a live hinge, carbon reinforced ailerons, servo covers, paint job and a the wing bolt reinforcing was part of the layup. So, practice certainly does make improvement.

I'm still considering putting her name on her, just need to locate some matching vinyl.

Wind isn't looking promising for a maiden this week. Got some serious SW coming through thursday and friday, but the SW local slope is not maiden friendly at all.

My wifes comments: "Oh that is such a cute plane".
DudleyLeRoux is offline Find More Posts by DudleyLeRoux
to remove ads between posts
Old May 23, 2011, 03:54 PM
.....till the wind drops.
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Joined Oct 2006
3,436 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johannlochner View Post
Now.... Rolling drum. . . . . . .
Where is Fubar and Sean???
I water my ZAlly everyday!.....feed every other....and fertilize every two weeks!! ....I think she will be ready soon!!
Sean Oelofse is offline Find More Posts by Sean Oelofse
Old May 23, 2011, 04:45 PM
Reached Composite Addiction
Portugal, Lisbon
Joined Apr 2007
314 Posts
Made myself VIMEO log in...
Now I have to figure out how to post the vid like U guys do...?

Zsally first flight (4 min 36 sec)

Think I just did it !!!!!

Im in the CARBON SALLY hall of fame!

LAYER
layer is offline Find More Posts by layer
Old May 23, 2011, 05:09 PM
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by layer View Post
Made myself VIMEO log in...
Now I have to figure out how to post the vid like U guys do...?

LAYER
Way to go, Layer!!! Some great flying, and inspirational music! I feel like the Sally is the key to defeat the dark side!!

Andy your wife's right, Dudley -- it IS the cutest damn plane!

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is online now Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Old May 23, 2011, 11:43 PM
Stirring the pot
Port Elizabeth South Africa
Joined Jun 2008
3,982 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by layer View Post

LAYER
You're in!!
johannlochner is offline Find More Posts by johannlochner
Old May 24, 2011, 03:19 AM
I scratchbuilt my SUPRA
Switzerland, AG, Lenzburg
Joined Jan 2006
1,873 Posts
Thank you guys for the encouragement, I am not sure about the fuse, I am thinking of making a lost foam, but it will be also interesting to make a mold :P I am not really planning on building many SALLYs so the lost foma methond seem good, but I would also like to recheck my skills making molds before I make the big one I had been working on :P what to dooo???

EZ
Edwinzea is offline Find More Posts by Edwinzea
Old May 24, 2011, 05:28 AM
certified insomniac
Durban SouthAfrica
Joined Feb 2007
584 Posts
dudly hows your zally fuz mold doing ↑↑↑↑
ziggx is offline Find More Posts by ziggx
Old May 24, 2011, 05:43 AM
scratch build everything
Joined Aug 2009
1,217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggx View Post
dudly hows your zally fuz mold doing ↑↑↑↑
It's curing
Plug will come out tomorrow night.
Old May 24, 2011, 06:58 AM
Portugal, Lisbon
Joined Apr 2007
314 Posts
Ahhrrrreemmm!

Dudley are U going to re-fire the candidates frenzy? Or are U applying the golf balls method?
Either way I would candidate myself to a replacement for any less fortunate hazardous death flight...
Zsally addiction!

LAYER
Old May 24, 2011, 07:19 AM
scratch build everything
Joined Aug 2009
1,217 Posts
Hey Layer,

I'm going to continue in the spirit that Steve and Johann intended. Show me your wings and I'll make you a fuse of course if you smash lose or pulverise yours I'll be happy to make you a new fuse

I'll just need a few days to try some layups and see if I can get a consistently strong, quality fuse.
Old May 24, 2011, 10:03 AM
Portugal, Lisbon
Joined Apr 2007
314 Posts
No wings yet.....

But I accept your kind offer!
If my beloved Zsally turns into dust, a clone will be more than welcome!
Old May 24, 2011, 10:04 AM
Building with TLAR precision
near Madison, WI
Joined Jan 2009
2,471 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudleyLeRoux View Post
Hey Layer,

I'm going to continue in the spirit that Steve and Johann intended. Show me your wings and I'll make you a fuse of course if you smash lose or pulverise yours I'll be happy to make you a new fuse

I'll just need a few days to try some layups and see if I can get a consistently strong, quality fuse.
You know, I made my fuse out of FG/CF tube cloth, two layers with lost foam, in the same design as the original. I've darted that thing into the ground more times than I care to count with no damage to the fuse at all. The wing, on the other hand, is showing some signs of abuse.

I have a question though. I made my wing with a sharp leading edge at the tip, not rounded like some of you have done -- more for simplicity than any other reason. I think my next one may be rounded with more reinforcement. How do you get the mylar to conform to the compound curve to get the two edges and the curve of the top and bottom to come together in the bag? It seems like it would leave a gap unless you cut the mylar, like you would if you used tape on a curve like that...

Thanks for any tips!

-= Dave
Zenmaniac is online now Find More Posts by Zenmaniac
Old May 24, 2011, 11:51 AM
Portugal, Lisbon
Joined Apr 2007
314 Posts
Hy ZEN,

I do the long way around...

I cut 2 layers of transparent film for the lay ups, each side (top/bottom), spray them 3M77 and join them, this usually works for the LE curve, the two film layers in vacuum tend to micro move and adjust to the deformation.

The round tips I just cut them shorter and repaint later to achieve a good finnish on the LE also... (the film round corners are shorter than the foam round tips)
This way U don't have the tips all crunched at the corners...

I read somewhere that U can sand the Mylar and try to achieve that slight curve...?

Hope that helps?

LAYER
Old May 24, 2011, 01:09 PM
scratch build everything
Joined Aug 2009
1,217 Posts
The best solution I have found is to 3M77 some CF or heavier glass onto the leading edge (use a lot of 3M77 or it will come loose when you wet it out). The gluing can be done before the layup onto the mylar starts. As soon as you start laying up the fabric onto the mylar, wet out the leading edge fabric until it is really shiny, don't stress about adding too much epoxy, it'll be fine in the vacuum bag. I do this with a foam roller and really push the LE fabric against the foam. With this done, the mylars need only reach the leading edge fabric to create a good leading edge although I cut my mylars so that the just barely meet at the LE. I have not found it necessary to sand the mylar edges with this wing. Since I've been using this method I have found my leading edges conform perfectly to the foam and produce an airfoil true LE.

I also sand my TE down to a fine point and allow the mylar to overhang by no more than 8mm. This is then trimmed down about 1mm past the foam TE once out of the bag.

It might also be interesting to know that if you are using peel-ply for your hinge, you do not want it to extend past your foam TE as it will leave some unsandable fluff. The only way I have managed to removed this fluff is by burning it off with a match.

When I have to rebuild this wing (it's bound to happen) I will pre-cut my servo wire channel and create a cabosil/epoxy mouting point in the wing before bagging it. I'll also add my aileron reinforcement to help with flexing of the ailerons.
Old May 24, 2011, 01:12 PM
scratch build everything
Joined Aug 2009
1,217 Posts
While i'm in the mood to type : I read in the Modelling Science forum that a sharp leading edge can cause pitch sensitivity, with one member having built a flying wing with a sharp leading edge that was unflyable until the LE was rounded correctly.