HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:31 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minivation View Post
Scratch one plane off the list.

I was flying the TB-20 Ghettoflyer Sunday. I decided to do a roll, but just by the time I leveled out, the right wing gave in, separating from the craft, making for a spectacular "landing."

Luckily I decided to use all my crappy electronics on the plane so there are no $50 digital servos damaged. But the resulting impact of the crash has totalled the weak foam fuselage and has also left the metal motor mount bent, which I "un-bent" to its normal shape. Motor was not too badly damaged (interestingly) as it nosed into a patch of grass on loose soil. This officially puts an end to the TB-20's short-lived 5-year service (during which 3 years it spent "dormant").

On a lighter note, my PC-6 is almost finished covering. Unfortunately, to my great distress, I cannot find the cockpit windshield. Maybe somebody in the house threw it away as trash thinking the plastic piece was nothing useful. Time to somehow devise a contraption to enable me to create a replacement...
Great pic minivation, sad moment wasn't it.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2012, 02:33 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
1,910 Posts
Haven't been out to fly in a while, just too busy, and when I get a few minutes to spare it been a bit windy around here. Hopefully Ill get some stick time in this week.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Jun 25, 2012, 12:23 PM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,925 Posts
I was out of town for a week so no flying!
Yesterday a bunch of the electric club members met and flew in the wind. 10-15MPH crosswind, woo hoo! Overall a very good day for us, with one exception. One of our guys flew his new 59" 3DHS Slick and on the 3rd or 4th flight he crashed it very hard, looks to be 100% loss. I think he had the rudder separate from the vert stab. It looked as though the top and bottom CA hinges pulled out and then snapped the middle one (or two?). There were traces of wood on the 2 that pulled out. He did the CA-ing as per the manual, so ....... Just a bad deal for him!
Don
dkrhardy is online now Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 25, 2012, 06:02 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,449 Posts
I braved cold conditions yesterday arvo for just three flights of my hotted up Mustang.

My fingers and thumbs were numb and had to call it a day.
Winter down here in the Southern Hemisphere, and looking forward to Summer already!
Grazer is online now Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Jan 2012
235 Posts
fly day

I went out on sunday to a new school field.This field was so good and big it looks like one of those park sceanery on sims.
Took my new Dynm Pitt Python out to do its maiden flight.
Take off was picture perfect, fling for about ten mins doing barrel rolls, loop, dead drops, inverted flight. Landed all most perfect.It would of been a picture perfect if it was not for the grass and not having my 2.5 " wheels on.But it was a great maiden flight.Only went through 1 battery, was getting to dark out.
Going out again tomorrow( wensday June 27) after work, weather permiting,
Buddy that came with me to fly...well he didnt have a good fling day,Fling stratos and the wings came off in mid-flight about 1000 feet up, then he switched to the super cub.He got it off the ground then did a nose dive and now needs a new cowl.
helifreak1 is offline Find More Posts by helifreak1
Old Jun 26, 2012, 02:42 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,131 Posts
went out this morning. the stars were not aligned for us....My new stunt planes wheels gear collapsed on takeoff putting holes in my wings. freinds Edge 580decides to try and pop it's own cowl off seizing the prop spinner to the cowl and having to dead stick landing. His F-18 has bowing wings while flying. upper and lower fuse halves were splitting apart! GOt his Habu out and I hand launch it for him, plane just flew off so heavy and landed on the field...sigh.....will try later....At least my GWS Islander flew nice...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jun 26, 2012, 04:19 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
I braved cold conditions yesterday arvo for just three flights of my hotted up Mustang.

My fingers and thumbs were numb and had to call it a day.
Winter down here in the Southern Hemisphere, and looking forward to Summer already!
Oh what I would give for some cool weather. 102' here today.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jun 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,449 Posts
Human beings. We are never happy.

Weekend wind forecast looks very favourable. Now to decide which of 30 planes I will fly. Haha!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:03 AM
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Oct 2010
3,925 Posts
Today is "supposed" to be 5 MPH wind, or less, all day. The temp is going to be mid to high 90's with a heat index about 105. Our club President sent out an email today reminding us to turn on the A/C in our clubhouse if we will be out there for a fairly long time. Us old guys shouldn't stay out too long without a cool down time! Several of us are going out today! A/C will be on!
Don
dkrhardy is online now Find More Posts by dkrhardy
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:05 AM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,442 Posts
The wind died down to 4-5 MPH here in San Diego County enough last night that I went out and maidened my new to me TechOne P51 Mustang. This is my first aileron plane after flying my 3 channel HZ Super Cub, HZ Champ and HZ Firebird Stratos for the last 2.5 months. It took me 3 tries/crashes to get her up in the air, but I finally did. She flew nice, kinda twitchy compared to my other planes, but once I got the hang of it, it was great. I chipped a bit of foam off one wing in my second crash, but no big deal, she still flew great. I am picking up a PZ T-28 Trojan PNP tonight and after flying the Mustang, I am pretty confident I will be able to fly the Trojan. I can't wait.
chucksolo69 is online now Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Jun 28, 2012, 10:30 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,131 Posts
those Mustangs are on the rail flying. I see a few guys around our field trying to learn on them....too twitchy even for me. Try a Thunderbolt instead...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Jun 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Joined Sep 2003
66 Posts
Nieuport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwolfe View Post
Oh what I would give for some cool weather. 102' here today.
Just happened to see your post. I am the guy who bought the little Nieuport. What a great little plane! She flies like a dream and the landings are a cinch. I am flying her with an AXI 2212/26 920kv motor with a 10-5 prop and a 2S 1000 mAh battery pack. I can get about six minutes of flight time. Thanks again for the good deal on this little jewel.
GSAV8R is offline Find More Posts by GSAV8R
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:12 AM
Joined Aug 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSAV8R View Post
Just happened to see your post. I am the guy who bought the little Nieuport. What a great little plane! She flies like a dream and the landings are a cinch. I am flying her with an AXI 2212/26 920kv motor with a 10-5 prop and a 2S 1000 mAh battery pack. I can get about six minutes of flight time. Thanks again for the good deal on this little jewel.
She looks great! I'm glad you're enjoying her!
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:36 AM
Lysdexic I'm
Spring, TX
Joined Oct 2010
1,333 Posts
Spring is getting some representation here!
I'm hoping to maiden another 63" Gee Bee Y Senior Sportster this eve. I got her all ready to go last night.
Spring people are flyin'!
HeeBeeGeeBee is offline Find More Posts by HeeBeeGeeBee
Last edited by HeeBeeGeeBee; Jun 29, 2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Add picture
Old Jun 29, 2012, 08:53 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,449 Posts
Calm winter afternoon. Flew Bixler carrying GoPro, P51 Mustang, Eflite MUS, Trojan with Power 10 and as it got dark, put my night Radian up.

Got through 16 batteries! Best session for a while.
RCG Plus Member