HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:58 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
The thing is though, the tail is perfect without the governor. It's only with the governor enabled that I get problems.
Some governor modes are fierce - like the Turnigy Superbrain, with no gain adjustments available. So there's really tight control of HS, but with frequent changes in motor power, and that can cause a tail twitch. I've seen that on my 450's, but only when there's also been something up with the tail, most of the time a sloppy linkage. I'm having no problems at the moment with a Tarot TL1200-02 forked slider mechanism, which has taken out at least 50% of the slop.

Having a tail swing on pitch pumps seems more like a gyro deficiency though. It's a pity all gyros can't have the collective and cyclic - tail compensation feature used on the ZYX and CX.

I don't suppose you're running a really low HS? That would weaken the tail, and make any tail problems worse.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hk500 tt fbl
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle777 View Post
Also 500L motor comes down pretty hot. I thought that was normal, the guy I fly with flies pretty soft 3D, but his 600 L type motor is really warm after a flight.

Thanks mhills, that sounds like my problem. Get rid of the gov, go 12T and I should get a few 2600mah packs also.
Yeah agree with mhills...gearing down and setting your throttle curve for a max 2700 head speed should get you in the right direction. Also in the future look into running the smaller 2600 6s packs for less weight and better performance.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Dec 05, 2012, 05:10 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,794 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Some governor modes are fierce - like the Turnigy Superbrain, with no gain adjustments available. So there's really tight control of HS, but with frequent changes in motor power, and that can cause a tail twitch. I've seen that on my 450's, but only when there's also been something up with the tail, most of the time a sloppy linkage. I'm having no problems at the moment with a Tarot TL1200-02 forked slider mechanism, which has taken out at least 50% of the slop.

Having a tail swing on pitch pumps seems more like a gyro deficiency though. It's a pity all gyros can't have the collective and cyclic - tail compensation feature used on the ZYX and CX.
The Robird G31 has cyclic and collective torque compensation.

This problem is only present with the governor enabled. With the governor off the tail stays glued in place during hard climbs and pitch pumps. Likewise the gyro holds the tail like a robot during flips, you can flip with no yaw correction at all and it stays perfectly straight through the entire flip.

Quote:
I don't suppose you're running a really low HS? That would weaken the tail, and make any tail problems worse.
I run at around 2400 RPM. I know some people here would consider that low but the manual recommends 2600 maximum and 2400 is still well above the 2100 recommended for sport flying.

Quote:
So there's really tight control of HS, but with frequent changes in motor power, and that can cause a tail twitch. I've seen that on my 450's, but only when there's also been something up with the tail, most of the time a sloppy linkage. I'm having no problems at the moment with a Tarot TL1200-02 forked slider mechanism, which has taken out at least 50% of the slop.
I would estimate that with the 500 Pro bellcrank, slider and tail grips installed the slop on the tail blades is less than 1mm.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Dec 05, 2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:16 PM
Just fly
Australia, VIC, Glen Waverley
Joined Jan 2011
1,948 Posts
Burnt out ESC

After my first real failure on the 500 i though I'll post up some pics of the burnt out Hobbyking SS70/80A ESC

For the $20 I spent I did get just over 150 flights. I guess you get what you pay for
evltoy is offline Find More Posts by evltoy
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:26 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
You're lucky. The YEP 80A ESC's are still in stock at HK. Get one of those and a program card. They're the best ESC for the money, ATM.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ontroller.html
beenflying is offline Find More Posts by beenflying
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:32 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
1,948 Posts
Will do beenflying

I will be getting few YEP for the 500's, 550 and thinking to add one to the 450 too.

As I have a budget per month for this hobby I have to wait till next week or so to buy. I just hope they are still around by then.

On the topic of the YEP.. I did read somewhere that people are putting heat sinks on them. Is this a must?
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:41 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evltoy View Post
After my first real failure on the 500 i though I'll post up some pics of the burnt out Hobbyking SS70/80A ESC

For the $20 I spent I did get just over 150 flights. I guess you get what you pay for
Was the solder bad on that centre motor lead? Looks like heat there and on one side of the pcb.
2Doggs is offline Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hk500 tt fbl
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:44 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
1,948 Posts
Solder was fine. The fire/heat must have been very hot as it desoldered a few components.

I just hope it was a faulty component on the ESC side and nothing to do with the motor. last thing i want happening is that I put a new ESC in and it fries from the motor
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:57 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Quote:
Will do beenflying

I will be getting few YEP for the 500's, 550 and thinking to add one to the 450 too.

As I have a budget per month for this hobby I have to wait till next week or so to buy. I just hope they are still around by then.

On the topic of the YEP.. I did read somewhere that people are putting heat sinks on them. Is this a must?
That's interesting. My understanding is they run really cool. Certainly the 80A one in my 500 does. But perhaps that's because it's way more amps than it really needs.

Just watch out with the 45A one. It's big and quite heavy, but in staying that I don't know what else to suggest that's much smaller and still has a soft start, an excellent governor and a 6A BEC.
Last edited by beenflying; Dec 05, 2012 at 07:03 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:06 PM
as much as I can
NZ
Joined Jan 2010
4,678 Posts
Also if HobbyKing run out of the YEP ESC's, I can vouch for www.hobbydream.com, who have a good stock of the himodel ones. The even have a very good price on the 100A version.
http://www.hobbydream.com/index.php?...ort=20a&page=2

Himodel charge you the Paypal interest and Hobby Dream don't.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:19 PM
Just fly
Joined Jan 2011
1,948 Posts
will the program card for the YEP from HK work with the himodel?

thanks for the heads up on the 45A YEP. I may rethink and get another plush.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:22 PM
ich liebe Rc Hubschrauber
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
I tried the 540 Sport version and I didn't like them, the shoulder bolts that hold the CF skids to the metal brackets are designed to have slop and allow the skids to move.. I'd rather have the Gorilla gear as they will save your helicopter in a hard landing.

Received the c.f 450 landing gear in today. I like it. ( change is good) I did not have a problem with any slop in the shoulder bolts. They came with some foam tape. just placed a bit in between c.f and metal shoulder. And its a very tight fit.
Whats really nice about these landing skids it puts the tail fin up off the ground. Would be pretty hard to do any tail scrapes now. This 450 will look even better once i get some all black c.f blades & tail boom to match it all up.
Like it so much I'll buy a set for the 500 as well.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:22 PM
Joined Dec 2011
2,794 Posts
Cheap EFL and Pro canopies.

http://www.flying-hobby.com/shop/can...-c-96_179.html

No predrilled holes so you can just drill the upper holes for use on a 500 ESP (hook it under the skids, don't use the clip or it will crack it)

After flying the Pro canopy I got from HK I can't go back to the standard canopy anymore because it make the helicopter looks undersized to me.

EDIT: Blah their shipping is ridiculous.

EDIT: But not so bad if you order several.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Dec 05, 2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:30 PM
ich liebe Rc Hubschrauber
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,136 Posts
Quote:
After my first real failure on the 500 i though I'll post up some pics of the burnt out Hobby king SS70/80A ESC

I tried one of those Hk esc one time for a 500 i had . The slow start was terrible. Then had my fill of aligns 70amp esc. The damn capacitors would always vibrate off.
Very happy with the hobbywing esc's. Great slow start and capacitors are shrink wrapped.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:35 PM
kansas city
Joined Feb 2007
11,246 Posts
You can also get the Himodel speedcontrols from hobbydream. That is where I got my programmer and the 150A.

Sorry brain fart! I didn't see you already listed them.
mhills51 is offline Find More Posts by mhills51
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: MD500E 600 size build