SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 05, 2014, 11:39 AM
Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,397 Posts
Don, yes I totally agree with you on the arming switch / interruption device. As a fellow who made his living working on / repairing industrial equipment that could tear a person to shreds, I have a very healthy respect for locking out all energy systems. I still intend to install a plug or switch, but if it can be used in conjunction with an Rx safety then that is just an added bonus.

I do believe the CC Edge ESC I'm using cannot go hot until it is plugged into a power supply, which will be from a separate battery feed. A switch will go in line with the Rx battery too for isolation. But you are quite correct that a moments lack of attention making sure the Rx switch is off could lead to a very painful ecounter . I do not wish to tangle with this motor in a live state unless all my and anybody else's body parts are well out of the way.

Felt the call of the river again this morning, it is very tough to ignore! Oh well, whether I'm fishing or flying, I'm not working, and that's all good! Winds here have been persistent too. Have not seen a calm day for about two weeks now. I did manage to roll my own field last evening, should help tame some of the winter damage.

Neil
Rem Fodder is online now Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
to remove ads between posts
Old May 30, 2014, 01:31 PM
Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,762 Posts
Here are my 2 planes I had at Joe Nall this year. I must have put 15 flights on my Waco. The Monocoupe I have had for 4 plus years. Still flying strong
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Jun 01, 2014, 06:45 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,397 Posts
Nice work AV8n, all work on my bench has ground to a complete halt. Last flying I did was in late March before the snow completely melted (I love flying in winter with skis). I'm hoping to rectify the flying part soon. Work at my job has slowed down, but I'm still playing catch up to all chores around the property. At least the fishing distraction has somewhat subsided . Can't see any building on the WACO happening for quite a while. Have you got any flying video of your WACO or your Monocoupe? Would love to see some if you do.
Old Jun 03, 2014, 06:20 PM
Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Jeff Carr
Ft. Mill SC / Charlotte NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,762 Posts
I'll see what I can come up with. I did realize the other day that it flies just as good on 5s as it does on 6s. I grabbed the wrong battery and didn't look at it until I was done flying. So now I can safely use both and not worry. Although I think I may have been pushing to many amps when the other 6s pack made it's way into the Monocoupe. It's suppose to be 10s and with the wrong battery was at 11s.

Good to finally figure out why the monocoupe just didn't seem right. I'll have to mark my batteries a little better

Jeff
Goinav8n is offline Find More Posts by Goinav8n
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:23 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,397 Posts
Well, after taking a long hiatus from this kit build, the time has come to get it back on the bench once again.

Need to finish up with the new motor mount installation first before moving on to the rest of the assembly. Plan is to glue the "H" mount in place and add some triangular stock in critical areas to beef it up. Will add a plywood plate to the "H" mount for the 100 amp ESC to attach to. I intend to drill some cooling holes into the main firewall to aid in venting out the battery bay. The hole locations will wait until I figure out the final position and location of the battery packs.

My original plan was to finish the general assembly of the kit, then set the plane up for a C of G check with the batteries I have. Move them around to see where the final location of the packs should be. Last thing I want is to add any balancing weights. By that point I should be able to determine if the batteries will go in through the forward cockpit opening or through a hatch cut into the top side of the fuselage behind the firewall.

I will keep an update going as work progresses.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Tama, Iowa USA
Joined Dec 2007
595 Posts
Hi Rem. Glad to see you're finishing up the Waco.

Mine balanced perfect with the battery in the front, right behind the firewall. No other ballast required. That's 5 cells Blue lipo, and a Rimfire 1.20 motor. Your mileage may vary, lol.

My aircraft have all been nearly dormant since about late May. Other, non R/C life requirements taking up time. The Waco is about the only one of the fleet that is actually in full flying condition! Altho' I do have one of the new Spectrum programmable AS3X 6 channel receivers I want to put in it, to try out. The one that comes in the E-Flite big Carbon Z Cub works fantastic! I can fly that 7lb (approximately) 86" wingspan foamy in 30mph wind in full confidence, and have real fun with it! It should really smooth out the bounciness of the Waco.

Good luck on yours. Hope you get to fly it this spring. You will love it.

Don H
Staggerflyer is offline Find More Posts by Staggerflyer
Old Jan 24, 2015, 04:18 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,397 Posts
Thanks Don, appreciate the support. I finally managed to clear off a home improvement project that's been taking up most of my spare time this past few months and now it's time to get back to work on the WACO.

Tomorrow is the start of my weekend so I'm planning to spend some time on the assembly. I drilled the firewall with some 3/4 and 7/8 diameter holes for cooling air to pass through into the battery bay. Everything looks good so far. The 100 amp CC ESC has been test fitted on top of the motor mount extension and sits in there like it was made for it. I would like to see the mount fixed in place with the motor, ESC and get the cowl attached to its mounting rings tomorrow. Anything done after that will be a bonus depending on the time I have. There is an unknown (to me at least) and unopened, bottle of Scotland's finest in my cabinet waiting for me to taste. Sitting down at the model bench for a few hours will provide the perfect excuse to sample it!
Old Jan 25, 2015, 10:02 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,397 Posts
Finally got the motor in place and ESC located. Cowl rings are fitted and tomorrow the cowl should be on. I need to make up a cradle to hold the fuselage, especially for the radio gear install and such, so that may be a job for tomorrow as well.

Second picture shows venting holes in bottom of firewall. Hoping these should be sufficient to get some air passing through the fuselage.

Been thinking of doing the mail plane version, love the look of the single cockpit. I will decide later once I have figured out battery location. I'm hoping to cut the battery hatch behind the firewall as opposed to going through the front cockpit.
Old Jan 26, 2015, 08:30 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,397 Posts
Managed to get the cradle built today. My hopes were to make the cradle adjustable to accommodate different size models. Also I wanted to make it so that the aft end and front end can be leveled to each other. To do this I used nylon webbing left over from some project in the past. All materials used were left over bits and scraps in the wood shop. So far so good. When the model is in the cradle and the uprights are adjusted inward, the model is held quite snug. Right now the adjustable side of the strap is just held to the uprights with thumb tacks. I need to find some sort of clasp to make the bands 100% adjustable while remaining attached to the cradle. I tried out my Dynam WACO in the cradle and after a few moments had it adjusted to fit. The aft fuselage of the Dynam is not held quite as snug as the GP WACO, as the range of adjustment is the same as the forward cradle, 6" to 11" wide. I can alter the adjustment easily to make it a narrower range, for now I'm content with its function.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Life is a Hobby
Canada, ON, Delhi
Joined Aug 2012
1,217 Posts
Fodder.............looking great. Nice build.

I just finished up a TF P47 gasser kit over in Fuel Warbirds and am back in this Conversion forum with the GP P51. Did the GP F4U last Winter which turned out great. Flew it all Summer.

Will be watching your WACO build. Good luck.

Bill
erie_flyer is online now Find More Posts by erie_flyer
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:18 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,397 Posts
Thanks for the support Bill, it is most appreciated. My work week started yesterday, so time will be at a premium the next few days. The construction is progressing, all the tail feathers were attached yesterday and the cowl is mounted. It is at this point that I'm realizing just how big this model is, and I'm liking it! Funny thing, after I get this project completed the build lineup is going the exact opposite way, I'm going to attempt converting an old Guillow's free flight kit from the '70's to micro electric RC. Should be a challenge, as I'm discovering so far. Going to spend a little bit of time on the WACO today, mostly on the wings. So far the cradle is working like a dream, no chasing the kit over the workbench when I'm trying to do something to it.

Neil
Old Feb 04, 2015, 08:31 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,397 Posts
Basic assembly is complete and I can now try and figure out the best location for battery placement. So far everything has gone together very well. Attaching the wings to the struts is a bit of a pain, one of the interplane struts has a small twist at one end. While annoying, the strut can still be brought to the tabs and attached. I noticed during the strut attachment that there is a fair bit of sprung pre-load placed on the struts which I was a concerned about, but after getting it all together seems to tighten up the structure quite a bit.
Old Feb 04, 2015, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by DeLaReef123
United States, CA, Orange
Joined Mar 2014
253 Posts
Looks real good Rem, SUPER JEALOUS I have been eyeing this model for some time. once you have flown it would love your opinion on how it handles as compared to its foamy little brother.

You thinking about running flying wires?
DeLaReef123 is online now Find More Posts by DeLaReef123
Old Feb 04, 2015, 08:58 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,397 Posts
There is another WACO conversion thread out there on RCG, and somewhere in the thread one of the guys put up a video. From what I understand, the P110 I'm using will make this bird climb like a homesick angel. From what is said about the GP version, it flies in a pretty docile manner, not unlike our foam version. Will see how time permits the next few days as to how much progress I can make with it. Not sure about rigging this one, wing removal for transport seems like a must, not to mention merely getting it out of the house in one piece.

Now that we have some decent snow on the ground I hope to get the Beaver doing some winter flying.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 04:40 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,397 Posts
Today I did the C of G check with the model 99% assembled (no wheel pants, fairings or Rx battery on board. I got her to balance out pretty much where its specified in the manual, if I use the dual 4000 mah packs, the best location for the batteries indicated, is to have the centre of the battery mass located approx 3 1/2" behind the firewall. After going back to Staggerflyers build thread, http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456945, and examining some of the battery placement locations, it became apparent that the batteries need to be centered somewhere under the forward instrument panel. My plan was to cut a hatch behind the firewall and slide the batteries at an angle rearward through the gas tank bulkhead to rest over the landing gear mounting plate.

The hatch was cut out to the lines drawn on the fuselage, then trimmed back to the nearest longerons of the cut. I will make a new tighter fitting hatch to replace the cut out. Once that was achieved the next thing was to trim away some of the gas tank bulkhead for side to side clearance and vertical clearances of the battery tray assembly. See pictures. Next I trial cut some angular supports for the new battery tray out of some scrap 3/16" ply to get the contact angles right from the firewall to the gas tank bulkhead. I dry fitted them in place, set some thinner ply on the supports and slide a battery in to see what's what. Fits beautifully in place and pulls right out in one easy motion. Next task is to build the new battery tray. Have to sharpen the pencil tonight and hit the drawing board for a design.