SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 08, 2015, 03:54 AM
Find More Posts by Silkworm
Germany, BY, M
Joined Nov 2013
49 Posts
Pushrod mod: which one?

I was just about to install the pushrods when I read about the bending/snaking issue. Now I'm wondering whether I should do the "tube" mod or the "thicker pushrod" mod.

The "thicker pushrod" mod seems easier, but I don't understand why people replace the stock guides with zip ties for that. The heads of the pushrod guides are 2.7mm wide (I have the plastic ones), so a 1.5mm drill would still leave maybe 0.5mm on each side. Isn't that enough?

-Jörg
Silkworm is offline Find More Posts by Silkworm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2015, 08:04 AM
Find More Posts by turbovector
"Kneel before Zod!"
Tacoma, WA. USA
Joined Dec 2003
525 Posts
I use 2mm rod with no guides, never had an issue with flexing.
turbovector is offline Find More Posts by turbovector
Old Jul 09, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by GoAround
Can't fly 3D for toffee ...
United Kingdom, Taunton
Joined Dec 2012
1,606 Posts
I used 1.5mm guides and two zip tie clips to guide each one. Mine came with wooden guides. I doubt they could have been drilled big enough but the zip tie guides work so well that I wouldn't even have bothered trying to drill.
GoAround is online now Find More Posts by GoAround
Old Jul 10, 2015, 08:22 AM
Find More Posts by John.G
love to fly, hate to crash
Fort Erie Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2005
563 Posts
Well I finally got out and did my maiden with my Beaver and found it to be a very smooth flyer and I'm looking forward to exploring this plane. I used some 2/500 25c packs and it was flying on the wing and was wondering why. Closer look and realised I had a 9/7 GWS instead of a 9/4 so way to much for the power setup but I didn't smoke anything which is always nice. Next time out I'm going to try a 8/4 on a 3 cell and see how it does as well I will try a proper prop on the 2 cell pack. Its a great flyer for sure. John
John.G is offline Find More Posts by John.G
Old Jul 13, 2015, 04:02 PM
Find More Posts by ekb847
KU JayHawk '87
United States, GA, Reynolds
Joined Feb 2015
181 Posts
Taranis model for Crack Turbo Beaver

This has probably been done many times but I was not able to find a Taranis/OpenTX model for the Crack Turbo Beaver that I liked, so I am building one myself. I am trying to keep the design simple but stick to the setup recommended in the Jeff Williams youtube video.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y5zhswpk2e...aver.eepe?dl=0

I use the following:
SB(middle) and SC(middle) normal flight controls
SB(up) and SC(middle) spoilers (set to 60%)
SB(down) and SC(middle) flaps (set to 70%)
SB(middle) and SC(up) ailerons and elevators up/down together
SB(middle) and SC(down) ailerons and elevators up/down opposite
- Each switch combination turns on a Logical Switch and has audible indicator
- The listed switch positions all point to a unique Flight Mode
- Unlisted switch positions result in error beep

Jeff recommends using max rates but I built in reduced rates just to have them.
SG (up) - maximum rates 100% throw with 60% expo
SG (middle) - middle rates 75% throw with 30% expo
SG (down) - low rates 50% throw with 10% expo
Rates effect Aileron, Elevator and Rudder

I have tried to keep all tweaks necessary to personalize to your plane in the Servos tab.

Feel free to use and to comment on. I am new to this so if I have missed something, please let me know. Also, I am still flight testing all of this, so I will continue to make changes as I fix problems.
ekb847 is offline Find More Posts by ekb847
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:22 PM
Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Fly safe, fly often!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,437 Posts

I consider myself an "intermediate" flyer and I'm getting ready to build the CTB

With a 9 ch radio and 10 ch receiver, my plan is to set it up with very basic controls (aileron, elevator, rudder, and throttle with different rates) and then add the fancy stuff later by copying the basic program from my radio to a new program and then editing the new program for flaperons, spoilerons, and so forth.

Does that plan seem like a good way to start using this airplane? I've never used any controls beyond the basics.

I'm really looking forward to building and flying this airplane!

Thank you

Buzz_Man is online now Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by quadracer
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
United States, IN, Derby
Joined Feb 2012
4,718 Posts
No need for a 10ch rx... Adds a lot of dead weight
quadracer is offline Find More Posts by quadracer
Old Jul 15, 2015, 12:59 PM
Find More Posts by cdee
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
2,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz_Man View Post

I consider myself an "intermediate" flyer and I'm getting ready to build the CTB

With a 9 ch radio and 10 ch receiver, my plan is to set it up with very basic controls (aileron, elevator, rudder, and throttle with different rates) and then add the fancy stuff later by copying the basic program from my radio to a new program and then editing the new program for flaperons, spoilerons, and so forth.

Does that plan seem like a good way to start using this airplane? I've never used any controls beyond the basics.

I'm really looking forward to building and flying this airplane!

Thank you

There are lots of different ways to approach this. What you suggest is certainly one method and nothing wrong with it. For the Mixes that you set up, you will want to do so they can be turned on or off.... for that reason there would really be no need for an additional model program.

As you get comfortable with the basic controls..... start adding in the mixes and get comfortable with the switches that control them.

cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Last edited by cdee; Jul 15, 2015 at 02:39 PM.