New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2015, 09:55 PM
Find More Posts by WR_Rider
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
Help!
Help with a weird flying characteristics...

I flew my 2nd Nuance 70 today and it has the same flying characteristic that the first one did. While for pattern flying as well as most normal sport flying you would never notice this, it still exsists.

If I pull full up elevator (full flying stab), the airplane will roll or snap out to the right at the end of the loop. If I do the same pushing from inverted it will not do this and I can do multiple loops. ( the stab is deflecting the same amount in both direction).

It's almost like a tip stall at the end of the loop. Not at the top of the loop but when the loop is almost compete. What's odd is this happened one my 1st nuance as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks
WR_Rider is offline Find More Posts by WR_Rider
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:21 PM
Find More Posts by Da Big_G
"Get off the runway!"
United States, TX, Hutto
Joined May 2012
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WR_Rider View Post
I flew my 2nd Nuance 70 today and it has the same flying characteristic that the first one did. While for pattern flying as well as most normal sport flying you would never notice this, it still exsists.

If I pull full up elevator (full flying stab), the airplane will roll or snap out to the right at the end of the loop. If I do the same pushing from inverted it will not do this and I can do multiple loops. ( the stab is deflecting the same amount in both direction).

It's almost like a tip stall at the end of the loop. Not at the top of the loop but when the loop is almost compete. What's odd is this happened one my 1st nuance as well.

Thoughts?

Thanks
My 2M Vanquish will do this too, as well as many other planes. You are exceeding the critical angle of attack, and the wing is stalling. Reduce the elevator throws so that you have just enough to pull a nice loop.

Reminds me of the plane I had in the '80's..a Cap-21. It took on a well deserved nick-name in the r/c hobby...Snap-21....
Da Big_G is offline Find More Posts by Da Big_G
Old Jun 28, 2015, 12:45 AM
Find More Posts by WR_Rider
Joined Jun 2014
353 Posts
I concidered the stalling aspect but it seemed odd to me that it didn't do it on the first half the loop but after the loop was coming to an end. I have a d/r set that I practice the patterns with, so I don't usually encounter this, but still noticed it during setup.

Thanks
WR_Rider is offline Find More Posts by WR_Rider
Old Jun 28, 2015, 04:56 AM
Find More Posts by UKMouldy
United Kingdom, England, Hants
Joined Aug 2014
216 Posts
With full stick what sort of deflection are you getting on the stab? With the Fantasista, (120), I have ten degrees of up and down with 35% exponential. With this setting I am using, (at a guess), around half stick movement, maybe just over depending on the point in the loop. I only need full stick at high rate, (fourteen degrees), for spins, everything else, (including snaps), work perfectly well at ten degrees of movement.

Just to be clear, the Fantasista also has a full flying stab.
UKMouldy is offline Find More Posts by UKMouldy
Old Jun 28, 2015, 10:07 AM
ltc
Find More Posts by ltc
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
3,514 Posts
Akiba has added the "dog tooth" to the main wing on the Fantasista (currently on the 70 and supposedly the new 110/120)

He has also added the "dog tooth" to the flyng stab on the Fantasista Evolution
http://www.ctt.ne.jp/~wcraft/
(See photo)

I wonder if these changes were address this condition?
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2015, 01:39 PM
Find More Posts by flydynamics
Joined Jul 2011
266 Posts
You're stalling dude .. that's it
flydynamics is offline Find More Posts by flydynamics
Old Jun 28, 2015, 09:46 PM
Find More Posts by 308jockey
Joined May 2011
222 Posts
An accelerated stall, I don't see this often in a pattern plane but certainly do in a number of IMAC style planes, especially some earlier ones from H9 and Midwest.

Rick H.
308jockey is offline Find More Posts by 308jockey