HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2008, 10:11 PM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
Discussion
Trouble with new RC-Tek all metal tail

Hello all,

I've got two Trex's (one SA and one older XL CCPM) and recently purchased two RC-tek parts. The Balanced tail grip assembly went on the SA tail and its working perfectly. The tail seems to hold much better and I'm very happy.

The old setup got the All Metal Tail Assembly and I'm having some issues. I installed the thing with the tension roller up and the blades on the right side of the heli (if your looking forward) and Triple checked the belt (plus the tail blades spin up into the main blades rather than down away from them). I then put the slider in the middle (like I've always done with my GY 401 setup) and let the Head Holding take over.

Well all was good in a hover but it can't handle any kind of a punch out without spinning. The piro rate is really poor in one direction as well.

I'm running a Futaba 9257 servo with a gy 401 gyro and the K&B tail blades. Now my stock Trex tail setups had the tail blade pitch at zero when the slider was centered. This seems to have some pitch when the slider is centered and I'm afraid its the wrong way (like I've got something on backwards). It looks like the slider has to move over even further to counter act the torque while hovering and thus has no pitch left to deal with any kind of a punchout.

any ideas? Are there directions somewhere and I missed them. I tried the RC-tek site but may not have seen them.

Any help is much appreciated.

Daniel
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:44 AM
El Cajon, CA, USA
Joined Feb 2001
801 Posts
Well I think I've figured it out. I sat down with both heli's in front of me and started comparing everything I could with the two tails. After a good 10 minutes it became obvious to me that the balanced blade grip assembly on the completed setup was set about 1/8 in on the shaft and thus was really limiting my tail pitch range in one direction. I pulled the set screw out and was a bit disappointed to find no loctite on it but Finless is right. The ARF helis are just there to make it easier for us to double check everything. Not for us to blindly trust.

Anyway I'm up to full pitch range now and I've double checked EVERYTHING loctite wise on that tail. Only problem now is that the sun isn't up and I have to wait 8 more hours to test it out.

Will let you know what I find. I'm sure excited to test my tail. I'm hoping to have a great flight. between a sweet gyro (GY 401), Tail servo (9257) and a slop free tail the biggest weak link is gonna be me.
Munch is offline Find More Posts by Munch
Old Feb 27, 2008, 05:04 PM
United States, GA, Roswell
Joined Mar 2007
1,237 Posts
Glad you figured it out. My rct tail was awesome.... prio'd so fast it was insane!!!
hurleybt is offline Find More Posts by hurleybt