HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 18, 2001, 06:14 AM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
Engine and gun noises for rc planes

I was in my lhs today and they had an RC Tamiya Tiger tank that comes with a sound generator that produces engine sounds and main gun and machine gun sounds,also leds in the barrels flashed when the guns were fired.
Now I know this goes against one of the main reasons for electric flight namely quiet operation,but does anyone know of suppliers of this type of equipment for aircraft and would it be light enough and small enough for eflight
Cheers Rich
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
to remove ads between posts
Old May 18, 2001, 06:20 AM
Dundas, ON Canada
Joined Feb 2001
1,262 Posts
What an excellent idea! On an electric you would actually be able to hear the sounds. Great to put on a scale WWII aircraft...

Rob
rscamp is offline Find More Posts by rscamp
Old May 18, 2001, 06:27 AM
What's a Member??
Sydney,Australia
Joined Mar 2000
632 Posts
A while ago there was a discussion about a similar thing, maybe you could try a search for it. If I remember correctly it was started by "Bleriot" but don't quote me on this
Alex
Regecide is offline Find More Posts by Regecide
Old May 18, 2001, 09:15 AM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,066 Posts
Try RAM. They make a bunch of sound effect electronic boards (as well as lighting) for R/C use. I don't think they have a website yet.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old May 18, 2001, 11:09 AM
rebmeM roineS
Rockingham, Perth - Western Australia
Joined Apr 2001
615 Posts
If that Tamiya tank has the sound you want, buy it and rip the guts out of it.
MrBungle is offline Find More Posts by MrBungle
Old May 18, 2001, 11:35 AM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
Hheeh, That Tamiya King Tiger costs about 660$, You won't be ripping anything out of that. Besides, I don't know of an Airplane that has a Maybach engine. Actually, maybe one does?
I know our m4 sherman tanks, I heard use radial engines that were in some of our trainers.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old May 18, 2001, 06:54 PM
Fe Fi Fo Fum
Useless Loop, Australia
Joined Apr 2001
1,293 Posts
Hi guys thanks for the replies,
The main problem with the Tiger apart from the $1440 ask was the size and weight of the sond generator box.
Who is RAM?,is that their trading name or is that short for something like NESP?.
Thanks again,Rich.
Large One is offline Find More Posts by Large One
Old May 19, 2001, 11:15 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
model train guys do this
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old May 20, 2001, 12:39 AM
rebmeM roineS
Rockingham, Perth - Western Australia
Joined Apr 2001
615 Posts
$660US/$1440Aus. for a model tank???!!!.....jeeperz
It would want to be gold plated at that price!
Im sticking to balsa and foam
MrBungle is offline Find More Posts by MrBungle
Old May 20, 2001, 03:12 PM
Oxford(ish), England
Joined Feb 2001
389 Posts
I've seen good results with high-instensity LED's in the wings of fighter... Electronic sounds should not be a problem, other than getting the volume high enough!
gdb1973 is offline Find More Posts by gdb1973
Old May 20, 2001, 11:40 PM
Gary, IN, USA
Joined Jul 1999
948 Posts
Sound decreases dramatically with distance and gets even worse as ambient background sounds cover it. I found the best machine gun sound comes from any simple single sound toy gun. The gun is not important since the board is all you need. I put mine in the transmitter with a new standard style speaker from Radio Shack that cold also be wedged in. Drill small holes in front of the speaker to let the sound out. A small push button momentary ON switch convenient to a thumb "fires" the weapon. One of mine is powered by an alkaline 9v battery and the other taps off the alkaline battery in the Hitec single stick transmitter.
Discovered that most children under 12 have no idea what aircraft machine guns are. They are in the age of missiles, lasers and cannons.
Arming the transmitter opens a new area of fun.
Jim Petro is offline Find More Posts by Jim Petro
Old May 20, 2001, 11:49 PM
MK
NJ
Joined Feb 2001
1,066 Posts
RAM is the company's name.

Here's some info (although according to Tower, it's temporarily unavailable).
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXDZ58&P=7

They do make a ton of other sound effects boards (maybe even additional machine gun sounds). Look in your local R/C plane magazine. Maybe their website will be up soon.
MK is offline Find More Posts by MK
Old May 21, 2001, 12:55 AM
Strange Plane Central
Poway (near San Diego), CA US
Joined Dec 2000
1,883 Posts
Tons of toys have sound boards. Is there a easy way to connect the power leads to a unused servo slot on the receiver without using an electronic switch or ESC?
Micro servo switch one possibilty if weight were not a consideration. A separate toy radio with a hundred foot range would work also. We can't hear that far anyway.
frankenfoamy is offline Find More Posts by frankenfoamy