HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:55 AM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Question
V911 defective?? Or I'm defective? lol

So.... I'm totally new to this.... just got a 3.5 channel heli about a week ago and got totally addicted (seriously... I think I might be fired... I took some days off to play with it!) and wanted a 4 channel so I ordered the V911.... because it was pretty. And it also will fly outside. But that would require going outside and probably having grass to fly it over so I was mostly going to use it in the house. But there's a few things

Thing 1: Out of the box it flew all crazy batty and attacked me and my cats... I did some manual trim adjusting as per the instructions on a different thread here and it did stop trying to kill me for the most part. I have to assume part of the reason it's trying to kill me is cause I'm not good at flying it... There's still quite a bit of drift to the side but it can't make up it's mind which side.

Thing 2: When I go to kill the throttle... it still keeps going unless I bring it all the way down and then kick it over to one side - a few times that hasn't worked though and it's been going all crazy on the floor till I jiggle the throttle around - it gets worse as the battery gets low... is this normal? I have nothing to compare it to other than a few infrared 3 channels.

Thing 3: It said 6-7 minutes of fly time is average per battery charge but I'm getting about 3-4 minutes until it starts getting all weird and won't respond to the throttle up/down smoothly and becomes impossible to control....?

Did I get a defective one or is all of this part of the challenge of flying it? I'd appreciate any feedback - thanks!
Lucille is online now Find More Posts by Lucille
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2014, 11:33 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
Most helis tend to get unruly when the battery gets low. Your battery will last longer if you stop flying when it starts to act up. It's not a good battery or charger, so your results will vary.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Aug 06, 2014, 12:11 PM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,969 Posts
They look so easy to fly - until your first time at the controls. Then you and the cats better take cover!! 5 minutes is the typical flight time. More than that and the battery overheats. Unlike normal batteries - lithium polymer batteries can not discharged below a certain point without damaging them. The damage is permanent. They cannot be fixed. They have to be replaced. After replacing a few of them you start using a timer so you don't go over that 5 minute flight time. The good news is the more you practice the more controlled that 5 minutes will be - until you are flying it around the room and the cats are in line waiting for their turn at the controls. I haven't seen any cats flying one yet - but given enough patience and kibble I'm sure you can teach them. Have a great flight and put on your safety goggles. Those rotors can give you a pretty mean bite when they hit you.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 06, 2014, 03:21 PM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
Thanks for your replies. I will time my flights to 5 minutes but I don't seem to be getting more than 2 usable minutes of flight out of each charge. It comes with two batteries and it doesn't matter which I use. I've been driving myself crazy and using a stopwatch to time it - about two minutes into each flight the copter descends uncontrollably and pushing up on the throttle does nothing... afterwards I can't get it to come back up for another 20 seconds or so and then the throttle has to be raised almost all the way to the top... the copter seems to think about it for a second or two and then when it finally figures out what I want it to do it flies up and slams the ceiling. I've made numerous attempts to be gentle and gradually raise the throttle giving it time to react but it won't raise the copter until all of the sudden......

For the first two minutes though it's very stable and I can control it pretty well - I wouldn't win any living room aviation awards or anything as I'm still clunky with the controls but I can make it go basically where I want it to and have managed to avoid running into any walls and can work it well enough to keep it up when I want it up and bring it down when I want it down.... I'm driving myself crazy flying it over and over trying to figure out if what happens during minute two is the helicopter and/or remote glitching or if it's me glitching???
Old Aug 06, 2014, 04:32 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
You need to check voltage with a voltmeter to be able to make any educated guess about what's going on. It could be motors, batteries, charger, etc. Decent quality costs in the $200 range.
Old Aug 06, 2014, 06:15 PM
I win again!! - mother gravity
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
.......Decent quality costs in the $200 range.
yes, that is correct, but i think it's a great idea to try yourself out on these cheaper ones to see if you have the "flying buds" tuned right and you get sucked into the hobby vacuum

good luck on your heli. the jiggly throttle could be the transmitter maybe...? i got a v912 for my little cousin last year and his throttle stick felt a little funny....well, for my liking anyways, but amazingly it flew no prob out of the box! talk about $70 RTF

hey, keep an eye on them days off, they do accumulate
Flying Pitcher is offline Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Aug 06, 2014, 07:00 PM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
yeah, I'm sure that a $200 heli would be outta this world - but I think I'd rather wreck a few cheapies first lol. I'm really a dollhouse gal so that's where all my real time effort and money goes - my only goal with the copters at this point is to have fun flying them around my living room on days when I don't feel like working on minis. Though the goal is to fly them around the living room... without trashing my furniture!

I'm swearing to myself that I'm not *really* getting into this rc heli thing... no mods, no repairs - just fly them more as toys and leave the rest alone (uh-huh). I'm not sure how that's going so far.. it's week one and I've already swapped out that hideous red/blue flashing led that comes with the s107g's for a much nicer much girlier warm white I just happened to have laying around. And I've added nose weights inside both my 3 channel symas cause they were drifting backwards. And I spend all day messing with that d*$% V911 trying to get it to not kill itself .... But I'm not getting that into it lol,

Reviews on Amazon where I got it are mixed - some people talk about how nice and stable they are an how they were perfect right out of the box like your cousin's and other people are basically like 'help it tried to kill me'. One guy was talking about how he and a friend both had one and they were flying them together and his got 7 minutes of fly time... his friend's got 3.... they swapped their batteries and I guess his still got 7 and his friend's still got three.... so I guess the quality is hit or miss? I've ordered another one and I'm gonna see if it works better and then return the other one after I compare the two.

Oh god, when I close my eyes... all I can see is helicopters.... is that normal?
Old Aug 06, 2014, 07:47 PM
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Oh God, when I close my eyes... all I can see is helicopters.... is that normal?
umm, noofor a girl especially. heh, well, i guess that happens sometimes with females, if they get into this......stuff. maybe let the heli sit in the closet for a few days see if it cures ya good luck!
Old Aug 06, 2014, 09:53 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
Dollhouses??? That's a really unusual coincidence, on this website. I build custom dollhouses. My sisters sold handmade dolls for many years and needed houses for them.
Old Aug 06, 2014, 10:23 PM
Joined Aug 2014
43 Posts
I'm not surprised by that at all - I would think there'd be more helicopter/dollhouse cross over since they both deal with small parts and wiring (depending on the house). You can do some really cool stuff I guess nowadays with the nano led chips - I'm just now getting into soldering and wiring leds but I'm gonna try and do an electrified 1/144th scale house and some roomboxes to go in the dollhouse.

what kind of dolls did your sisters make?
Old Aug 07, 2014, 08:21 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,417 Posts
I guess they would be called elves, for lack of a better category. They are made by hand from a hard plastic that shapes like modeling clay. They are 4" to 6" tall and very detailed. The dollhouses were scaled about 1" = 1' . I'd post some pictures, but I can't find any examples.

They stopped making the dolls about 3 years ago and I stopped taking orders for houses about 4 months later. They were very time consuming to design and build, especially when you had to consider shipping. But, I will probably build some for my granddaughters, when they get a bit older.
Old Aug 07, 2014, 10:34 AM
Just a 9116 flyer.
Australia, NSW, Wollongong
Joined Dec 2012
618 Posts
Lucille,
Just stick with the "cheaper" heli's for the time being.

&, if you go to eBay & search for...

> LCD Digital Multimeter, Back ground light, AC DC Voltmeter Ohmmeter Multi Tester

They can be had for ~$20.00 & are very reliable & accurate enough for "our" use.

&, I'd be buying a few spare batteries & a good balance charger.
eg; > http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s..._GENUINE_.html

> http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...cessories.html
Rajah235 is offline Find More Posts by Rajah235
Last edited by Rajah235; Aug 08, 2014 at 04:11 AM. Reason: Mis-understood a previous post.
Old Aug 07, 2014, 11:10 AM
Rotor Controller
Aachen Germany
Joined Dec 2007
1,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I'm sure that a $200 heli would be outta this world - but I think I'd rather wreck a few cheapies first lol.
This hobby can get out of control very quickly with the things you "need". First its the heli - then new batteries - then a volt-meter - then a charger - then another heli because the first one didn't fly too good. There's no end - it just goes on and on and on. Have fun. Change out the LED's. Paint it pink. It's your heli. If it gets too frustrating - put it on the shelf and work on your doll house. Most of all fly safe - those rotating blades can hurt. Keep a safe distance from them. If it gets too close - they can move awfully fast - bat it away with your arm. So what if it crashes. They can leave a pretty mean welt on your skin. It can slice and dice if it hits just right. A trip to the hospital can ruin your whole day.

captJac
CaptJac is offline Find More Posts by CaptJac
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2014, 01:31 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajah235 View Post
Lucille,

&, I'd be buying a few spare batteries & a good balance charger.
Balance charger won't do much good for a single cell battery.
norcalheli is offline Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Aug 07, 2014, 06:15 PM
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,467 Posts
nothing to balance heh, this topic definitely has some pink

for checking volts i use a very vintage needle voltmeter. there are quite a few "voltage checkers" on the web. they plug into balance plug...but that's on multi-cell battery. may still work if you "touch" the batt. terminals just right. cost: $2-4 sometimes with free shipping

EDIT: lucille, whenever you're ready for an upgradehere's one with matching paintjob...totally girlish. heh, even i'd get one!!

Last edited by Flying Pitcher; Aug 07, 2014 at 06:21 PM. Reason: .