HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 17, 2013, 09:27 PM
Joined Aug 2006
12 Posts
Discussion
Sunglasses

Not sure where I should ask this, but I need help with what color of glasses are best for flying. I am having trouble seeing my plane and am wondering which color works best for you. When I use mine everything turns black and I loose sight. Please help
ralphp is offline Find More Posts by ralphp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2013, 11:51 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2005
39 Posts
Polarized lenses are a must!
Dvglas is offline Find More Posts by Dvglas
Old Jul 10, 2013, 10:15 PM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphp View Post
Not sure where I should ask this, but I need help with what color of glasses are best for flying. I am having trouble seeing my plane and am wondering which color works best for you. When I use mine everything turns black and I loose sight. Please help
I personally prefer the brown (I guess that's the color?) to dark gray lenses. I currently have a set of prescription Ray Bans that work well but I must say I'm disappointed that the coating on the lenses that provides the protection from the sun started to bubble and peal not more than a year after I bought them. At one point I had a pair of fishing sunglasses that I wore for flying that had a bit of a rose tint to them and I loved the way it made the planes stand out. The dark gray lenses make it tough for me to differentiate the different colors on the top and bottom of my aerobatic planes which makes it harder to keep orientation.

.......just realized I'm posting this in the full scale forum and talking about flying model airplanes. Whoops.
Warbirds Rule is offline Find More Posts by Warbirds Rule
Old Jul 11, 2013, 08:49 AM
Gravity-Compliant User
Nebraska USA
Joined Mar 2008
1,450 Posts
Easy on the polarized for flying (full-scale):

(From the FAA regarding polarized glasses)
Polarized lenses are not recommended for use in the aviation environment. While useful for blocking reflected light from horizontal surfaces such as water or snow, polarization can reduce or eliminate the visibility of instruments that incorporate anti-glare filters. Polarized lenses may also interfere with visibility through an aircraft windscreen by enhancing striations in laminated materials and mask the sparkle of light that reflects off shiny surfaces such as another aircraft’s wing or windscreen, which can reduce the time a pilot has to react in a “see-and-avoid” traffic situation. (Airliners.net, 2009)
Zaurak3 is offline Find More Posts by Zaurak3
Old Jul 20, 2013, 10:21 PM
Joined Jun 2013
155 Posts
If you are piloting from outside the cockpit (as in RC aircraft) these issues may not apply. If your transmitter has an LCD display, polarized lenses may make it difficult to read.
SSgt Baloo is offline Find More Posts by SSgt Baloo
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:34 PM
Albuq, NMex USA
Joined Jan 2001
542 Posts
Get Polaroids.
MikeC is offline Find More Posts by MikeC
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Jul 2011
113 Posts
Avoid polarized sunglasses ... EFIS get difficult to read with them.
Randolph engineering is providing fantastic sunglasses to fly ...
I'm using them for years with helmets and visor and they are just perfect !
flydynamics is offline Find More Posts by flydynamics