Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 08, 2013, 08:14 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,613 Posts
Discussion
Getting dermablend to stick to Depron end-cuts

I'm in the process to trying to finish a SU-29 pusher (2812/6 size) and am using dermablend for the elevon hinges.

Problem is that the tape sticks to the flat surfaces just fine, but the hinge cuts just don't seem to have much hold beyond a couple hours.

In putting the tape down, I folded the elevon unto the top stab surface with a 1/64th cardboard spacer between, taped around the surface, and then flexed into a full-down position and taped the top surface, making sure that I did have a bit of the first tape sticking up between the two surfaces. Pressed tape down firmly top and bottom.

I thought that I had it right yesterday and got the control horn set and glues, then left everything to sit overnight.

To my despair, the tape has come off of the 45-degree cut on the LE of the elevon and the TE of the stab.

I was sure that I'd pressed thise together and down quite firmly.

I'm now thinking that I might have to resort to a Q-tip and Gorilla Glue to wet the tape and control surfaces, then tape it all in a reflexed position to force the glue and tape to bond with the flight surfaces.

1) What did I do wrong in the original setup?
2|) What can I do to fix it as-is?
or 3) Do I rip it out and try to replace it with wide hockey stick tape (serious sticky tape....)

TIA....
byrocat is offline Find More Posts by byrocat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 08, 2013, 09:17 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,650 Posts
When I had that trouble I put a bit of a hotglue hinge across the ends just to keep the tape from delaminating. Not pretty but it works. Was going to try a thin film of CA and kicker across where the tape was going to go, to give it a slick surface for the tape to bond to but never got around to it.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jun 08, 2013, 09:24 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,650 Posts
Old Jun 08, 2013, 09:57 AM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,613 Posts
Thanks, Gord! I'll try the hotglue technique if the foam-2-foam glue isn't enough. (http://www.deluxematerials.com/aerofoam2foam.html)
Old Jun 08, 2013, 12:04 PM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,518 Posts
Hot glue hinges will come apart in the long run.... They are not flexible.... Try UHU Por or FoamTac......... A simple method is to coat the two surfaces where the tape will go and then place the tap over that when dry....or the newest way is to bevel the ends of the hinge line and apply a small bead of glue and mate the surfaces together
dr.E is offline Find More Posts by dr.E
Old Jun 08, 2013, 12:29 PM
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Joined Mar 2002
1,613 Posts
May be going up to the local Costco today and there's a Michael's Crafts in the same big-box-mall, so I'll check to see if they carry it and try it on the next model -- the Ken Coleman CAP-10 that I'm chasing down a suitable motor for and then building a new copy from the plans.
Old Jun 08, 2013, 03:15 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,650 Posts
Dunno, I have 5 yr old planes with the original hot glue hinges still working. Just a thin bridge across the joint is all you need. Most of them fly all winter long, as well as summer. Year round is what I should say.

Gord.