to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2013, 08:16 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZSlenker View Post
We only use it for failsafe.
Have you needed it yet or does it just let you get shots you wouldn't ordinarily attempt. Ordered the esc board by the way.
Earl E Adobtr is offline Find More Posts by Earl E Adobtr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stella Fasteners Come Loose
Old Apr 01, 2013, 06:05 AM
United States, PA, Harrisburg
Joined Aug 2011
377 Posts
Nope, we have never had to use the GPS for failsafe. We don't use it for normal shooting. PH needs to make corrections that are typically way to big to keep the footage smooth. If we should ever loose our radio link then it should fly home.
JZSlenker is offline Find More Posts by JZSlenker
Old Apr 02, 2013, 03:27 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JZSlenker View Post
Nope, we have never had to use the GPS for failsafe. We don't use it for normal shooting. PH needs to make corrections that are typically way to big to keep the footage smooth. If we should ever loose our radio link then it should fly home.
Thanks for the info - very useful. GPS board gets filed under "want" vs "need column until that PH improves.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2013, 10:21 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Waiting for the Hobbywing 20 amp 4 in 1 esc board to arrive, I got antsy and built one out of four 30 amp plush escs. Flew it tonight and it works fine.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:31 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Wow! Very Nice

I received 2 of the Hobby Wing 4 in 1 esc's and am really impressed. Out of the bag it's 55mm x 62mm and weighs 111 grams. It has no mounting holes though. For my purposes I removed the outer shell/heat sink which reduced the weight by 47 grams. This also exposes the mounting holes and a quality built bare board (don't try this at home unless you have a way of protecting it along with excellent air flow)

It comes with 10" motor leads with the ubiquitous bullet hub connectors which I removed and substituted with 3 pin mini deans connectors. I was pleasantly surprised to find it programmed for HFP right out of the bag. But you do need to perform throttle calibration which is done in the normal way - all four at once through the hfp board. I tried flying it first time without doing that and it wobbled badly. Then I read the instructions

I flew it briefly this evening and it's very smooth. Once I've run it for a few weeks I'll know more. I purchased mine here http://mymobilemms.com/OFFTHEGRIDWAT...roducts_id=190 and they took 3 weeks to arrive from China. You might be able to find them with better shipping than that.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:18 PM
aka Helidaho
United States, ID, Boise
Joined Jun 2010
2,662 Posts
I have one of the Hobbywing ESCs and it made for a nice clean install. Problem was I put it into my aquacopter which has ZERO ventilation and it got tooo hot. So as long as this baby has airflow it should be great.

I like your homemade all in one esc though, nicely done!

Paul
AeroVideoUS is online now Find More Posts by AeroVideoUS
Old Apr 28, 2013, 05:21 PM
USA, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2008
612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroVideoUS View Post
I have one of the Hobbywing ESCs and it made for a nice clean install. Problem was I put it into my aquacopter which has ZERO ventilation and it got tooo hot. So as long as this baby has airflow it should be great.

I like your homemade all in one esc though, nicely done!

Paul
Thanks Paul. Yeah, I run the Hobbywing 4 in 1 with heat sink removed and flow thru ventilation. Motors are 14 amp with 18 peak.
RCG Plus Member