Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:39 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Question
Helium envelope fabrics for a hot environment and high humidity(120 Celsius degrees)

hi, I'm looking for a Helium envelope Fabrics or material for a very hot environment and high humidity ( around 120 Celsius degrees) ? any suggestion
carlitosrusia is offline Find More Posts by carlitosrusia
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:36 AM
rc blimp manufacturer
Switzerland, VD, Crans-près-Céligny
Joined Dec 2005
666 Posts
to fly over titan or mars?
@ 120C helium will expand a lot
powerblimp is offline Find More Posts by powerblimp
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:05 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2005
122 Posts
more likely venus
Alan Sherwood is offline Find More Posts by Alan Sherwood
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:45 PM
United States, MS, Pontotoc
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
The fabric that is used to make hot-air balloons known as ripstop nylon and weighs 70g/m 2 . It is specially woven with crisscross reinforcement threads to make it extra strong. The fabric is lightweight and colourful and can withstand temperatures in excess of 120 degrees C - well above the boiling point of water. Nomex- fabric that feels like cotton and is very resistant to heat that is used around the mouth of the balloon where the flame from the burner may melt the nylon, particularly on a windy day. Nomex is a similar fabric to that used in the suits for racing car drivers to protect them. But you would have to make the ribstop material into a blimp shape, which means you would have to make an airship structure before hand. So you would also need a strong light weight material that can withstand that kind of heat. Also keep in mind that helium will expand in that kind of intense heat.
Blimp Boy is offline Find More Posts by Blimp Boy
Last edited by Blimp Boy; Mar 22, 2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 07:49 PM
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
This is different colors of ribstop nylon fabric.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:37 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp Boy View Post
The fabric that is used to make hot-air balloons known as ripstop nylon and weighs 70g/m 2 . It is specially woven with crisscross reinforcement threads to make it extra strong. The fabric is lightweight and colourful and can withstand temperatures in excess of 120 degrees C - well above the boiling point of water. Nomex- fabric that feels like cotton and is very resistant to heat that is used around the mouth of the balloon where the flame from the burner may melt the nylon, particularly on a windy day. Nomex is a similar fabric to that used in the suits for racing car drivers to protect them. But you would have to make the ribstop material into a blimp shape, which means you would have to make an airship structure before hand. So you would also need a strong light weight material that can withstand that kind of heat. Also keep in mind that helium will expand in that kind of intense heat.

Thanks Blimp boy for the info , do you have a link where I could buy Ripstop Nylon and Nomex??
Old Mar 23, 2013, 05:38 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerblimp View Post
to fly over titan or mars?
@ 120C helium will expand a lot
How much do you think it could expand for a 1 cubic meter??
Old Mar 23, 2013, 06:09 PM
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
Here's a website that has some...

http://www.seattlefabrics.com/nylons...FZGiPAodJCcAOA

This is more like what your looking for... this is for kites this should be perfect for what your looking for.

http://m.aliexpress.com/wholesale/wholesale-ripstop-nylon-fabric-kite.html?tracelog=wssearch2mobilesearch

This is were to purchase nomex fabric

http://www.aliexpress.com/price/fabric-nomex-price.html

And ill have to ask around on how much it expands per cubic meter in that kind of heat ....should know later on to night. But I was discussing your project with a friend of mine. We both agreed that you would need a device that would alow helium to be slowly released as it hit that kind of intense heat... or else it would pop due to the pressure.
Last edited by Blimp Boy; Mar 23, 2013 at 06:53 PM.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
It would expand 35% percent per cubic meter.

Credit to jamesg on smallblimps.org
Old Mar 28, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
My friend suggested that you used a gage to see how much pressure is building up in the lifting bags. You would need a device like a helium release valve to alternate between temperature contrast so that the helium can be released from the airship or ,like I have said before, the blimp will burst like a balloon. And just wondering, were are you going with your project? Ps...ribstop nylon fabric will be at its full performance in that kind of heat. So you would be lucky if it lasted over a couple of hours like that. This material is the same as hotair balloon envelope fabric. So that it can withstand heat from the burner when in take off and in flight. Good luck
Last edited by Blimp Boy; Mar 28, 2013 at 08:45 PM.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:37 PM
Joined Feb 2009
375 Posts
Hot air balloons can not fly at temps much above 120C. The typical max sustained flying temp is 120C or 250F. You can go above it temporarily for a few minutes if you have to, but not for long. Even flying at 250 all the time you will be shortening the life of the fabric.

A cheaper source for the ripstop nylon is Noah-Lamport or Westmark. You can get 1.3oz silicon coated from Noah Lamport for as little as $2.50 a yard in seconds quality compared to $11.50 a yard at the link above. Even firsts quality can be had for $5\yd at Westmark. Prices at Seattle Fabrics are almost double.
pyronaught is online now Find More Posts by pyronaught
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:58 PM
Joined Mar 2013
80 Posts
Thanks pyron for explaining that better to him. And I'm pretty sure he will be thanking you for saving him some doe.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blimp Boy View Post
Thanks pyron for explaining that better to him. And I'm pretty sure he will be thanking you for saving him some doe.
That's right !
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyronaught View Post
Hot air balloons can not fly at temps much above 120C. The typical max sustained flying temp is 120C or 250F. You can go above it temporarily for a few minutes if you have to, but not for long. Even flying at 250 all the time you will be shortening the life of the fabric.

A cheaper source for the ripstop nylon is Noah-Lamport or Westmark. You can get 1.3oz silicon coated from Noah Lamport for as little as $2.50 a yard in seconds quality compared to $11.50 a yard at the link above. Even firsts quality can be had for $5\yd at Westmark. Prices at Seattle Fabrics are almost double.
Thanks !!
Old Mar 29, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Feb 2013
10 Posts
I am thinking to make the blimp from scratch, this will be my first time to make one, I don't have many knowledges in electronic or electricity, most of the little I know I have learned here, searching on the web or visiting very strange web sites but at the same time interesting/

So I am planing build a structure for the envelope, buy fabrics, electrics motors... The blimp will be Rc, my first choice is use Ripstop Nylon as standard fabric (thank Pyro for link), would be possible instead of Ripstop Nylon use a thermal fabrics? any kind of nylon or fabric with thermal properties because most of the energy lost by the envelope, sort of double layer

About the engine I am think about 2 brushless motors 2000w each , due I have seen few helium blimp of 7 meter size using them but for a hot air blimp/balloon would be good too? .

I have seen a configuration of 2 brushless motors 2000w each, 2 sets of batteries of 4400MAH that can long for a 1.5 hours under constant speed of 40 KM/H can be that possible?