HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 16, 2013, 10:49 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Idle thought on FF vs RC? How does the Knight's wing incidence compare with the tailplane? Again, back to that steady state free flying trim thing, FF model's often had greater incidence differences than we'd design into a RC model.

Might be worth a test hop with a little packing -1/16" - under the wing's TE, as Jim suggests above.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Last edited by Dereck; Jun 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:35 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,886 Posts
I just finished dictating a long, detailed reply to everyone's posts, only to have my voice recognition system lose it when I tried to insert it in the message.

Regarding the incidence of the wing.If I reference everything to the upper longeron, the elevator is at zero, the wing is positive three degrees (with about negative three degrees of washout), and about negative five degrees thrust angle.

I don't believe the plane's tail heavy. The power off glide has a definite nose down angle. In fact, I was planning on moving the battery back a little, to see how that affected the behavior.

Also, since I added the washout, the star performance is very very much better. I don't consider the plane to have a stall problem now, at all.

I do plan on making the control throws much less on low range. She handled much better very very slight control inputs to the point that I'm gonna reduce the throw to about 25 percent, and see how she does.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BBCC Results
Old Jun 16, 2013, 06:38 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,886 Posts
Dereck, if you are at Crystal city, you will be about 20 minutes from me-during non-rush-hour traffic-near me also is a very good hobby shop. It is in the town of Chantilly and is called hobby hanger. Also, I have a garage full of ultra micros, and a couple of park flyers and you are welcome to borrow one or two. I also have two DX6i transmitters, one of which is not in use. I'll be happy to let you use that when you're in the apartment.

Either send me a private message on RC groups or use my username here at Hotmail.com for email.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BBCC Results
Old Jun 16, 2013, 09:10 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
785 Posts
David,
I agree fully - it appears to be nose heavy, just a tad, but you need quite a bit more down thrust. The nose up pitching when you open the throttle is clear and it is masking and confusing the rearward CG, but you can see that when you cut the power and the nose drops in the glide.

Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Jul 30, 2014, 08:32 PM
Joined Jul 2014
2 Posts
Hi, I have just bought a Dare Bi17 (e-bay) only to find out the instructions/guide is missing. Does anybody have a spare build guide, or a pdf copy they can send me?
Alan
arg1415x3 is offline Find More Posts by arg1415x3