Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:08 PM
Old Skool
Joined Dec 2003
743 Posts
Discussion
A New Liberal

Has anyone here ever known anyone who abandoned Conservatism (or something similar) and gone all out Liberal ? (Without some type of serious head trauma, that is.)
J.Douglas is offline Find More Posts by J.Douglas
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,409 Posts
Present.
Broken Wings is online now Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:16 PM View Post
ambientech
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Personal Attack. It is temporarily hidden while ambientech edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:18 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
417 Posts
Nope. I have heard of liberals turning conservative but never the other way around. Usually the liberal that has changed positions to become a conservative has been struck by reality. Take Dennis Miller for example.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:25 PM
I want to go flying!
Joined May 2010
414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
Nope. I have heard of liberals turning conservative but never the other way around. Usually the liberal that has changed positions to become a conservative has been struck by reality. Take Dennis Miller for example.
This. I believe it is obvious that conservatism represents the a wiser demographic. Liberals feel, conservatives think.
BE77 Pilot is online now Find More Posts by BE77 Pilot
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:38 PM
United States, OH, Brilliant
Joined Sep 2011
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Douglas View Post
Has anyone here ever known anyone who abandoned Conservatism (or something similar) and gone all out Liberal ? (Without some type of serious head trauma, that is.)
Yes. Charles Johnson runs Little Green Footballs and posted a list of 10 reasons why he's ditching the entire right wing dogma in 2009:

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/arti...With_The_Right
Quote:
2. Support for bigotry, hatred, and white supremacism (see: Pat Buchanan, Ann Coulter, Robert Stacy McCain, Lew Rockwell, etc.)
3. Support for throwing women back into the Dark Ages, and general religious fanaticism (see: Operation Rescue, anti-abortion groups, James Dobson, Pat Robertson, Tony Perkins, the entire religious right, etc.)
7. Support for conspiracy theories and hate speech (see: Alex Jones, Rush Limbaugh, Glenn Beck, Birthers, creationists, climate deniers, etc.)
8. A right-wing blogosphere that is almost universally dominated by raging hate speech (see: Hot Air, Free Republic, Ace of Spades, etc.)
And much, much more. The American right wing has gone off the rails, into the bushes, and off the cliff.
Funny how his list sounds a lot like a rant about LTUP
CrazyLittle is offline Find More Posts by CrazyLittle
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:40 PM
Borders, language & culture
United States, TN, Maryville
Joined Jun 2001
213 Posts
There are a few exceptions of course but 95% of youth eventually become conservative if they are productive. There is just something that turns off a productive person like the liberal policies that keep you addicted and unwearable off the government teat. Liberals enslave and ruin people's lives forever.
AintQytRite is online now Find More Posts by AintQytRite
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:40 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Douglas View Post
Andrew Sullivan. Bright people don't toe a party line. So when the line diverges from your beliefs, then you skew one way or the other.
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:44 PM
Bagpipes spoken here
United States, MN, St Paul
Joined Aug 2007
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE77 Pilot View Post
This. I believe it is obvious that conservatism represents the a wiser demographic. Liberals feel, conservatives think.
So why are all the great thinkers liberal?

I even have difficulty naming any of history's great conservatives. We don't exactly build monuments for them.
Pipemajor is offline Find More Posts by Pipemajor
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:45 PM
United States, FL, Cocoa
Joined Jan 2006
1,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintQytRite View Post
There are a few exceptions of course but 95% of youth eventually become conservative if they are productive. There is just something that turns off a productive person like the liberal policies that keep you addicted and unwearable off the government teat. Liberals enslave and ruin people's lives forever.
I've not found that to be true.
Broken Wings is online now Find More Posts by Broken Wings
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post

I even have difficulty naming any of history's great conservatives. We don't exactly build monuments for them.
Ayn Rand... oh wait that was a joke.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:51 PM
sensitive artsy type
Tucker, Georgia, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,166 Posts
I don't know if I was a conservative or not, but what got me investigating politics was when I had to give a three minute talk on a current event in a history class in HS. I was 15 or 16 years old (1970-71) and did my speech on how we should ramp up the Vietnam war, that we could win it if we applied ourselves, and I really did zero research for it.

After giving the speech, and the guy before me did some tirade about war protestors, I felt odd, my teacher made some comment about our speeches collectively being "gung ho", and I realized it was based completely on feelings, nationalism, patriotism and ignorance. I began to read about the war, and for the next couple years, including at the community college where I spent my senior year in HS on a joint enrollment program, I did two papers on the war and one based on an ancillary view of the war. By the time I had found out exactly what was going on over there, I was against the war and a liberal. Have been ever since.
Treetop is offline Find More Posts by Treetop
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:58 PM
Mr Mootsie
Pepperell, MA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
2,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pipemajor View Post

Please....

Alexander Hamilton, John Adams, John Marshall, Daniel Webster, John C. Calhoun, Elihu Root, Theodore Roosevelt.......
Tim Jonas is online now Find More Posts by Tim Jonas
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:00 PM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Yup ... he was an ass of a jerk Conservative in high school ... and then became an ass of a jerk Liberal after college.
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Dec 05, 2012, 07:11 PM
Joined Sep 2011
383 Posts
The conservative wunderkind 13-year old author of the book, "Defining Conservativism" Jonathan Krohn is now 17 years old and has grown out of the conservative manchild fantasy land.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/teen...-conservative/

Quote:
ďOne of the first things that changed was that I stopped being a social conservative,Ē said Krohn. ďIt just didnít seem right to me anymore. From there, it branched into other issues, everything from health care to economic issues.Ö I think Iíve changed a lot, and itís not because Iíve become a liberal from being a conservative ó itís just that I thought about it more. The issues are so complex, you canít just go with some ideological mantra for each substantive issue.Ē