it's the interest, stupid!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ellen-...b_2080112.html
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:53 AM
Official Old Git!
Hampshire, UK
Joined Sep 2000
1,388 Posts
Yeah - but it's their hard work and business that's doing it all - they have a right to make a small crumb for their efforts...

Norman Adlam is online now Find More Posts by Norman Adlam
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts
The question, as always, is how much is enough?
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:02 AM
Unrepentant Paragon addict
United States, OK, Moore
Joined Jan 2006
2,558 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post

The necessary follow-on question is, who gets to make that determination? Do I have any right to tell another that he's made enough, and any further productivity on his part will not be paid for?
LVsoaring is offline Find More Posts by LVsoaring
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:00 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Houston Ellington, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
In principle I would agree that at some level, enough is enough. But I wonder ... who gets to make that determination for each person ... for each buisness ... for each country?

Who gets that power over everyone? Who will become the Ivy Starnes of the world?
logan5 is online now Find More Posts by logan5
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:12 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
If only the taxpayers hadnt been used to bailout all the slime, the slime would have failed, prices across the board would have plummeted and my lone dollar would actually have value again. Let the chips fall where they may or we're doomed to continue supporting the slime.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:17 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
If only the taxpayers hadnt been used to bailout all the slime, the slime would have failed, prices across the board would have plummeted and my lone dollar would actually have value again. Let the chips fall where they may or we're doomed to continue supporting the slime.
Won't happen ... the Government has already predetermined which industries and companies are "too large to fail" ... however, I do belive that that moniker needs to change to reflect what is actually happeneing ... instead of "too large to fail" it should be "donated too much money to be allowed to fail".
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:18 AM
AustinTatious
Hurst, Texas, United States
Joined Jul 2003
1,952 Posts
wait a second here... haven't we had times of great middle class prosperity with MUCH higher interest rates?
AustinTatious is offline Find More Posts by AustinTatious
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
Gravity is patient............
Joined Mar 2006
1,908 Posts
The federal government is more interested in its own well being than that of the private sectors.

But as they continue to add pressure to the private sector via increased taxes, crony capitalism (aka too big to fail) and increased numbers on the federal payroll, either directly or via entitlements, they are signing their own death warrants. Can't tax blood from a stone. When the money runs out (and it will run out soon) and the rest of the world doesn't trust the dollar.... well in the words of Dr Brown, you're going to see some serious .
billyd60 is offline Find More Posts by billyd60
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan5 View Post
Won't happen ... the Government has already predetermined which industries and companies are "too large to fail" ... however, I do belive that that moniker needs to change to reflect what is actually happeneing ... instead of "too large to fail" it should be "donated too much money to be allowed to fail".
Yup, which is why I'm scouting for a deserted island somewhere. It's the only way to escape the lunatics at the top.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:44 AM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVsoaring View Post
The necessary follow-on question is, who gets to make that determination? Do I have any right to tell another that he's made enough, and any further productivity on his part will not be paid for?
It's up to the person or company to decide for themselves (and also consider the long term effects of the decision on those zround them.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:50 AM
In Development Now
Joined May 2005
445 Posts
An absolutely stupid article. As a person involved in a business at a fairly high level... the cost of the product we sell is not inflated by 35 percent. We don't pay that much interest on the money we borrow, we do not charge any interest (well unless you don't pay your bill but even then we don't end up collecting interest). Service jobs are even less like this.

There is a current liberal love affair with inflation. They think that some inflation can move money from the rich to the poor by impacting savings and stored capital. Yea, good luck with that. But we are now along for the ride so we all get to see what high or hyper inflation will do for the US (and the rest of the West).

Also, please explain how capturing this "35%" in some sort of government bank is giving it to the people. If it works (and it won't), it'll just be wasted in the government bank to never be seen again by anyone other than the legion who will work at said bank.
Indiana_Geoff is offline Find More Posts by Indiana_Geoff
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
Libertas in Infinitum
Joined Feb 2001
312 Posts
Quote:
It's up to the person or company to decide for themselves (and also consider the long term effects of the decision on those zround them.
Nothing for me to disagree with there.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:09 AM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana_Geoff View Post
An absolutely stupid article. .
You are being charitable.

love the first chart - of "bankster revenues" - underlabled as financial profits... and simple inflation, when graphed as dollars...is itself exponential.
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2