Old Oct 27, 2012, 08:58 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,812 Posts
Discussion
Mikrokopter crashes into building and burns Auckland NZ

It was what it was

Mikrokopter Drone Crashes into Skyscraper (2 min 30 sec)

http://www.suasnews.com/2012/10/1934...n-auckland-nz/

You might not agree with what I wrote @sUAS News though.
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Last edited by Gary Mortimer; Oct 27, 2012 at 10:33 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:11 AM
My Goshawk is awesome :)
United Kingdom, Stevenage
Joined Sep 2010
212 Posts
How embarrasing for him, he looked nervous before he took off, with his audiance.
I hope the NZ CAA doesnt see this as the norm, and puts it down to just bad luck.
i feel sorry for him tho, it looked a nice build.
Sebbie is offline Find More Posts by Sebbie
Old Oct 27, 2012, 09:43 AM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Whats he doing flying this close to buildings anyway? I know it depends where you are but some countries have rules that you need to be a certain distance away from any building or congested area. It looks like hes doing this professionally so he should have a fire extinguisher with him.

He did look nervous, so really he should of took it steady. He increased the throttle too fast and maybe lost orientation because the quad was pivoting as it increased in altitude. It's also possible that these tall buildings acts as a small wind funnel but I'm not sure looking at the video.

Luckily no one was walking where it crashed!
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Last edited by malcr001; Oct 27, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:31 AM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,812 Posts
I think its yawing to the right even before take off if you look closely. I doubt very much if there is any country in the world that would actually allow him to fly there without any form of crowd control. Put the camera on stick and hang it from the top of a building....
Gary Mortimer is online now Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Oct 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
Do a Barrel Roll!
United States, OH, Medina
Joined Jun 2005
1,021 Posts
Idiots like this will ruin the hobby for us. Lucky nobody got hurt/killed.
The SLR camera alone hitting someone from that height would not be good.
rcbif is offline Find More Posts by rcbif
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:29 PM
Photographer in Stockholm
Joined Sep 2012
23 Posts
Reckless flying! stupid pilot that didnt land as soon as he saw copter YAW clockwise from takeoff....
Raggarn is offline Find More Posts by Raggarn
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:40 PM
OS Sponsor
Germany, NRW, Dusseldorf
Joined Jun 2010
5,218 Posts
Oh, another thread about the Kiwi action.
Only: your title sounds like much more drama.

Isn't your topic title missing some commas, slashes or whatever?
It reads like Auckland burnt down.

Other than that: holy smokes! These guys did a bad job for the whole MR scene.
kinderkram is offline Find More Posts by kinderkram
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:45 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,332 Posts
There would be a proper way to do this. Close the streets to the public, obtain permission from all of the surrounding building owners, and get a permit/insurance.

There are many commercial applications for multi copters as everyone knows and the industry should be supported and grown.

Not sure what the intent of this was but it looks as though they wanted some pictures. Maybe for hire?
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:59 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Its a couple of guys who have been doing this locally for about a year as a pro setup. From the position they were at and where they were looking they were clearly to me trying to film or photograph NZ's tallest apartment buildings which are known as Metropolis. They were filming within 50 meters of NZ's busiest fashion shopping street. They were filming in the afternoon judging by the light shadows and the area is surrounded by tall buildings. Its illegal in Auckland city to fly and RC craft in a public place unless its a designated rc park of which there are a few.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:01 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
NZ CAA is aware that this sort of thing is happening and thinks a law will stop it (just like it is illegal to drive a speeding car but it still happens).

I have been operating part-time commercial AP in NZ for over 5 years. I have OSH paperwork, orange safety jackets, cones, the works. I have flown with/for my local city council safely. There have been times where I have said it simply isn't safe to fly in that position and the best option is shooting from a full-size (which I also do).
These guys are going to make it impossible for us good guys to operate legally - no doubt.

NZ CAA have recently decided to start sorting a UAV Certification process that will involve me needing PPL exams and some flight experience (so I understand what the full-size guys do). They are going to have one category covering me (under 400' LOS) and including up to gps-guided pre-programmed survey high(er) altitude machines where NOTAMs and full-size aviation contact will be required. Frustrating for me, the little guy who is safely operating legally within the current aviation laws (as under 400' rc aircraft) in NZ.

At the end of the day, poor choices and bad piloting by idiots like this wont stop him... he will still fly in congested areas with disregard to safety no matter how many laws are in place...

Pete
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Last edited by Stacky; Oct 30, 2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:04 PM
I'll fly anything...
Hamilton, New Zealand
Joined Jan 2007
962 Posts
Aren't they they guys that flew around / inside the Rugby League stadium at night during a game???
Efliernz is offline Find More Posts by Efliernz
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:07 PM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,759 Posts
Yep
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:12 PM
United Kingdom, England, Gt Lon
Joined Nov 2007
2,646 Posts
Someone pointed out something interesting on 0:58. There seems to be smoke visible as soon as he starts to throttle up.
malcr001 is offline Find More Posts by malcr001
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
KK4NOP
United States, VA, Virginia Beach
Joined Aug 2005
3,332 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efliernz View Post
NZ CAA is aware that this sort of thing is happening and thinks a law will stop it (just like it is illegal to drive a speeding car but it still happens).

I have been operating part-time commercial AP in NZ for over 5 years. I have OSH paperwork, orange safety jackets, cones, the works. I have flown with/for my local city council safely. There have been times where I have said it simply isn't safe to fly in that position and the best option is shooting from a full-size (which I also do).
These guys are going to make it impossible for us good guys to operate legally - no doubt.

NZ CAA have recently decided to start sorting a UAV Certification process that will involve me needing PPL exams and some flight experience (so I understand what the full-size guys do). They are going to have one category covering me (under 400' LOS) and including up to gps-guided pre-programmed survey high(er) altitude machines where NOTAMs and full-size aviation contact will be required. Frustrating for me, the little guy who is safely operating legally within the current aviation laws (as under 400' rc aircraft) in NZ.

At the end of the day, poor choices and bad piloting by idiots like this wont stop him... he will still fly in congested areas with disregard to safety no matter how many laws are in place...

Pete
This is the way to do it for sure. I only hope the FAA establishes common sense rules for the commercial use of UAV's as I'd like to get into it.
Mike Freas is offline Find More Posts by Mike Freas
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Pan/Tilt servo mods