HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:14 PM
Houston Intercont, Texas, United States
Joined Jun 2001
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop View Post
Macy's and Toys 'r' Us lying about holiday hiring projections?

http://management.fortune.cnn.com/20...iid=SF_F_River
Oh, wow. The unemployment numbers are going to be down to about 5% next month. And obama is going to be shooting off his mouth about how he, single handedly, turned the economy around. Of course what they won't tell you is how many of them are part time, and how many will be gone after the holidays.
mikefast is online now Find More Posts by mikefast
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:20 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefast View Post
Oh, wow. The unemployment numbers are going to be down to about 5% next month. And obama is going to be shooting off his mouth about how he, single handedly, turned the economy around. Of course what they won't tell you is how many of them are part time, and how many will be gone after the holidays.
NPR did a segment on unemployment with an economist using the latest computer models. Even in an Utopian society, with everyone singing kumbaya and eating jumbalya, no one, not R or O would be able to get unemployment to 4%. They fed the model world peace, stimulus, and every factor under the sun. It was quite interesting.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:26 PM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverJayhawk View Post
NPR did a segment on unemployment with an economist using the latest computer models. Even in an Utopian society, with everyone singing kumbaya and eating jumbalya, no one, not R or O would be able to get unemployment to 4%. They fed the model world peace, stimulus, and every factor under the sun. It was quite interesting.
8%+, the new normal (under Obama).

Got it.

Pathetic.
Highflight is offline Find More Posts by Highflight
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Quote:
They forgot to factor in a systematic elimination of government or ending the Federal Reserve as we know it. Do those two things and they cant spend money they dont actually have. Do that and it would be like releasing the brakes on the economy. They wouldnt need to do anything To the economy, just get the #$%^ out of the way would be the best thing they could do.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:29 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HELModels View Post
They forgot to factor in a systematic elimination of government or ending the Federal Reserve as we know it. Do those two things and they cant spend money they dont actually have. Do that and it would be like releasing the brakes on the economy. They wouldnt need to do anything To the economy, just get the #$%^ out of the way would be the best thing they could do.
Sorry. Even Romney agrees regulation is necessary.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:49 AM
My poor poor planes.
United States, LA, Lake Charles
Joined May 2012
327 Posts
Quote:
Sorry. Even Romney agrees regulation is necessary.
Just regulations that don't discourage job growth unlike what Obama seems to not understand. Or, maybe he really wants to see America fail. Hell, I don't know, its hard to understand Obama's policies if you're a business owner like myself. They all negatively effect job growth except for gov Jobs.
winndaddy is offline Find More Posts by winndaddy
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:53 AM
Omnipote
Louisville, KY
Joined Apr 2001
665 Posts
The stock market is back at a nearly all-time high and corporate profits are at an all-time high.

If you are a small business owner, don't look for any of this to trickle down to you.

Obama hasn't passed anything that affects small business owners except for Obamacare - which hasn't gone in to effect yet. My health insurance premiums just went up another $1,000 a year - so I can't wait for Obamacare.

I can't afford to keep paying for small businesses that don't provide healthcare for their employees. This welfare I am providing to small businesses has to stop now.

The Fed is the only thing keeping small businesses and people that have mortgages afloat right now. Do you really want to get rid of the Fed? Are you sure? Do you really want real estate to be worth pennies on the dollar and interest rates to hit 20%?

You know there was one President who didn't let the Fed print more money to dampen a recession - Jimmy Carter. That didn't work out too well for him. But he didn't add a penny to the Federal deficit during a major recession.
stone_axe is offline Find More Posts by stone_axe
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:19 AM
Joined Aug 2003
2,631 Posts
Pennies might buy something if the Fed didnt prop everything up. They can go away, in their present form, and be replaced by something that doesnt destroy the value or purchasing power of a dollar.
HELModels is online now Find More Posts by HELModels
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:00 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
In all these threads, there sure are a lot of people who flunked Economics 101 and now come back to be self-professed experts.
The foolish assumptions and suppositions are tiring.

It is no wonder that half the country supports Obamanomics.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:05 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Feb 2005
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post
In all these threads, there sure are a lot of people who flunked Economics 101 and now come back to be self-professed experts.

Are you sure that's what they're supporting

Perhaps they're just not supporting 'Bushamomics' - or 'Romneyanomics' - or stupid wars - or stupid President's that make the USA a joke - yah know - that sorta thang!
ENGINETORQUE is offline Find More Posts by ENGINETORQUE
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:21 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Joined May 2010
2,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflight View Post

Did you take Econ 101? If so, how'd you do?

My degree required Econ 101, Micro Econ, and Macro Econ. I'm not saying i'm an economist. But I'm curious what formal education you have on the subject.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:06 AM
Out of Time
United States, TX
Joined Jul 2003
1,092 Posts
Quote:

My degree required Econ 101, Micro Econ, and Macro Econ. I'm not saying i'm an economist. But I'm curious what formal education you have on the subject.
I've run my own business(s) since I was 22 years old.

Those who can, do. Those who can't, profess knowledge that they do not possess.

I took Astronomy in college, yet, I do not profess to know Astronomy.
I took Geology in college, yet, I do not profess to know Geology.
So, how's your "education" in Economics werkin' out fer 'ya? Get rich yet with all that profound education?
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:12 AM
Figure Nine Champ
North Texas
Joined Nov 2002
1,273 Posts
I loved Econ101. It was a required course for engineers and about half of the class were engineering students.

The instructor stands up and says that nothing on the test will be over the textbook's contents, Big cheer from class as we already are planning on returning our textbooks to the bookstore.

He then lays out exactly what it will take to get an "A" in his class. Big groan from all the non-engineers who complain about the work load. All the engineers laugh at them because he just told them how to get an "A", something that never happens in any engineering course.

Oh, nearly forgot! He showed exactly how government control of markets usually produce the opposite of the intended effect.
madsci_guy is offline Find More Posts by madsci_guy
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:27 AM
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
United States, LA, Monroe
Joined Mar 2003
5,694 Posts
Quote:

Economics is more like an autopsy of why something happened. Even then they all too often get it wrong. The best lesson I ever had in economics was from a survey done by the National Chamber of Commerce as to why new businesses fail. I read it in the mid to late 70's. It explained all of the variable that they thought would be the determining factor such as lack of start of money, problematic cash flows, insufficient inventory, employee training. But after their research was complete it turned out that the major factor in the success or failure of a start up business was an unforeseen factor called "The Buying Whims of the American Public."

One of the major failure of governments is that they keep trying to give people they don't want and that is and will be the history of the Obama Presidency. Why do so many government programs fail, because people didn't ask for them, don't want them, but the government never listens and keeps flushing more money down a toilet that no one uses.
LcJ is online now Find More Posts by LcJ
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RC Logger's Eye One Xtreme Quad
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:31 AM
Not THAT Ira
Coupeville, Wa
Joined Jan 2006
4,722 Posts
Mystery solved.

The drop in jobless numbers is due to "one large state" not reporting it's numbers. And how very odd, the administration refuses to name that state.

http://www.businessinsider.com/joble...-state-2012-10
Real Ira is online now Find More Posts by Real Ira