HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old May 24, 2012, 11:54 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Hi Thanks

Sorry I did not have a picture of the split elevators, I added it now where it belongs (see further up)...

No, no MB339 for me it's not my favorite as far as looks are concerned, and the ducting is awful (double twist in the intake).

But ... the LHS (HP) has a Mirage in swiss colors for $169
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 11:59 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
A Hawk needs fences ... It's a good thing that the Tamiya paint is a perfect match.

Old May 24, 2012, 12:01 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Cockpit crammed as usual in EDFs ... I moved the receiver and BEC in the cockpit tub.

The maiden will be with both bec and a futaba 600mAh sanyo pack in parallel. All my edfs have a voltmeter.

Old May 24, 2012, 12:12 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
It took me a while to get this esc (HK Helidrive, YGE clone) to behave properly. I had to read the instructions several times (in various languages) to sort out what is really meant .

At first the esc would not do anything, but it would start from a servo tester (but not from the radio).

Then I adjusted the (Futaba) radio to +-105% EPA on the throttle, and re-programmed the start/stop with the card. Now it gave me for whatever reason a five beep error message.

I set the timing on low (6 degrees), the pwm on 8kHz (low pole inrunner), the brake off, the freewheeling on, the start on "airplane soft", and the cell count & low voltage cutoff on "off" (I go by ear).

After checking the fan rotation direction, I reset the error code and now it seems happy

I later ran up the fan on the ground (at a very safe distance and not at 90 degrees from the fan ) and it ran fine, very quite and well balanced. The soft start is really soft, like a turbine it spools up very slowly which I like in my edfs.

Old May 24, 2012, 08:18 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
A few pieces of blue foam from a meat tray proved to be useful in closing up those huge retract holes, which would have otherwise caused quite a bit of extra drag on such a relatively small wing ...

I think the wing is a bit cleaner this way

Old May 27, 2012, 01:06 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Three flights yesterday, one of the best flying edfs out there

After a 4 min maiden flight :

Motor temp 21 degrees

ESC temp (top and bottom) 24 degrees

BEC temp : 32 degrees

Battery temp 47 degrees

Good speed (more than I expected, est at 110mph +), cool sound although not as quiet as I expected.

The fan is smooth as silk (I did a lot of work gluing and balancing it, and it paid off).

It needed a few clicks of down, since I had for safety given it a bit of up-trim for the maiden.

Knife edge requires a bit of down elevator so I have to move the CG around a bit.

Even in 15mph winds it lands absolutely rock stable. I suspect it's all that washout in the wingtips.
Were those Celsius degrees? Seems awefully low if its Fairenheit.

So it didn't sound like a turbine then? Hopefully better sounding than the Habu32.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old May 27, 2012, 01:09 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Three flights yesterday, one of the best flying edfs out there

After a 4 min maiden flight :

Motor temp 21 degrees Celsius

ESC temp (top and bottom) 24 degrees

BEC temp : 32 degrees

Battery temp 47 degrees

Good speed (more than I expected, est at 110mph +), cool sound although not as quiet as I expected.

The fan is smooth as silk (I did a lot of work gluing and balancing it, and it paid off).

It needed a few clicks of down, since I had for safety given it a bit of up-trim for the maiden.

Knife edge requires a bit of down elevator so I have to move the CG around a bit.

Even in 15mph winds it lands absolutely rock stable. I suspect it's all that washout in the wingtips.

The struts that came with the kit are what they are, but they held up well. The retracts worked flawlessly.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:11 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkylineFlyer View Post
So it didn't sound like a turbine then? Hopefully better sounding than the Habu32.
Celsius ... They sound is cool, maybe video soon. Much better than the high pitched Habu 32 fan sound !
Old May 27, 2012, 01:21 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,157 Posts
Quote:
Celsius ... They sound is cool, maybe video soon. Much better than the high pitched Habu 32 fan sound !
Great. Very happy for your succesful maiden and sequential flights. I'm looking very forward to a video.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old May 27, 2012, 01:22 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Pics after the first maiden flight ...

Early afternoon, it was quite windy (15mph gusts) so not too many guys around yet at that time. The 3d guys hate the wind, and so do the glider guys.

Old May 27, 2012, 02:35 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Elevator incidence & trim required for level flight, with CG at recommended position

Old May 28, 2012, 12:17 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Short video of today's flight, the nosgear strut was a bit loose, you can see the takeoff is a bit wobbly Again 17mph wind gusts today.

Red Arrows FlyFly HTG BAe Hawk (90mm edf) 9S CS 12bl fan (4 min 36 sec)
Old May 28, 2012, 01:03 AM
South Africa, GP, Pretoria
Joined Mar 2011
423 Posts
Quote:
Short video of today's flight, the nosgear strut was a bit loose, you can see the takeoff is a bit wobbly Again 17mph wind gusts today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB8nE_btTaY
Congrats Herb - Looks very good.
Graham d is offline Find More Posts by Graham d
Old May 30, 2012, 02:53 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
Hi Thanks

Everything went very smoothly, no major problems so far ... it's not always that way

The retracts held up well so far, I read horror stories about them but it seems the model is very light and can be landed real slow. So I don't see where the issue is (so far ).

The airframe is a very good design, very stable (unlike other Hawks) due to that generous washout in the wingtips.

I have to experiment with the CG next weekend to see if I can move it back a bit, it pulls a bit towards the canopy on knife edge.

The fan makes more noise than expected, it's either some body cavity resonace, or that big metal spinner which is still unbalanced.

I had some tape to cover that cavernous esc hole in the back, I now filled it up with cottonballs and a thicker lid, we'll see if that achieves anything.

Old May 30, 2012, 02:55 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,159 Posts
I finally put the decals on and painted the inside of the wheel wells.

I put some more jb weld on the various strut joints, a nut was ready to come off.