Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Discussion
Fpv night flight 4.5km with stock dx7 spektrum

Hi guys!

Just wanted to show the range of a stock Spekrum. It was a great flight. As you guys will see, the guardian gives a lot of confidence to me. Must say that it is a good combination for people that just dont want to spend more on tx and of coarse, already invested on eagle tree (it was not the same without guardian). My next experiment will be that thing that some people call windsurfer to see if it can give more range before the fail safe.

A little boring video... hope you enjoy it

FPV NIGHT FLIGHT 4.5KM WITH STOCK DX7 SPEKTRUM (18 min 4 sec)
Oscar J is offline Find More Posts by Oscar J
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2011, 10:42 PM
United States, IA, West Des Moines
Joined Jan 2010
660 Posts
Very nice range with that tx.
rcplanes1234 is offline Find More Posts by rcplanes1234
Old Oct 23, 2011, 08:10 AM
First to go over 106K feet
USA, IA, North Liberty
Joined Mar 2008
2,479 Posts
What receiver were you using? The type of receiver makes a big difference in the range.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:18 AM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crist Rigotti View Post
What receiver were you using? The type of receiver makes a big difference in the range.
It is the ar7000, the one capable to do all chanel failsafe. It is using only one remote receiver.
Old Oct 23, 2011, 09:26 AM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
[quote=
Last edited by Oscar J; Oct 23, 2011 at 09:48 AM. Reason: double quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:44 PM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Does anyone knows the range record for fpv night flight?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:00 AM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
Canada, QC, Quebec
Joined Jun 2008
2,185 Posts
IMO you were lucky! Doing 4.5km with a Spektrum radio is like playing Russian Roulette and get away from it. Congrats!
saucisse is offline Find More Posts by saucisse
Old Oct 24, 2011, 11:34 AM
FPVEEE ED
Quebec, Canada
Joined Jul 2010
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse View Post
IMO you were lucky! Doing 4.5km with a Spektrum radio is like playing Russian Roulette and get away from it. Congrats!
+1 +1 +1 !!! Spektrum + FPV = Risky business !
ecampos is offline Find More Posts by ecampos
Old Oct 24, 2011, 02:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
jaja, you are all right guys!
Im not the kind of person that defends one brand or the other and just like many people, has had some weird situations with Spektrum on planes, but It was few years ago and with 5 chanel receivers. Maybe things has changed with spektrum, maybe not... But I must say that never had an issue with Spektrum on helis and use to shake the helis more than the average people and those are a lot more dangerous machines that in less than a second could slice your own head.
Anyway, at the end I think the credit must be for the guardian, LOL.

Im quite new on FPV but sometimes I feel theres a lack of adrenaline on it, maybe thats what makes me do that kind of stupid things. I know theres a lot of failures that could happen on flight and my about $600.00 could be lost.
Since have no money now to buy another tx, UHF or whatever, I whink I will be playing the russian rullete, LOL... I want to go for 6km!!!! Im waitting for an extra 900mah(3000mah nanotech lipo) to try!

Thanks for your comments!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:18 AM
Joined Oct 2011
96 Posts
Hello Oscar, well done. That is a very respectable range on standard $pektrum gear.

As you have the EagleTree telemetry, do you have your RTH setup and working?

So you could potentially keep flying out on one course, until failsafe DOES kick in, at which point the EagleTree RTH would turn your plane round and head to home, when at some point your R/C link would reconnect. So you'd learn what your absolute range actually is.

Suggest you test this out in daylight, around your flying location, to ensure its working 100% before relying on it to work at night, during one of your long distance flights!
AirRecon is offline Find More Posts by AirRecon
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:34 AM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirRecon View Post
Hello Oscar, well done. That is a very respectable range on standard $pektrum gear.

As you have the EagleTree telemetry, do you have your RTH setup and working?

So you could potentially keep flying out on one course, until failsafe DOES kick in, at which point the EagleTree RTH would turn your plane round and head to home, when at some point your R/C link would reconnect. So you'd learn what your absolute range actually is.

Suggest you test this out in daylight, around your flying location, to ensure its working 100% before relying on it to work at night, during one of your long distance flights!
Thanks Aircon!

The RTH is working perfect from the moment I instaled the guardian, I tested it on each flight I did since then and NEVER failed, CERO problem on RTH, thats why I push the radio to the limit (and more, LOL). But, what I think is not working properly is the heading hold on the stabilizer while not doing RTH, I think I have to do some research on that, I think it is a gain issue that I must fix. Another thing that I think I should work on is that the when the stabilizer activates, the plane starts to climb, just a little climb rate. Im not sure if it is supossed to be like that or is it me that Im not leveling correctly when setting up the artificial horizon. If we where not talking about fpv, I think that climbing a little after the stabilizer recovers the plane will make sense... But on FPV it would be great if the airplane maintain altitude and heading

I have done this flight with day light few times before this night flight, I did It again yesterday but only did about 4.1km or something like that, It takes a lot to do with phisical work... when failsafe activates, I have to raise the radio up as possible, and a buddy starts to play with the antenna while I look into the monitor, LOL. Thats fun man! But yesterday my arms were kind of tired to hold the radio up...

Heres the video so you can see how rth worked, I was so tired that I used rth to come back, I only flew it when it was close to 280 mts, thats the point where the motor activates and I wanted to save some mah, just in case...

Thanks for your comment!
Oscar

osyhaz fpv a casi 4 klm (15 min 13 sec)
Last edited by Oscar J; Oct 25, 2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:51 AM
Joined Oct 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar J View Post
Another thing that I think I should work on is that the when the stabilizer activates, the plane starts to climb, just a little climb rate. Im not sure if it is supossed to be like that or is it me that Im not leveling correctly when setting up the artificial horizon. If we where not talking about fpv, I think that climbing a little after the stabilizer recovers the plane will make sense... But on FPV it would be great if the airplane maintain altitude and heading
Hi. I've run with EagleTree gear - gets expensive though, buying all their modules. When setting up your RTH, there's a Throttle cruise setting, where you enter a parameter for the throttle input that should be applied, to allow your model to cruise at near level altitude, hands off.

So you might need to drop this setting a little, which might keep it on a more horizontal plain.

Quote:
It takes a lot to do with phisical work... when failsafe activates, I have to raise the radio up as possible, and a buddy starts to play with the antenna while I look into the monitor, LOL. Thats fun man! But yesterday my arms were kind of tired to hold the radio up...

I will try to place the new video here (it is on a friends computer)so you can see how rth worked, I was so tired that I used rth to come back, I only flew it when it was close to 280 mts, thats the point where the motor activates and I wanted to save some mah, just in case...

Thanks for your comment!
Oscar
....perhaps just fly normally, then only raise your radio up high above your head as you detect a failsafe/RTH kicking in, when your R/C link nears its limit, to maintain control?

Would be great to see the video. Sounds cool.
Last edited by AirRecon; Oct 25, 2011 at 09:57 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:13 AM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
Hi. I've run with EagleTree gear - gets expensive though, buying all their modules. When setting up your RTH, there's a Throttle cruise setting, where you enter a parameter for the throttle input that should be applied, to allow your model to cruise at near level altitude, hands off.

So you might need to drop this setting a little, which might keep it on a more horizontal plain.

....perhaps just fly normally, then only raise your radio up high above your head as you detect a failsafe/RTH kicking in, when your R/C link nears its limit, to maintain control?

Would be great to see the video. Sounds cool.
I will have to take a look, Im so happy with my eagletree now that I dont even wanna touch it, dont wanna screw something... LOL. To be honest, im kind of lazy also...

I think I have seen that part of the menu sometime, some cruise parameters or something like that but I thougt it was for RTH and without guardian, now the menu has changed a little and have to find out.

THANKS! I will take a look to what you are telling me about on the menu...

Oscar
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:47 AM
Joined Oct 2011
96 Posts
Quote:
I will have to take a look, Im so happy with my eagletree now that I dont even wanna touch it, dont wanna screw something... LOL. To be honest, im kind of lazy also...

I think I have seen that part of the menu sometime, some cruise parameters or something like that but I thougt it was for RTH and without guardian, now the menu has changed a little and have to find out.

THANKS! I will take a look to what you are telling me about on the menu...

Oscar
I dont have the Guardian stabalisation module, therefore dont know how the menus and options might have changed in the ET Configuration Software, if you have this as part of your system.

Therefore go with your instincts and dont change a thing. After all, your setup, as you say, is working very well now.

PS: Great videos - the night flying must take some courage!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 07:30 PM
Joined Jun 2011
72 Posts
Quote:
I dont have the Guardian stabalisation module, therefore dont know how the menus and options might have changed in the ET Configuration Software, if you have this as part of your system.

Therefore go with your instincts and dont change a thing. After all, your setup, as you say, is working very well now.

PS: Great videos - the night flying must take some courage!
I dont know if you have your rth working ok, I was not capable to set up the rth to make it reliable without the guardian.. It worked kind of fine when I activated the failsafe on purpose with my trims swicth but really dont understand why when I tested turning the radio off, it turned other way all by itself, not home. So it was unreliable to me. With guardian, i just turned al gaint to default and worked great, I only changed a gain that gives a more close bank angle.

About the night flight, It is weird but I have been more nervous on previous flights. Maybe because It was my third flight of the day testing and learning how to handle the lipo, I mean, how many mah was used to go (against the wind) and how much mah I will need to come back. So I think I forgot that if I have a failure at night, its gonna be a lot harder to find because the lower I fly, more dark is the image and less lights reference...

Did you ever heard about the Windsurfing ? I wanna try this next week end!