Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 22, 2012, 10:40 PM
Mooresville, IN
Joined Mar 2009
302 Posts
Could someone tell me the kv on the v1 Beast? I'm debating on putting the motor in my Beast 3d. Any suggestions to alternate brushless motors?
rclayton is offline Find More Posts by rclayton
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:05 PM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Aug 2011
411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclayton View Post
Could someone tell me the kv on the v1 Beast? I'm debating on putting the motor in my Beast 3d. Any suggestions to alternate brushless motors?
beast v1 has 2300kv motor--superior to beast3d 2500

definetly put in the 2300 and run with 5043 prop and you will see much more power, quieter, and batteries last longer.
flyrtim is offline Find More Posts by flyrtim
Old Oct 22, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,142 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrtim View Post
beast v1 has 2300kv motor--superior to beast3d 2500

definetly put in the 2300 and run with 5043 prop and you will see much more power, quieter, and batteries last longer.
But with anything but the stock E-flight batteries! The amps for the 5043 are available only from Hyperion, Minivation, Thunderpower, et. al.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Dec 2007
164 Posts
Wing repair

After a semi-bad landing on good grass, the next flight took a lot of right trim. Inspection after landing revealed that the lower left wing was free floating at the root. So it was not just the canopy that departed in mid-flight causing the trim change. My question is- what glue to use to reattach the wing root, or can I get away with just taping it across the bottom? The top of the lower wing to fuselage joint would be tricky to tape properly. I am thinking of a LITTLE bit of five minute epoxy run into that narrow joint, but that may make a clean replacement of the entire wing later more difficult.
tourist_603 is offline Find More Posts by tourist_603
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:41 AM
Parkzone junkie
United States, MI, Grand Traverse
Joined Oct 2008
3,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603 View Post
After a semi-bad landing on good grass, the next flight took a lot of right trim. Inspection after landing revealed that the lower left wing was free floating at the root. So it was not just the canopy that departed in mid-flight causing the trim change. My question is- what glue to use to reattach the wing root, or can I get away with just taping it across the bottom? The top of the lower wing to fuselage joint would be tricky to tape properly. I am thinking of a LITTLE bit of five minute epoxy run into that narrow joint, but that may make a clean replacement of the entire wing later more difficult.
Glues: Foam Safe CA or FoamTac. I haven't used it but there are some vehement supporters of that FoamTac stuff. As to the cracking at the root, it is a common place for the wing to break in a crash. After a RX interference issue that caused a full throttle, full aileron, full elevator straight down crash on my B3D both lower wings were severed and the top wing was cracked in half to one side of the cabane. I repaired it with foamsafe CA and some CF rods. It is probably stronger now than when it was new.

-Brian
kalmon is offline Find More Posts by kalmon
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:21 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,639 Posts
UHU Por (also known as UHU Creative) is another excellent glue for these planes: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/uhu_glue_409_ctg.htm

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, CA, Mt Shasta
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
I vote FoamTac. I really like the tightness of the bond and the flexibility. My Beast kept breaking right next to the last repair. Seems like the CA makes the foam brittle, the joint certainly is brittle. Also, the CA joint I can see as when I shoot kicker on it it makes a small ridge. The FoamTac is pretty much invisible if it is a clean break.
I'm waiting on wings for my Beast and hoping the wing kit comes with control horns as the replacement horn sent my by HH is crazy huge. It's so big the control rod doesn't fit and I have it taped on. Scary looking, but it flys.
Mike
shastamike is offline Find More Posts by shastamike
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:24 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,650 Posts
I dorked mine in the other day and broke both outer struts and knocked the wing loose from the inner struts.Glued everything together with hot glue and it flies the same as before. "A little dab'll do ya" as the old Brylcream add used to say I make my micro foamy horns from 1/32 aircraft plywood.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Thanks...it never occurred to me that I could make my own horns.
Old Oct 24, 2012, 01:14 PM
SoCal fair weather flyer
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
2,602 Posts
Foam Tac is the only thing that holds my repairs. In my experience CA just doesn't cut it on this airframe. I don't like CA anyway as its brittle. Love foam tac, makes me confident in my repairs, and unlike CA it won't stick to your fingers and gives you plenty of time to break lined up. I use Foam Tac on the UMX planes but Welders Adhesive on EPP.
Bloosee is online now Find More Posts by Bloosee
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:22 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Got an email from HH today and it was that control horns i've been looking for come with the replacement wing set. Not sold separately. Too bad, by now I have one of the funkiest Beasts around I bet. The oversized control horn on one side makes it look like it has a badly sprained ankle.
Mike
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:34 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
That type of bs makes me less likely to buy any more products from HH. Why won't they sell them seperately? Because then they wouldnt be able to suck more $$$ out of you for parts you don't need. Can you imagine? "sir, I would like to buy a new tire for my car" " okay, but you can't buy just a tire, you have to buy a complete axle assembly too". Give me a break.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:43 PM
Joined Jun 2010
2,615 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
That type of bs makes me less likely to buy any more products from HH. Why won't they sell them seperately? Because then they wouldnt be able to suck more $$$ out of you for parts you don't need. Can you imagine? "sir, I would like to buy a new tire for my car" " okay, but you can't buy just a tire, you have to buy a complete axle assembly too". Give me a break.
Happens with my Subaru. Can't just replace one tire as the All-Wheel traction system is tied together. Three worn tires and one new tire would supposedly burn the system out.
As to the very tiny horn part, I don't know. There are so many parts. Is kind of odd. They very nicely sent me control horns they sell separately, but they were for micro sized and look huge on my Beast.
BTW, found some nice looking vintage tires that might be nice on the Beast. http://www.graysonhobby.com/catalog/...12-p-1040.html

Mike
Old Oct 24, 2012, 07:14 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Are you thinking those wheels with or without the wheel pants?
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old Oct 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,650 Posts
These are homemade liteply wheels 1 1/4 in. dia. they work very well as they cut through the grass rather than trying to roll over.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2