HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 06, 2011, 09:42 PM
United States, VA, Williamsburg
Joined Jan 2011
1,128 Posts
Discussion
Airborne models Zero Fighter EP

I've had my PZ P47 for few months, and I enjoy this plane a lot. Lots of power, easy to fly, good looking plane.
But for few weeks I've been looking around for something new to fly. I thought it will be 2 motor electric plane, like B25 or P38.
Until one day I saw this beauty. I got it today, along with SV80 servos for ailerons.
I've got three other 9G metal gear servos for elevator, rudder and landing gear.
Plane came with KM0283010, 1020kv, 180 W motor, that I will start with. Box says it does not come with motor, but oh well
I've already ordered 40A Exceed RC ESC (40A to have room for 480 motor). Spectrum 6100 is on the way.

I looked trough kit, and seems to be good quality, coverings are nice. One thing I do not like is small wheels. It is not plane for grassy runways.
It comes with 3 bladed 9x6 prop, (for some reason folding), and all the hardware.
I will order non folding prop, for better scale look.

I looked trough Electric Warbird sub forum, and have not seen to many Zeros out there. I can't wait to put it in the air.
It is my second plane in general, second warbird, and first balsa model.
If you guys any tips, I'll be happy to hear them.
I will post pictures and reviews here.

Specifications
Wing Span : 39.5 in / 1000 mm
Wing Area : 264 sq in / 17 sq dm
Flying Weight : 27 oz / 760 g
Fuselage Length : 32 in / 820 mm
Radio Required : 5-channel radio w/ 5 micro servos, 20A Brushless ESC, 3 cells 11.1V 2100mAh Li-Po battery & charger

Key Features
Scaled park flyer warbird.
All wood construction and covered with pre-painted genuine heat
Shrink LighTex covering
Pre-installed retractable landing gear
Full house controls
Pre-painted fiberglass cowling
High performance KM0283010 outrunner motor included
Ultralite pilot included

What do you all think?
scoobiemario is offline Find More Posts by scoobiemario
Last edited by scoobiemario; May 07, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2011, 09:52 PM
Look Up!
Canada, MB, Niverville
Joined Apr 2008
5,027 Posts
Looks like a nice scale plane but the lines are way over done. My VQ zero was the same way.
gewiens is offline Find More Posts by gewiens
Old May 07, 2011, 03:09 AM
Joined Sep 2009
16 Posts
I think you may find this is a review of the same model

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ld+models+zero

Cheers
sorted is offline Find More Posts by sorted
Old May 07, 2011, 09:07 AM
Joined Jan 2011
1,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorted View Post
I think you may find this is a review of the same model

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ld+models+zero

Cheers
Pretty interesting. Looks like since then, they added battery latch on top of the fuse, and revised CG. My manual says 63mm, while old one was 68mm.
Looks like I got myself interesting plane.
I'll be out at flying field today, but I'll start working on plane this weekend, and posting my thoughts, questions and pictures!
Old May 13, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,128 Posts
I pretty much put it all together in last two nights. There was really not that much work. Looks like Airborne Models listened, and fixed all the annoying issues from previous revisions:
- they added battery hatch
- revised CG
- push rod guide tubes are not too tight anymore, they are about 1.5 - 2 times of push rod diameter

Few things I did not like:
- landing gear door is cut too big, it does not match landing gear very well
- I added layer of glue to all the places I could reach, where pieces of wood connect. now I'm sure it is glued right.
- Prop:, it is folding prop, and I am not sure if it's working right.
I can easily pull prop blades towards the front of plane to about 120 degrees away from motor shaft. is it suppose to be like that? I do not know ho will it work, when spinning prop will create thrust, it will bend itself away from the plane.
I already purchased Master Airscrea 6x8x3 prop. I wam going to use it, but need to make it work with stock spinner.
I am going to replace stock wheels with rubber tire wheels, specially tail one. Stock is plastic, and I can not see how would it work, no grip at all?....

I received 40A ESC today, and installed it in PZ P-47. EFlight 30 A with 3A EBEC were moved from P47 to Zero. All the servos are installed, everything is ready, and waiting for receiver. I have AR7000 available now, since my TRex 500 is going trough some repairs but I'll wait for receiver I ordered for this plane. I will not have time to finish Zero untill next week.
This weekend we have Air Show in Hampton, VA, and Night Flying in Newport News RC Club airfield (Saturday 7PM - 11PM), you're all invited!!

When I finis Zero, I'll post more pictures, and some videos. This plane is beautiful, and I can't wait to fly it.

PS:
I was in flying field today, and B25 passed by on the way to near by airport.
I SOUNDED GORGES!!!
I think I know what my next plane will be
Old May 20, 2011, 10:27 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,128 Posts
So I just finished working on Zero.
Retracts required some tweaking, I had servo binding at both ends with only one retract, than with the other. It seemed that adjusting push rods sort it all out. Everything else went pretty easy.
CG came out at 69mm, 21g of led on the nose moved it to 63mm, plane balances perfect on the stand.
I installed Dionsus servo speed reducer on retracts, and it makes it really scale like.
30A EFlight ESC, 3A EBEC, metal gear servos(TPro MG90), EFlight SV80 on ailerons.
With stock prop it pulls 18.74 Amp, and makes 214 W
With Master Airscrew 8x6 it pulls 14.09 A, and makes 162 A.
So i will keep stock prop. 480 motor may come in the future, since stock motor can take 15A (20A burst for 15sec.)
I am not sure how will tail wheel work, since it is thin, and made of plastic, so rubber wheel may be installed soon.
Plane look really good.
I am going to flying field, i will take some pictures, video, and I will post flight review.

Mario
Old May 21, 2011, 10:46 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,128 Posts
So I flew plane today. It flies pretty easy, however it is not nearly as easy as Parkzone P47. You have to keep up the speed when landing. Otherwise it is pretty good, scale flying plane.
I had to replace tail wheel, stock plastic one gives no ground control at all. Also I broke both landing gear doors, and will replace it with some less brittle plastic.
Other than that plane looks good in the air, and I am happy with it.
Some pictures and videos!!

Airborne models Zero (0 min 59 sec)
Old Sep 10, 2011, 04:36 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,146 Posts
GravesRC Swap Meet Find!

Hi Guys!

I brought a few models to sell and did not get too much attention since I came sort of late at 10:45am and did not setup my own table at 11:00am

Needless to say, what happened was that yet another model found it's way to my car!!! It was not one that I brought with me to sell, either!!!!

GravesRC is one of the largest Hobby Stores in Central Florida and they hosted a nice Swap Meet Sale with Tables and all items in the store was 10% Discounted only for today.

Can you believe it, a brand new WORLD MODELS JAPANESE ZERO (New version with the Battery Hatch) and pre-installed Retract Servo (HS-85MG) and Aileron Servos (HS-55's) for a cool $45.00 US CASH! All hardware and includes the Brushless motor with the Folding Propeller but, I will use a Three blade propeller instead.

Here she is:

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 11, 2011, 09:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,128 Posts
Wow, you got awesome deal.
That is very nice plane, I used MAster Airscrew 8x6x3 and Exceed Rocket 3010-1190 motor. Perfect balance, awesome power! I crashed it due to receiver problem. I miss it a lot !
Enjoy it!