Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:51 PM
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Mar 2011
223 Posts
I'm using a CS 12 bld and motor from x flight on 6s and a stock elevator set up ( with flat spots ground into the shafts and I check to make sure there tight before each flight (preflight ) I'm only pushing 1770 watts so I have to fly scale , But this is a very good looking plane in the air, It just looks better when flown scale . If I want to yank and bank and throw an edf around I fly my modified F22 64mm , This plane just wont look right flown that way
rush1 is offline Find More Posts by rush1
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:41 AM
Mil-Spec
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Mar 2008
120 Posts
Rush, any plans to go to the Best in the West jet rally later this week? Or the Big Jolt event at Prado in Nov?

It's a personal choice how we fly, there is no wrong way. I like turnin and burning as well, the habu 32 and fun jet ultra are great for that. My recent builds and purchases have me flying more scale and fine tuning the skill.
mcgoughman is offline Find More Posts by mcgoughman
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:52 AM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Nov 2006
10,644 Posts
For sure people can fly how they want. And some slower scale plane 'should' only fly that way... unless the pilot doesn't want to, LOL.
The bigger issue is when it flies under duress, whether you intended that or not! Then you find out if shortfalls cause a fatal outcome instead of a recovery. Or like the FlyFly's... wheels fall off, literally(!), hehe.

So you either leave things as they are - sub-standard really - and take the risks. Or you 'fix' up those shortfalls and then won't ever encounter their issues.
I guess it is like driving a car without seat belts... if nothing goes wrong you are fine... but if....
PeterVRC is offline Find More Posts by PeterVRC
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:09 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Well said above, I was recently debited 1 point by the mod. when I said somewhere that the max. precaution is when sister puts rubber on candle. I ment no harm, all I was trying to say is that the prevention is better then the cure, J.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Oct 17, 2012, 03:59 AM
" EMBRACE THE DARK SIDE '
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
guys i have glued the plastic things that are on the wings before the ailerons backward
i.e the pointy bit bit facing forward,will that affect anything?or is it just for scale looks that it's there??
cheers
rudy
rudeboy579 is offline Find More Posts by rudeboy579
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:33 AM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
Rudy,

You can always fly it backwards... First of all--those wing fences are looking scale. I haven't seen anyone fly without them to know if they do have the "typical" effect of wing fences. Some planes (T-45 is notorious for that) tend to tip-stall in low speeds, and the existence of wing fences or vortex generators can prevent that. It seems as if this is the role of the wing fences in the F-100. At least in the full scale one. I'm not sure if they do have an impact on the scale version. What I would suggest (and that's just me), is that you cut the pointy part of right now, and then cut out of plastic or 1/32" ply (fiberglassed) something that looks like the original, minus the part that goes into the slot in the wing, and glue it to the now "stump" that you have coming out of the wing, to bring it close to what it should look like. But that's just me...
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:17 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysolomon View Post
Rudy,

You can always fly it backwards... First of all--those wing fences are looking scale. I haven't seen anyone fly without them to know if they do have the "typical" effect of wing fences. Some planes (T-45 is notorious for that) tend to tip-stall in low speeds, and the existence of wing fences or vortex generators can prevent that. It seems as if this is the role of the wing fences in the F-100. At least in the full scale one. I'm not sure if they do have an impact on the scale version. What I would suggest (and that's just me), is that you cut the pointy part of right now, and then cut out of plastic or 1/32" ply (fiberglassed) something that looks like the original, minus the part that goes into the slot in the wing, and glue it to the now "stump" that you have coming out of the wing, to bring it close to what it should look like. But that's just me...
cheers yoram
will redo them
also i want to ditch the x that's at the end of the missiles,they look like they might influence the yaw plane of the jet,dunno
Old Oct 17, 2012, 07:35 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,644 Posts
That wing fence they give is pretty flimsy plastic. You may as well get them back off and make new ones from thin plywood.... or better plastic if you can find some around.

I don't think we would see (note) the aero effects of them, so it is more of a scale look thing. They are well inwards of the tips so I think they must be something to prevent turbulence over the ailerons - on the real plane at supersonic speed I would think
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 17, 2012, 08:12 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
I was "lucky" that the plane I got from Hobby King only had one of those... So I HAD to make two new ones out of ply and fiberglassed them...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 03:10 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
cheers guys
but will it make a difference if i leave them as they are atm??
Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:48 AM
Joined Nov 2006
10,644 Posts
I doubt they do ANYTHING at all for us.
But I would cut off the angled bits if they are sticking forwards! Just make the front end a slight slope rearwards (top cut a bit shorter rearwards).
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:31 AM
Joined Nov 2011
811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterVRC View Post
I doubt they do ANYTHING at all for us.
But I would cut off the angled bits if they are sticking forwards! Just make the front end a slight slope rearwards (top cut a bit shorter rearwards).
kewl,cheers peter,guna leave them as they are i guess,wieghts are in place.i use the wieght that they stick on the alloy rims to balance them bit of carving later and they were in place,i went with the same location as you yoram
Old Oct 18, 2012, 09:11 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
It's a great flier. My recommendation (sorry, Peter...) is: don't push it too hard. Fly scale. I keep watching the video of my first three flights, and there are definitely parts of that video where you think you see the full scale version...
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:40 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
20,621 Posts
just remove them and turn them around ...it will take like 2 mins
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Oct 18, 2012, 02:09 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,346 Posts
Air Sally, as you are well aware, NOTHING in this hobby takes 2 minutes... By design...