HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2014, 02:08 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,495 Posts
Discussion
Tee Dee RC .15 Is Born

To all those who own one and wished they could throttle the beast I have a solution to offer. I sourced a throttle sleeve for the Medallion .15 as I own a .15 with the sleeve it appeared that it could work so found one on ebay. With care I ground down the bulk of the cylinders stop ring and fined tuned it with a hand file. As predicted the sleeve fits and with the cylinder tighten down on the crankcase the sleeve fits great just like the medallion.

Massive ports on the TD and was lucky to source the second generation thick walled cylinder. It appears you can do the same thing to the single exhaust MK II shown in the second pic. Note the TD has the aluminum carb body found on ebay this fits like a glove with leak proof O rings so recommend. The addition of steel sleeve and aluminum carb body will provide more cooling allowing the engine to run at higher rpm.
Amp Abuser is online now Find More Posts by Amp Abuser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2015, 05:49 PM
Team Fearless
United States, MD, Piney Point
Joined Mar 2005
1,843 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to comment and say what a cool job.
You can also swap out a Medallion .09 piston and cyl. with a Queen Bee .074 Piston and Cyl. and have what I dubbed the "King Bee" .09

Shawn
~SnApRoLl is online now Find More Posts by ~SnApRoLl
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:42 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,495 Posts
Cool Shawn do you have a pic?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 07:46 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,495 Posts
Here are some pics I took:
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:10 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amp Abuser View Post
Cool Shawn do you have a pic?
No, I sold the engine years ago when I got into electrics. Sadly I never ran it. However, I did pick up a n.i.b. .074 as well as a Med. .09 with r/c ring a while back.

Shawn
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Jan 29, 2015 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:18 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,495 Posts
Great how did the Medallion crank fit the QB case did you have to mod it?
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:29 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,843 Posts
Quote:
Great how did the Medallion crank fit the QB case did you have to mod it?
. I used the stock .074 crank and I had a bushing insert made at a machine shop as the crank pin on the .074 is smaller than the .09 con rod. journal.

Shawn
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Jan 29, 2015 at 09:35 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 09:33 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,843 Posts
I'd like to build another one if I can find another .09 and an .074 at a decent enough price.

Shawn
Old Jan 29, 2015, 10:15 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,608 Posts
It may be out of balance. Might be fun to try though.
aspeed is online now Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
1,495 Posts
Yes a bushing trick was done in the past by another guy online.
ASpeed your right it will be out of balance the user removed some of the inside material along the lower end of the piston skirt to compensate made the lower part of the inside wall thinner / removed about a 2mm strip to half its thickness. If you weigh the two pistons then do a second weight check after the piston mod and your only off by 1 gram it should do ok. Of course if you can find a non SPI Medallion engine you can simply remove the lower end of the piston till the weight matches the original .074 piston and most likely will have a SPI engine in the process.
Old Jan 29, 2015, 11:54 PM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,843 Posts
Quote:
Yes a bushing trick was done in the past by another guy online.
ASpeed your right it will be out of balance the user removed some of the inside material along the lower end of the piston skirt to compensate made the lower part of the inside wall thinner / removed about a 2mm strip to half its thickness. If you weigh the two pistons then do a second weight check after the piston mod and your only off by 1 gram it should do ok. Of course if you can find a non SPI Medallion engine you can simply remove the lower end of the piston till the weight matches the original .074 piston and most likely will have a SPI engine in the process.
Do you know if the user in question has any pictures of the piston mods as well as video?
Hindsight being 20-20, I wish I would have kept mine. Unfortunately, I had to sell a few things to fund new projects back when a little 3 cell 1300mah LiPo was about $50.00 and about $100.00 for an AXI outrunner and a matching ESC. About a year or two later, I sold off most all my electric stuff and got into giant scale gassers.

Shawn
Old Yesterday, 12:05 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,495 Posts
LOL I know the feeling I have gone from small to large back and forth over the years... electric and nitro and gas weeee. I guess the trick is to hang on to your hard fought gear when possible so you're all set when the winds of change have you revisiting the different types.
Old Yesterday, 12:10 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,495 Posts
I'm doing the TD 09 plane then a TD 15 design then a 25 then a large big bird 4 stroke nitro is the plan. Here is the big bird already a doodle made up..two engine choices.

I have two of the Aces of Iron 1/4 scale pilots is the incentive.
Old Yesterday, 12:12 AM
Joined Dec 2007
1,495 Posts
Its a high speed or slow scale depending on engine british scout plane.
Old Yesterday, 03:22 AM
Team Fearless
Joined Mar 2005
1,843 Posts
Quote:
I'm doing the TD 09 plane then a TD 15 design then a 25 then a large big bird 4 stroke nitro is the plan. Here is the big bird already a doodle made up..two engine choices.

I have two of the Aces of Iron 1/4 scale pilots is the incentive.
That drawing is cool. It looks almost Eindecker-ish but yet it has that British flare. I wish I could draw like that! I can't even draw a crooked line. LOL

For my planes, I went from flying a 90" Extra to a .40 size H9 Tango to a .25 powered Flite Streak down to my La Stick. My next project is either going to be an .09 size Match Stick with quad flaps and a counter balanced Ultra Stick style vert stab & rudder or I'm going to build an .049 or .10 sized Playboy with R.E.T.

I have pics and a build thread of my LaStick here in the 1/2a forum. And I'll start a build thread of my next project once I decide what I want to build next. Meanwhile, here is a pics of my Composite-Arf Extra 330L powered by a DA-85.
The power to weight ratio is absolutely sick!!!! Full throttle will scare you!!
Shawn
Last edited by ~SnApRoLl; Yesterday at 03:52 AM. Reason: Stupid Autocorrect!!