HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2015, 11:45 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2013
425 Posts
Can someone who has the DX8 or DX9 setup for this plane post the setup file (SPX)? I am having trouble getting the flaps and retracts assign to the my DX9. Thanks
oscarmok is offline Find More Posts by oscarmok
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2015, 01:19 PM
United Kingdom, Northern Ireland, Newtownards
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
Hurricane spm file

Attached, from my DX8.

HTH
Sophisticat is offline Find More Posts by Sophisticat
Old Jan 27, 2015, 02:37 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,672 Posts
Took my Hurricane out to fly today for the first time in probably a year and had a very harrowing takeoff. Being used to grass fields and taking off of a paved runway is not a good combination. To combat nosing over on grass, I'm used to doing short-field takeoffs; elevator back, get the plane into ground effect, let airspeed rise, and then climb out. Well, this morning was gusty and as soon as the plane started rolling, a gust came and lifted the plane. I had no airspeed and the plane inverted and flew to the right, right between me and a fellow pilot who was waiting to takeoff with his Hangar 9 Cub. Fortunately, the plane didn't hit him or his plane but landed on it's back. The strangest part: the only damage was the antenna came loose. There was NOTHING wrong with the plane! It landed softly. So, I flipped it over, apologized, and tried again. This time, I let the plane gain speed, let the tail come up naturally, and then I lifted the plane off the deck. Beautiful.

Next up were the landings. The first was a bit bumpy, but I decided to fly the remaining three batteries and do some landing practice, and by the end of the day, I was able to grease them on quite well. I found that aligning the back of the battery with the back of the radio switch gave me a good CG and made the plane fly really nicely.

All in all, a great day flying the Hurricane. I was really mad in the beginning, but after I figured out that I need to fly it with more speed and to give it more room to do its thing, it flew great. I'm glad I have another one in the box in the closet. I almost needed it today.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Proficiency vs Ability
Old Jan 27, 2015, 03:46 PM
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
Anybody found a substitute for the stock spinner that looks like a Hurri spinner? Thanks.
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:52 PM
United States, OH, Rosemount
Joined Jul 2011
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post
Took my Hurricane out to fly today for the first time in probably a year and had a very harrowing takeoff. Being used to grass fields and taking off of a paved runway is not a good combination. To combat nosing over on grass, I'm used to doing short-field takeoffs; elevator back, get the plane into ground effect, let airspeed rise, and then climb out. Well, this morning was gusty and as soon as the plane started rolling, a gust came and lifted the plane. I had no airspeed and the plane inverted and flew to the right, right between me and a fellow pilot who was waiting to takeoff with his Hangar 9 Cub. Fortunately, the plane didn't hit him or his plane but landed on it's back. The strangest part: the only damage was the antenna came loose. There was NOTHING wrong with the plane! It landed softly. So, I flipped it over, apologized, and tried again. This time, I let the plane gain speed, let the tail come up naturally, and then I lifted the plane off the deck. Beautiful.

Next up were the landings. The first was a bit bumpy, but I decided to fly the remaining three batteries and do some landing practice, and by the end of the day, I was able to grease them on quite well. I found that aligning the back of the battery with the back of the radio switch gave me a good CG and made the plane fly really nicely.

All in all, a great day flying the Hurricane. I was really mad in the beginning, but after I figured out that I need to fly it with more speed and to give it more room to do its thing, it flew great. I'm glad I have another one in the box in the closet. I almost needed it today.
Edge glad to here you brought her home safely, can you comment on what your CG balance point is by bringing your battery that far back out of the batt box? I would like to see how much I could get by with by moving my batteries more aft for grass opps.
JM66 is online now Find More Posts by JM66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2015, 06:53 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
1,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge767 View Post

Edge767...great narrative of a successful day. I recall your frequent posts about a year ago...why the long Hurri break?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticat View Post
Anybody found a substitute for the stock spinner that looks like a Hurri spinner? Thanks.
Not sure of a substitute. I saw a stock one on the shelf at Atlanta Hobby and grabbed it. The guy at the counter told me it was his personal stock of extra parts he'd put out that morning. I found a stock prop too. I may put both under glass since they are so rare!!
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Jan 27, 2015, 07:03 PM
United States, OH, Rosemount
Joined Jul 2011
1,115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
Edge767...great narrative of a successful day. I recall your frequent posts about a year ago...why the long Hurri break?

Not sure of a substitute. I saw a stock one on the shelf at Atlanta Hobby and grabbed it. The guy at the counter told me it was his personal stock of extra parts he'd put out that morning. I found a stock prop too. I may put both under glass since they are so rare!!
Keep them spares underground! lol
I have a little nest egg of spares myself for my precious Hurricane, 4 props,4 spinners and three pre bent struts along with a couple carb intake scoops and some antenna's
JM66 is online now Find More Posts by JM66
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:17 PM
AMA 52726
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Jun 2005
1,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IfIHadWings View Post
A lot of it had to do with the field I was flying at. It just didn't treat the Hurricane well. The grass would tug at the landing gear and even after nice, smooth landings, it would violently nose-over and flip onto its back. I didn't want to do any damage to a nearly irreplaceable plane, so I held back. Now that I fly at a new field that has a paved(ish) runway, I can fly this plane without fear of it flipping over due to being tangled in the St. Augustine. I plan on flying it a lot more now. As a matter of fact, I think it may be going back to the field with me tomorrow morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM66 View Post
Keep them spares underground! lol
I have a little nest egg of spares myself for my precious Hurricane, 4 props,4 spinners and three pre bent struts along with a couple carb intake scoops and some antenna's
Yikes! I wasn't aware the props were so scarce. I might need to start snagging some, if I can find them. I only have one, that I know of, and I'd hate to need one and not have one.
Edge767 is offline Find More Posts by Edge767
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Proficiency vs Ability
Old Jan 27, 2015, 09:31 PM
Eat, Fly, Dream, Repeat...
United States, GA, Jefferson
Joined Jun 2012
1,098 Posts
I've never had the onions to try my Hurri off grass. I've had enough challenges just on tarmac!

Re: props. I've been swapping between the stock and an APC 12x6. I think it flies better on the APC but I prefer the look of the stock one.
I just picked up two Glacier 3s/4000/30c Lipos for the Hurri and FMS B25. Need the weather to cooperate to see how they perform.
IfIHadWings is online now Find More Posts by IfIHadWings
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCM&E "Can-Doo" scratch...
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:51 PM
United Kingdom, Bishop's Cleeve
Joined Feb 2013
479 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisticat View Post
http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk...xd.asp?id=1508

Used these as part of my scale upgrades to my hurricane about a year or 2 back (post 5127 and 5128) http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post24889284

Measure the diameter of the current spinner at the back and go a couple of millimetres larger on the link above and you'll get one that's a good scale representation of the de havilland variable pitch spinner unit.

Splits just where the yellow spinner band went on the original too...
Stephen73 is offline Find More Posts by Stephen73
Old Jan 29, 2015, 12:59 PM
Joined Mar 2012
92 Posts
That's great! Good price too. Thanks a lot, Stephen.