HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 14, 2015, 05:52 PM
Joined Sep 2009
186 Posts
Discussion
stainless steel wire our line

Hi guys , quick question do I have to use stainless steel wire to rig up my mast or can I use line ? Thanks Mike
m.g. is offline Find More Posts by m.g.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 14, 2015, 07:45 PM
United States, CT, Essex
Joined Mar 2013
314 Posts
What kind of boat?
SailingJunkie is offline Find More Posts by SailingJunkie
Old Feb 15, 2015, 10:42 PM
Joined Sep 2009
186 Posts
I have a VICTOR MODEL A3 and I'm upgrading my boat for fun , can I used decron line for the mast or do I have to used stainless steel wire ?
Old Feb 16, 2015, 01:21 AM
United States, CA, Alameda
Joined Nov 2010
950 Posts
I would use wire, as it stretches less and resists chafe a lot better. Unfortunately we don't have the hitech fibers that are available for real boats (non model boats). Ryan
Rssailor is offline Find More Posts by Rssailor
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:39 AM
Hayward, CA
Joined Jan 2009
916 Posts
I use braided stainless steel wire, less prone to accidental kinking and looks nicer than plain wire.
Vince Hoffmann is offline Find More Posts by Vince Hoffmann
Last edited by Vince Hoffmann; Feb 16, 2015 at 09:30 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 10:52 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,110 Posts
I like the plastic coated twisted wired used for downriggers (fishing supplies). It is a bit 'softer' than the solid wire provided in the kit and resists coiling up and kinking. There are several boat kits that us soft line and bowsies for rigging, so it's not a question of if it's possible or not, just what do you want to do. The boats weigh less than 10 pounds so you don't need much to work. Low to zero stretch will help a lot.

Dave
boater_dave is offline Find More Posts by boater_dave
Old Feb 18, 2015, 01:09 AM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
United States, MI, Howell
Joined Jul 2012
359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
I have used SS leader and SS rigging screws for years. No problems and really adds a lot to any boat!
Boomer
I like the coated ss leader. but be careful of the coated stuff, I did not know any better and lost a mast once. I still use it but installed a litte different now
A few good tips. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2162842
liljimmy is offline Find More Posts by liljimmy
Old Feb 18, 2015, 03:38 AM
Joined Jan 2006
635 Posts
I personally switched to the solid SS wire. done with the braided/coated wire and crimps. To use the solid wire you have to buy the tool from Dubro, but any hobby town will order one for you. Costs about $15.
slotracer577 is offline Find More Posts by slotracer577
Old Feb 18, 2015, 12:58 PM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,110 Posts
I've used the plastic coated wire on all my boats, and some of them are going on 25 years old. Even my big J Boat uses the coated wire, just a bigger size. I just like the feel of it. In all my connections, a single crimp sleeve over the plastic jacket is all I have ever used. You do need to use the proper sized crimp sleeve, and crimp it twice, perpendicular to each other. That provides a very tortuous path that the wire must get pulled through to come undone. The thing I don't like about that connection is it doesn't look very scale.
As for testing the rig (per linked thread), remember that the boat gets dragged through the water by the rigging. Loads build up fast. If you feel squeamish pulling the boat on it's side by the masthead, what do you think is going to happen on the water? I routinely pick my Victor S&S out of the water by the masthead. I wouldn't do that with the bigger boats, and the masthead height makes that unlikely anyway.

Dave
Last edited by boater_dave; Feb 18, 2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:19 PM
Joined Sep 2009
186 Posts
2 questions what is chafe ? And boater Dave were do you get those turnbuckles ?
Old Feb 18, 2015, 02:38 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.g. View Post
2 questions what is chafe ? And boater Dave were do you get those turnbuckles ?
MG
Here is a link to the items you are asking about. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...vis+&search=Go

These are actually referred to as a "Clevis" and are used widely in RC aircraft. The good news is they work well on RC boats.
You can get these little guys in different materials: SS, plastic and plated finishes. SS are always good for Marine applications. They are not very expensive either. Plated versions can rust, so consider SS or plastic which don't rust.

I am on the same page as Boater Dave. As I posted earlier, I've use the nylon coated leader for years with zero issues. The key is, as he mentioned, the leader and sleeve must match - I double crimp my sleeves to insure no slippage. I've tried different test leader and found 30lb. test works the best for me. It is more than strong enough for any conditions I 've sailed in - and it is easy to install. Seems to be the right scale as well. Perhaps on larger boats a 45lb. test leader might be in order. The largest boat I have is 46" long and to date the 30lb. test has worked flawlessly. Love how it looks too!

On some of the pictures you can enlarge the image by double clicking on it.

Boomer

Chafe =to rub and thereby cause wear
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 23, 2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 06:36 PM
Joined Sep 2009
186 Posts
Thanks Boomer and the rest of you for all the good intel. I love how helpful people are on this site .
Old Feb 24, 2015, 11:12 AM
Big Boats Rule!
Wisconsin
Joined Jun 2007
2,110 Posts
Another handy bit of fittings, but are getting harder to find, is the stuff that goes on a Kyosho Seawind. They used to be available as spares, but may be getting hard to find these days. Best to get both the plastic and metal parts, but the metal parts are the only ones required. The set contains four tangs (2 singles, 2 doubles) and 8 baseplates. The plastic part is a deck standoff, but can be fabricated using stock and a little time. Some kind of standoff is required as the tang goes deeper than the bottom of the plate. The base plate captures the tang, but allows a little movement to align to the load. And they look nice and scale.

Dave

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/Chain-P...t_p_23162.html

http://www.kyoshoamerica.com/DIS--SW...B_p_8896.html#
Old Feb 24, 2015, 12:08 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,689 Posts
Guys,
I had a nice picture of the assembled parts - thought it'd illustrate how all those parts come together to make a very clean installation. Some Victor Models come with a single shroud others have two. My V32 has a single shroud on each side. The 39" version America 3 comes with double (two on each side) the 24" version is likely a single.

You'll have to determine which base plate is most appropriate. The decks on Victor Models are typically very thin and changing to a newer style may require reinforcement under the deck to accommodate the new hardware.

Boomer

Nice build thread on an America 3 maybe of interest. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1582264&page=3
Boomer1 is offline Find More Posts by Boomer1
Last edited by Boomer1; Feb 24, 2015 at 12:36 PM.