New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 15, 2015, 11:41 AM
Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Joined Sep 2002
1,071 Posts
An addendum: another way you could handle this would be to steal an idea that is used by the Victoria sailors. In this case, the winches ARE locked ( screws put in from below) hard into position, and a plastic or smooth metal ring is suspended between them, on a very taut line. Your mainsheet exits from the normal place but then passes thru the ring before it reaches the boom. This is a sort of mainsheet traveller, I guess, but is also has some characteristics of a block or pulley. It would also prevent fouling on the winches. I don't know of anybody who rigs their boat this way, but I don't think it would hurt anything, and is completely reversible without leaving any evidence of it behind, if you don't like it.
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2015, 12:52 PM
Find More Posts by telixx
Joined Feb 2015
6 Posts
Aten W Arthog thanks a million !
You sure gave me a lot of leads here ! The winch drums have elastic BUT since this an old boat these are just not elastic anymore ... so iff I change to fresh softer ... it will sure do the job of knocking out of the way and poping back into place again . I really was wondering why were these under deck . so got this cleared out
The lines are generaly ok .. but when I loosen the line ...to the moment the boom opens , its the moment it slakens & brushes against the winch drums .
If you have any fotos of the modification you did , that realy sounds interesting and more afective ,please upload them!
I would like to change all the lines , cause the are real hard aged... what lines do you recomend ? Fishing lines or the originals ?
Im also not into racing .... one part of my hobby is fotoshootiing them ! so scale , should be like the real thing . Im into car/nitro stuff mostly!,,, and thanks for letting me know what everything is called on a sailboat heres a video and some fotos of my Maiden Voyage
RC SAILBOAT Kyosho Fairwind III RC Team GFKA Alexandroupolis GREECE (6 min 16 sec)
telixx is offline Find More Posts by telixx
Old Feb 15, 2015, 05:10 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,071 Posts
Kali Spera, or however you say it:-)

I'm not the world champion RC sailor, but what I see in your video is a lot of fluttering when you turn thru the wind, and that overall your rigging is a little too loose and out of adjustment. Also, that the jib (smaller sail in front) and the mainsail swing out to different distances, when they should have a very nearly identical range of motion. Fix that.

See, if you think of the mainsail as a wing, the jib in front is like the leading-edge slats of an airplane wing, a device that helps the air flow better around an airfoil for greater lift. When the slot between the jib and main is the right size, the jib multiplies the power of the mainsail.

The short system of ropes near the base of the mast, attached to the boom, is called a "boom vang" over here, the Brits call this a "kicking strap", anyway: yours looks a little loose. The way the boat heels over in those strong winds, dragging the boom thru the water, you might consider adding some extra, removable ballast to the keel, if possible. On a full scale boat, in winds like that, it would be a scale sized hurricane and the main sail would be partially rolled-up, called "reefing", and a smaller jib would be used. Kyosho's model doesn't feature this, but you could imitate it by using the original sail as a pattern to cut a newer, less-tall sail, say, a third shorter, from some dacron or tyvek kite cloth or mylar film, with the removed part coming from the bottom edge. Also, a smaller jib in the same proportion. Then your boat would spend less time completely heeled-over in those strong winds. I frankly switch to kite flying when the winds get over about ten miles per hour, because for me the entire experience is about making the boat sail in as scale-like a manner as possible.

About that: the mainsheet going in and out is like the accelerator "gas" pedal in your RC cars. Pulling the boom inwards towards the center of the boat, against the wind, increases force and thus speed, letting it out is the "brakes", along with heading directly into the wind to stop the boat... but if you have too much wind, and you tighten the mainsheet, the boat heels over to balance the excess load. That means when you heel a lot all the time, you really need much less sail, and the sail should be lower on the mast. When the boat heels over too hard, it's like losing wheel traction on dirt: it's not efficient and decreases control precision.

When you turn the boat thru the head-on wind, I see you do it too slowly, and without first building up speed to carry the bow thru the "eye" of the wind> Your sails flutter, and you lose way. What you want to do before turning or "tacking" thru the head-on wind, is build up a little speed on an angle off to the side of the wind first, then pull the mainsheet tight, centering the boom over the deck, while turning the rudder hard-over at the same time, and as the bow passes thru the the "eye" of the wind and moves to the other side of it, release rudder pressure and at the same time, let out the mainsheet again, slowly, re-tightening the sheet if you get any flutter. That flutter is considered bad, because it can rapidly wear out sails and their attachment points, It's also just inefficient , like stalling a car engine or losing a clutch, do you follow?

You could replace the string that is your mainsheet with a stiff fishing line monofilament and it may help. Also, look at the mast base, where the mast plugs into a square hole on the deck. You have a choice of 3 or 4 positions for that base, and that position affects handling of the boat in hard wind. More forward makes the boat more stable and it wants to always turn towards the wind. More aft position reduces that tendency and may make the boat want to turn away from the wind, but the handling will be more "agile" and sporty. These are called "weather helm" and "lee helm". You might try repositioning the mast at either end of that range to see how you like the difference in handling it brings.

And why are there no eyes painted on the bow!?!?!

καλή τύχη !
Old Feb 15, 2015, 05:56 PM
Joined Feb 2015
6 Posts
Kalispera!! xaxa !!!
Well mate IF I were to read your info 2 days ago .... I wouldnt understand anything Now that i went sailing first time im starting to understand some.... well ill read over and over till i get everything !!
I can say i thought i would end up crashing on the opossite side of the wind ! ... well it went well for a firstimer not expecting to bring the boat back ! I didnt even concider the wind at starts !
Do you sail in Britain ? Whats with the bow eyes?
EFXARISTW POLI ! (Ευχαριστω πολλυ !)
FB LINK https://www.facebook.com/telis.moraitis
Old Feb 15, 2015, 06:04 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,071 Posts
I guess they only paint eyes on triremes? :-)
Old Feb 15, 2015, 07:46 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,071 Posts
It is nice that you have a go pro type camera to video the boat; maybe I can get you to help me with the data-gathering phase of a huge, world-wide project involving the Fairwind.

I plan to organize one day/weekend in 2015 where every Fairwind owner in the world sails at the same time, times themselves on a 25, 50, or 100-meter upwind-downwind course, and post their times on a shared spreadsheet that will show who was the fastest (on corrected time) Fairwind skipper in the WORLD! You won't need to be in a club or have more than one boat to participate, though clubs are welcomed. The races and the practice runs will be timed using the time code from any video camera or cameraphone recording your run between two visible marks , the videos posted to youtube with links all to one place, and we can all see each other's race results. The idea is to show Kyosho and the RC boating world the true size and spirit of the Fairwind class, to promote this awesome boat as a one-design racer.

But, before we can race, I need people to time their boats on a practice course, and submit their times plus the local wind speeds, so I can perfect the formula that sorts out the corrected times, since the wind will be different all around the world at the same time. Let me know if you will be one of the leaders in the data-gathering phase!
Old Feb 16, 2015, 01:46 AM
Joined Feb 2015
6 Posts
Ofcourse ,if I can help i will ... So let me summ up ... I have to meter a 25, 50, or 100-meter upwind-downwind course , meter the wind (suggest me a Anemometer For Wind Speed to buy from ebay ) put a camera on the boat or stationary on land with the recording time on and send you this data ? In order to do this i should manage this distance/ route .. hehe.. As long as we all have your tech backup i think it will be possible . we can go to fb inbox if you wish so we dont fill this forum space https://www.facebook.com/telis.moraitis ............ and its a cool thing putting eyes on the bow .. revival!!!!
Last edited by telixx; Feb 16, 2015 at 01:52 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 03:05 AM
Joined Sep 2002
1,071 Posts
I'll take it on faith that your course is properly measured for the first phase of data collection. The information I will need is: the weight of the boat, if the sails are original stock or non-original, the local wind speed ( I found pocket anemometers, either the electronic kind or the tubular Dwyer type, for 20 US dollars or less). Some folks might have miniature GPS trackers or wrist-watches with GPS that can be stowed away on the boat for the data logging. The very cheapest thing would be to use a stopwatch and/or cell phone video, plus a human spotter with a sighting device at each end of your course, to insure the runs are as accurate as possible. The test course must be laid out straight upwind and down-wind, requiring you to tack upwind and "run" down-wind, fast as you can. From the down-wind to the upwind mark and back past the first mark is one "lap". Do as many laps as you have time for, only, check the wind speed for each one, as well as giving a time for completing each lap. The full course will be 100 meters, but not every sailing spot will have the room for an upwind/downwind course that long, so, you will have the option to do 2 laps on a 50-meter course, or 4 laps on a 25-meter course, as long as it adds up to time to complete 100 meters and the course is half upwind and half downwind. That's as simple as I can make it.
Last edited by Aten W Arthog; Feb 16, 2015 at 12:45 PM.
Old Feb 17, 2015, 10:49 AM
Joined Feb 2015
6 Posts
Hi .. jusst checked with the harbour authorities... and they wont allow to put 2 floating markers 50 or 100 m mark on an unbussy part of the harbour where we usualy go ! we have a gps tracker ,and was just gonna get an anemometre. is there another way to mark the 2 distance marks ? We dont have lakes here . Could do it along the beach but we get the wind vertikal either north or south winds .
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:30 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,071 Posts
Certainly, another method is to put two friends with sighting devices on the shoreline or pier, the sighting device is just a stick, or old photographer's tripod, with a simple tube or stick with a ring and pin sight, like an old rifle sight, on it to use as a sight. The "gate" is thus virtual. Each site is lined up with some corresponding mark across the water, and you use protractor to make sure the sight line "gates" are at 90 degrees to a distance line on land. Now, when the boat passes the sighting device, the man at that device signals back to you with an air horn blast. a toot on a vuvuzela, or a radio or phone signal, whatever, that you've passed the gate and can turn around. Such things are used by the high speed slope soaring RC plane racers, and it works fine.