Find More Posts by cbp
cbp
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2011
22 Posts
Help!
1S LiPo parallel charging with Accucell 6

Hey guys,

I need some help here. I've read tutorials all over the place and now I am less knowledgeable than before. Most are for bigger cell batteries, and being a total n00b, I am afraid to mess up.

I need someone to tell me step by step what I need to do to charge my lipo batteries. From correctly setting up the Accucell-6 to finish.

This is my setup:
- 300W ATX power supply modded for use with the Accucell 6 http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.bat...OWERSUPPLY.HTM
- Turnigy Accucel-6 50W 6A http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=7028
- 2 Pin 6 x Pico Plug Charging Set Eflite compatible. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=10621

Batteries I want to charge:
- 1x 1S Hobbyzone 3.7V 150mAh (.5Wh) 12C LiPo [EFLB1501S]
- 5x 1S Hyperion CX G3 25C LiPo 3.7V 160mAh
----To charge an extra spare:--------
- 1x 1S 3.7V 150mAh Li-po Battery for SYMA S107 (heli) [S107G-19]
----To charge later on:--------------
- 1x 2S ThunderPower 250mAh 7.4V 20C Pro Lite V2 [THP2502SJPL2]
------------------------------------

Thanks,
cbp is offline Find More Posts by cbp
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2011, 05:41 AM
Find More Posts by gulio
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,691 Posts
You know you would only be able to charge (up to 6) 1s together. Many users recommend making sure the voltage is close to same level on all cells before plugging them in.

Set charger to 1s,lipo, and your desired current. You may also want to poke around in the various menus and flowcharts familiarizing yourself with timer,max capacity, and such.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Jul 11, 2011, 06:57 AM
cbp
Find More Posts by cbp
cbp
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
You know you would only be able to charge (up to 6) 1s together. Many users recommend making sure the voltage is close to same level on all cells before plugging them in.

Set charger to 1s,lipo, and your desired current. You may also want to poke around in the various menus and flowcharts familiarizing yourself with timer,max capacity, and such.
Thanks Gulio, I'll check it out tonight. I am just confused on how different it is to set up 6 batteries to charge compared to just one.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by gulio
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,691 Posts
Oh, you can multiply the rate and capacity by 6.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Jul 12, 2011, 12:20 PM
Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,552 Posts
Hyperion has a nice little guide on parallel charging 1S lipos with their adapter:

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/lgum6p.htm

Quote:
Guidelines:

* The adapter can charge 1 cell to 6 cells at the same time. However, note that this connection is PARALLEL. As such, all batteries should be at approximately the same state of discharge when connected to the adapter. We recommend using the Tx flight timer each flight, to help insure that the resting voltages of cells to be charged are similar.

* Due to the parallel arrangement, any small differences in cell voltage will be balanced after the batteries are connected together for a few minutes. A balancer connection is not required, therefore, as each cell will automatically balance to the other after connection and during charge.

Charger Settings:

a) The voltage setting on the charger should always be set to "1S LiPo", regardless of number of packs attached to the UM adapter.

b) Charge rate depends on the maximum charge rate allowed by the battery manufacturer, or less according to your desire.

TOTAL current (A) setting on your charger will then equal: Desired Rate per Cell * Number of cells connected to the parallel adapter
NOTE: Desired rate per cell is dependent on the maximum charge rate of your particular brand. If doubt, choose 1C as the maximum charge rate as it's safe for all battery types. DO NOT use the 'C' rating of the battery! ie. 15C

ie.

150mAh @ 1C charge = 0.15A
150mAh @ 2C charge = 0.3A
etc.

Here is a handy little table for figuring out the amp rate setting:

philipa_240sx is online now Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Last edited by philipa_240sx; Jul 12, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 06:56 AM
cbp
Find More Posts by cbp
cbp
Canada, QC, Montreal
Joined May 2011
22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipa_240sx View Post
Hyperion has a nice little guide on parallel charging 1S lipos with their adapter:

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/g3lipo/lgum6p.htm

NOTE: Desired rate per cell is dependent on the maximum charge rate of your particular brand. If doubt, choose 1C as the maximum charge rate as it's safe for all battery types. DO NOT use the 'C' rating of the battery! ie. 15C

ie.

150mAh @ 1C charge = 0.15A
150mAh @ 2C charge = 0.3A
etc.

Here is a handy little table for figuring out the amp rate setting:

Awesome, thanks. I think this is what I was looking for. I will not charge faster than 1C. I am not in a hurry and I want to be safe.
Old Jul 18, 2011, 07:13 AM
Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Ontario, Canada
Joined Apr 2010
2,552 Posts
I've been parallel charging my UM 1S lipos for the past year. It works quite well.

Good luck with it!
philipa_240sx is online now Find More Posts by philipa_240sx
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by protocol
Registered Noob
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined May 2011
353 Posts
something I've been wondering about the parallel charging boards and cables, how or when do they start to equalize the (slight) differences between batts?

the moment they are attached to the parallel board/cable, or only once the board/cable have been plugged into the charger as well? (do all the batts equalize just sitting on the board/cable by themself, not attached to the charger?)
protocol is offline Find More Posts by protocol
Old Jul 18, 2011, 09:20 AM
PLD
Find More Posts by PLD
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by protocol View Post
something I've been wondering about the parallel charging boards and cables, how or when do they start to equalize the (slight) differences between batts?
The resistance of the connections/wires/interconnects handle the shifts, fortunately though with (hopefully!) small voltage differences there shouldn't be a lot of current moving around.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Nov 16, 2014, 01:15 AM
Find More Posts by barrett500
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Hi,

I bought this - http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=32144 so that I could charge my UM T-28 Trojan's 1s lipos with the accucel 6, I soldered some bannana plugs on only to find that the connection for the lipos is slightly too big for the UM lipos that I have. The pins are a few mm too far apart.

I cant seem to get the the Hyperion G3 adaptor mentioned above in Aus. Anyone know of an alternative?

Thanks
barrett500 is offline Find More Posts by barrett500
Old Nov 16, 2014, 01:39 AM
Find More Posts by barrett500
Joined Oct 2014
12 Posts
Just realised I need the pico plug adaptor instead. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...Warehoue_.html for anyone with the smaller battery connection.
barrett500 is offline Find More Posts by barrett500
Old Jan 28, 2015, 04:16 PM
Find More Posts by felixthemaster
Newbie RC'r and member
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Sep 2011
390 Posts
Do you add up the Mahs of the lipos and use that as the A setting on the charger whilst leaving voltage as 1S?
felixthemaster is offline Find More Posts by felixthemaster
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:03 PM
Find More Posts by slipstick
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
11,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthemaster View Post
Do you add up the Mahs of the lipos and use that as the A setting on the charger whilst leaving voltage as 1S?
That's about it, as in the useful table in post #5.

Of course you will have converted from mA to A i.e. 6 x 200mAh = 1200 but you don't charge at 1200A....rather 1.2A (I'm sure that's what you meant ). That's for a 1C charge...you can go higher for most small 1S batteries. I do most of mine at 2C or even 3C if I'm in a hurry.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 28, 2015, 05:13 PM
Find More Posts by felixthemaster
Newbie RC'r and member
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Sep 2011
390 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
That's about it, as in the useful table in post #5.

Of course you will have converted from mA to A i.e. 6 x 200mAh = 1200 but you don't charge at 1200A....rather 1.2A (I'm sure that's what you meant ). That's for a 1C charge...you can go higher for most small 1S batteries. I do most of mine at 2C or even 3C if I'm in a hurry.

Steve
I have no idea what the C rating is. My accucel 6 only asks for voltage and A nothing about C
felixthemaster is offline Find More Posts by felixthemaster
Old Feb 01, 2015, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by schuey19
Australia, NSW, Forest Hill
Joined Sep 2013
209 Posts
Here's one for you all. I have an iMax B6 and the pico 6 parallel lead from HK. I run my nanotech 160s down to about 3.8v most of the time, and I charge 6 at 1C (0.9A). I have the time cut out set at 45minutes, which it reaches. I then check it on a meter and it usually reads around 4.10-4.12. I start the charge again and it mostly goes for another 15 minutes. So close to an hour. When I use them, some will still give 5-6minutes in the 1S UM warbirds, while some will LVC at about 2 minutes. I guess those 2 minute ones are on the way out. They were purchased last Jun and have quite a few cycles. I also charge them at the end flying so they are ready whenever the weather allows (fly in the street, houses only on my side). Would this affect them much. Going to start charging at 1.9A (2C) to quicken it up a bit. Does the higher charge rate shorten the life?
schuey19 is offline Find More Posts by schuey19
Last edited by schuey19; Feb 01, 2015 at 07:21 AM.