Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 03, 2008, 07:15 PM
Joined Apr 2008
10 Posts
Discussion
Need a good cheap simulator

I bought a HZ SC and my first two flights lasted less than 20 seconds cumulative. Does anyone know of a good, cheap simulator that I can practice on ?
doublephd is offline Find More Posts by doublephd
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2008, 07:15 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,433 Posts
FMS is free; CLearview is great and $30 bucks.
IPFlyer is offline Find More Posts by IPFlyer
Old May 04, 2008, 01:07 AM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
I got about 20 fun flights on repaired HZSC, and sim practice is making a huge difference. A cheap sim that works great for newbie practice is FMS free download with oodles of free download models available. Graphics are mickey mouse but don't matter. You can get the ESky controller from Raidentech $25 incl shipping. Keep practicing .

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old May 04, 2008, 01:18 AM
Indianola Iowa
Joined Jan 2008
1,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublephd
I bought a HZ SC and my first two flights lasted less than 20 seconds cumulative. Does anyone know of a good, cheap simulator that I can practice on ?
Hi Like ICKY says FMS is FREE here is link to there home page http://n.ethz.ch/~mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

Here is link to more models
http://gunnerson.homestead.com/files/fms_models.htm

Have Fun
Happy Flights & Soft Landings
Sayers1 ( Jerry )
Sayers1 is offline Find More Posts by Sayers1
Old May 04, 2008, 02:28 AM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,160 Posts
As said above FMS, will teach you what you need to be successful.
Be sure to check out smartpropoplus Using the transmitter training port, an easy to make patch cord, and your computers sound card, you can use your transmitter as a controller. I am not sure about the SC's (see link below) transmitter, but most radio brands are supported. The instructions for constructing the patch cord are simple and easy to follow. I made one for an old Airtronics am radio, and another for my JR radios.

Heres a link to use your SC TX.
HZ SC smartpropoplus
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old May 04, 2008, 01:15 PM
Joined Apr 2008
10 Posts
Thanks for all the pointers. Has the Clearview price increased ? The realsim website says $39 and not $30. Is there any other place I can get it for $30 ?
doublephd is offline Find More Posts by doublephd
Old May 04, 2008, 01:36 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,433 Posts
My bad... I meant to type a 4 not a 3. Still a bargain at $39 Try it out.
Old May 04, 2008, 02:03 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
clearview is okay. it doesn't behave as much like a real plane as real flight or more expensive programs i.e. when you go inverted in clearview the plane doesn't pull down, but in RF it does pull down. I have played both and RF is much much much better but clearview isn't terrible.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24
Old May 04, 2008, 04:43 PM
The Midwest
Joined Apr 2008
263 Posts
I've been debating a sim purchase like this. I have messed with FMS for the last few days, but after trying Clearview, I'll probably be buying something. I'm just trying to figure out with real flight is going to be worth the extra $140 to get. But from what I think clearview from nothing else other than the demo seems worth the $40 compared to FMS. Just my very newbie $0.02 though.

(Well, I guess after a controller purchase as well, it would be $125 difference)
medicus is offline Find More Posts by medicus
Last edited by medicus; May 04, 2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old May 04, 2008, 06:03 PM
old pilot
Rapid City SD
Joined Dec 2007
3,822 Posts
One newbie's experience:

A better sim would have stretched my budget a lot, and my laptop is marginal for the better graphic programs and I can't add a better video card to it.

The FMS free download and $25 Esky controller was way cheaper, and I'm so glad I did it. The free SC sim model from Jasmine flies about the same as my SC, and the sim practice has been major help in learning to fly the SC. Hundreds of SC flights with this cheap sim made the first dozen SC flights way better (Keep in mind nothing will prevent newbie crashes ). My SC is now doing most of the teaching.

I suppose when you get skilled enough for pattern flying and 3D, a top of the line sim will replicate plane performance much more accurately for practicing complicated flying.

Icky
Ickarusmelt is offline Find More Posts by Ickarusmelt
Old May 04, 2008, 07:01 PM
Joined Nov 2005
3,433 Posts
I have RF and frankly, I should sell it. CV does all that I need. FOr newbies, FMS and CV is about all that is required.
Old May 04, 2008, 07:28 PM
100% addicted to RC :)
USA, CA, La Verne
Joined Feb 2008
1,695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPFlyer
I have RF and frankly, I should sell it. CV does all that I need. FOr newbies, FMS and CV is about all that is required.
I may be interested in buying it...shoot me a PM if you serious about selling.
finchkid24 is offline Find More Posts by finchkid24