HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 26, 2008, 06:53 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,913 Posts
Discussion
No wake - Real Flight

I don't get a wake on any seaplane in Real Flight 4. I have Water Quality set to Highest, and Water Particle Quality set to High. I have pretty good computer and a NVidia GeForce 8800 GTS video card. Any ideas, thanks.
No Step is online now Find More Posts by No Step
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Please visit my Hangar,.....
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 26, 2008, 10:15 PM View Post
archiebald
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Over-competition). It is temporarily hidden while archiebald edits it. Show it to me anyway.
Old May 11, 2008, 08:48 PM
Kamikaze Heli Pilot
Japan
Joined Jul 2005
466 Posts
Apparently someone objected to the fact that I recommend the solving of the problem above would be to buy a different simulator that also models water extremely well.

It seems they believe I am somehow connected commercially to Run Time Games who are the producers of the offensive simulator. I would have preferred to have responded to the mods through the PM system but it seems to be impossible when a post has been reported.
archiebald is offline Find More Posts by archiebald
Old Nov 18, 2008, 03:05 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,913 Posts
Update,.. to anyone with a similar problem, I figured it out. I updated my video card driver and that solved the problem.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2008, 03:37 PM
Sadorus, IL
Joined Mar 2004
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
Update,.. to anyone with a similar problem, I figured it out. I updated my video card driver and that solved the problem.
You may also wish to download the G4.5 upgrade. It does an even nicer job of rendering water...even includes water sound effects now!

Steve
Skaluf is offline Find More Posts by Skaluf
Site Sponsor
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:14 PM
UK
Joined Oct 2003
3,821 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Step
LOL - your original post was dated 27th March, - 8 months resolving a problem, that's dedication
Malc C is offline Find More Posts by Malc C
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:36 PM
Crash=change of flying medium
Boulder, CO
Joined May 2002
1,355 Posts
IMO, modeling wake is a total waste of computer resources. What's next, rendering the lake bottom through the disturbed water???
RealFlight is a "flight" simulator, not a "swim" one.

I noticed in RealFlight G4.5 (not sure if it was there in G4) that if you enable wind in 3D fields, leaves on the trees start shaking. Another useless "eye candy"!

RealFlight isn't the only simulator, which caters to computer gamers. The over-hyped PhoenixRC has rather primitive wake too. They even went as far as showing the fuel in fuel tanks of glow helies. Though, this might actually be useful...
bluesky123 is online now Find More Posts by bluesky123
Old Nov 18, 2008, 05:50 PM
My Hangar is full
Everett, Washington
Joined May 2003
3,913 Posts
Haha, yeah,.. I don't fly the sim very often, and when I do I rarely fly off water. That's why the long time to resolve the "problem".

I updated my driver prior to attempt downloading 4.5. When I did the wake problem resolved itself. It took three tries downloading 4.5 to make it work. First two downloads were corrupted somehow. The third try worked perfect. I've been playing with it for hours. Very fun!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 18, 2008, 08:11 PM
Kamikaze Heli Pilot
Japan
Joined Jul 2005
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky123
RealFlight isn't the only simulator, which caters to computer gamers. The over-hyped PhoenixRC has rather primitive wake too. They even went as far as showing the fuel in fuel tanks of glow helies. Though, this might actually be useful...
I think you'll find that the fuel in the tanks never changes, it is just part of the bitmap image used to map the model. Must have been that way when they photographed them.
archiebald is offline Find More Posts by archiebald
Old Nov 19, 2008, 07:23 AM
Joined Dec 2006
104 Posts
Actually the wake in Phoenix is not that "primitive" on highest settings - it actually deforms the surface of the water with 3-d ripples. The sprites are for lower quality settings...
Stan Peterson is offline Find More Posts by Stan Peterson