Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 09, 2007, 10:18 AM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Discussion
First 40 size warbird Kyosho Bf109

I just got my first size 40 plane. I have been flying electric park flyers for awhile (mostly warbirds) and got a Kyosho Messerschmitt Bf109 as a retirement gift. I plan on putting the Evolution evo100 (Same engine Hanger 9 puts in the Mustang PTS) as it seems to be a good first glow engine. I really want to put a 4 stroke Saito .56 in her, but that will have to wait. I will also install retracts. Seems to be a pretty straight forward build. I don't know what to think about having enough room in the plane to actually work. 1/8th scale is sure a lot more roomy than 1/12th, so plane will end up being just a little ( ) bigger than my others, and I look forward to getting her together and in the air.

First thing I plan on doing is airbushing the violet ( what were they thinking?)they used with a light gray. All planes need a pilot and this Augsburg Eagle will have an Aces of Iron Luftwaffe #3 in the cockpit.
Any suggestions to help with the build?
KentuckyColonel is offline Find More Posts by KentuckyColonel
Last edited by KentuckyColonel; Jul 28, 2007 at 10:56 PM. Reason: Add content
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 09, 2007, 11:13 AM
Murrieta, CA.
Joined Apr 2007
21 Posts
Hey Kentucky....I just finished my Kyosho Spitfire with retracts. Very well built ARF.
Maiden flight will be this weekend. Engine I'm using is the OS 52FX 4 stroke. I did break the engine in last weekend and she was flawless, but then what do you expect?? It's an OS!! This engine is the one I would recommend for your ME109 as well.

Back to the retracts, do not follow there recommendation in regards on how they recommend you should bend the push rods. It didn't work for me and the retract servo binded. If you like I'll send you a pic on how I bent the push rod to make the retracts work.

Next new project I'm currently working on is the VQ BF109 "Emil", another fanatastic ARF.
See RCgroups.com under fueled warbirds section, I posted a build thread for the BF109 emil.

Good luck.....
warbirdrcflyer is offline Find More Posts by warbirdrcflyer
Old Apr 13, 2007, 03:00 PM
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
Joined Dec 2005
7,821 Posts
I also have the Kyosho ME-109 and do have a Saito .56 for it. Like warbirdrcflyer, I am building a larger ME-109, but not the VQ.
The difference in size between the Kyosho and VQ isnt that much aka Kyosho is 56" ws and the VQ is 60.5. I've got the KMP ME-109E(72.5" wingspan) that is 12" wider wingspan then the VQ...basically a 140 size plane compared to VQ as a small .60 size(technically it would be considered a .50 size). Its a nice looking plane for sure, I just wanted something a little bigger and more scale.
If I had the time, I'd do a Dave Platt or a Meister Me-109, but the KMP is real nice and save me a lot of time.
kahloq is offline Find More Posts by kahloq
Old Apr 13, 2007, 04:40 PM
N.J.
Joined Jul 2006
33 Posts
I`m using a OS.61FX with a pitts.
I removed some of the covering(the green) lightly sanded and repainted the whole plane.
I used a airbrush to paint the 109.

As for the Retracts in this 109,I used Great Planes .60 size retracts.
And they work great. All you have to do is, take the retract apart and move the little pushrod inside to face the other-way.
Before putting the 2-halfs back together, add a 1/8 thin shim in front of the pushrod to stop it travel(pushrod moves too far when installed the other way).
They work great+smooth and you only need to use a 4"-5" pushrod between the retract and the servo.
bigdaddy is offline Find More Posts by bigdaddy
Last edited by bigdaddy; Apr 14, 2007 at 01:41 PM.
Old Apr 18, 2007, 12:49 AM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Just got my robart 85degree mechanical retracts yesterday and will start on the wings tomorrow. I'm thinking that a little dull coat and the violet will look better We'll see. I will use Hitec HS-325HB standard servos for the ailerons and other control surfaces and a Hitec HS-75BB Retract servo for..well...the retracts. Should be an interesting build. This thing is just a bit bigger than the Kyosho P-51 park flyer and others I am used to.
Last edited by KentuckyColonel; Apr 20, 2007 at 06:23 PM. Reason: spellcheck
Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:30 PM
Joined Apr 2007
4 Posts
I fly the 40 size worlds model warbirds with 110 Y.S's and they fly nice and handle the power. We clocked them at 140 mph and fly ten at the same time...its amazing we dont hit eachother.
mrsniper is offline Find More Posts by mrsniper
Old Apr 28, 2007, 01:25 AM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Got started this evening. Wings are done, but decided against retracts this time. Actually, I was sitting there trying to figure it out and when I couldn't, I decided it would be best to just go with fixed gear for now.

Should get it done tomorrow, I hope.
Last edited by KentuckyColonel; Apr 28, 2007 at 06:02 PM. Reason: additional comment
Old May 11, 2007, 07:06 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Motor mounted. I elected to mount it upright as I have been told by several others that 2 strokes don't like to be mounted upside down. Bad part about doing this is the hole I'll have to cut into the top of the cowl. This is taking longer than I had wanted. My daughter went back to work and my wife volunteered to keep an eye on the Grandkids. Which = me helping to watch and entertain them
Old May 12, 2007, 09:45 PM
USA, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2005
985 Posts
Before you give up on the retracts see my build thread. This is my first glow powered plane also.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...osho+109+build

Retracts were very easy with a $5 craft store circle cutter and the linkage was spot-on perfect the first time installed them. Just use thread-locker on the retract wire's set screw and crank them down.

Much of the enjoyment of flying a warbird is watching the retracts function. Or maybe thats just me...
patrick181 is offline Find More Posts by patrick181
Last edited by patrick181; May 12, 2007 at 09:52 PM.
Old May 13, 2007, 12:17 AM
Keep building, buying,fly
Suffolk, In the UK
Joined May 2004
2,608 Posts
Two strokes are fine mounted upside down or better horizontal with it upside down it will run fine just starting is sometimes a problem.... You can always start your plane upsidedown on a stand

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Bigplumbs is offline Find More Posts by Bigplumbs
Old May 13, 2007, 04:16 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigplumbs
Two strokes are fine mounted upside down or better horizontal with it upside down it will run fine just starting is sometimes a problem.... You can always start your plane upsidedown on a stand

Dennis

www.densplanes.co.uk
Well, I might just remount it then. I sure was not looking forward to cutting a big ol hole in the top of the cowling.
Old May 14, 2007, 02:50 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Does anyone have any idea where I can get a 1/8 scale cockpit for the Bf 109E?
Old May 15, 2007, 04:03 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Or....a direct down view of the cockpit?
Old May 19, 2007, 06:15 PM
Mission Viejo, CA
Joined Dec 2005
1,925 Posts
Okay, I hit a snag. I am attempting to fit the supplied fuel tank into the plane, but it doesn't fit in the area indicated in the instructions. It is too long. Also it calls for two pieces of wood to secure it into the area, but it will still seem, to my untrained eye anyway, that it would still not be held in place during any kind of flight manuver. Any Help??? PLEASE???
Old May 20, 2007, 02:31 PM
hardhats required
ks, usa
Joined Feb 2004
438 Posts
Find some fuel proof foam and line the fuel tank area with it. Make it snug enough to hold tank.

See ya,
Rod
rchotrod is offline Find More Posts by rchotrod