HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 24, 2014, 11:49 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,408 Posts
Build Log
DB Sport & Scale Piper Cherokee

I was pointed toward this gem when I was searching for a true-to-scale Cherokee in the .40-size range and was getting rather disappointed with what I was finding. So many Cherokee kits and ARFs, but so few actually follow the Cherokee's scale lines. There is no true-to-scale Cherokee in this size range!

Except this one.

Oscar Smith's DB Sport & Scale Cherokee

PA-28 Cherokee
1/6 scale
56" wing
4.5-5.5lbs advertised weight

Power will come from either a Saito FA40A or a Magnum .52, a decision I will make later down the road, but already leaning toward the FA40A since it'll fit entirely in the cowl.

This kit comes from DB Sport & Scale out of Pembrokeshire, and came half-way around the world to land on my doorstep. Possibly the only one in the US! A modest 135 kit, it cost me over $300 to get it here! But I was willing to take the plunge, and I'm very glad I did!

So this will be a very slow build. This is the biggest plane I've ever built from a kit and the 2nd kit I've built in 15 years, the first being a Herr Cherokee over in the 1/2A section.

The first thing I noticed was how amazingly-well engineered this airplane is. Everything's laser-cut, to the point that the pieces literally drop out of their trees. The wing is built in 3 pieces, is all interlocking and self-jigging. The whole structure is sheeted, and the nose and cowl sheeting come pre-shaped. Vert and horr stab are airfoiled and built up. Extensive hardware was in the box, including the engine mount, wheels, hinges and spinner. Will still need a fuel tank.

Studying the plan, I'm somewhat daunted by this endeavour, but I'm very much looking forward to it at the same time.

Some pictures, freshly unboxed.

More to come!

My first step will be to have the plans copied so I can cut the copies into smaller portions. The rolled plans are larger than my building surface!
Rampage is offline Find More Posts by Rampage
Last edited by Rampage; Apr 25, 2014 at 02:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2014, 12:15 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,252 Posts
now there's another thread I hafta keep an eye on!
whiskykid is offline Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Apr 26, 2014, 02:47 AM
United States, CA, Half Moon Bay
Joined Apr 2014
184 Posts
I'm in too! Looks like a great kit.
Aryana is offline Find More Posts by Aryana
Old Apr 26, 2014, 03:06 AM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,408 Posts
Got started tonight. Kind of.

The instructions (No pictures, but well-written. In Queen's English. Which makes it...interesting....for an uncultured American like me. ) state that the wing is built free-hand. It's self-jigging and does not require pinning or being built over the plans, but the plans should be kept handy for reference.

I took this literally. I taped the plans to the wall.

And then proceeded to start building a wing.

Well, 2 wings..

The wing is built in 3 parts. Port, starboard, and a center section. When all is said and done, it's all put together as one wing. As the instructions said, everything press-fits together perfectly. It reminded me of one of those plywood dinosaur skeletons you can buy from the museum and build. Except the parts fit was much, much better than any of those!

As it sits now, the wings are press-fit together. Not a drop of glue has been added yet, because I'm not sure if I want to use CA or the recommended water-based white glue. I'm honestly not sure I have the patience to use water-based white glue.

The kit does require a bit of trimming of parts. The sub-trailing edge where the ailerons are hinged to will require trimming and sanding to fit flush with the ribs for sheeting, as will the sub-leading edge. The leading edges themselves are balsa blocks that will require shaping.

Shaping and sheeting are two things I've very, very little experience with and will be used quite a bit in this model.

Tho I'm planning on cheating a bit and seeing if the LHS has any leading edge stock that'll work... Just because I honestly don't trust my own carving abilities.

If I do use white glue, I'll probably use it in the sheeting process. I'm being honest when I say that has be worried. I'll likely be calling upon you guys for tips when I get there!
Old Apr 30, 2014, 01:25 PM
Expert in sawdust production
United States, OK, Oklahoma City
Joined Aug 2007
917 Posts
Rampage what did this kit set you back with shipping? Oops! I found it in post # 1. I must be going blind in my old age. This looks like a great kit, I'm surprised to see it includes wheels and spinner in addition to the engine mount and hardware.

You will find shaping a leading edge isn't bad with one of these. I round over the front edge then use a straight bar sander (the longer the better) to finish the final shape. I carved a Hornier wingtip for the first time and was surprised how easy it is to carve balsa. I'm no master builder either just the run of the mill wood butcher!

http://www.greatplanes.com/accys/gpmr6190.html
flyerinokc is online now Find More Posts by flyerinokc
Last edited by flyerinokc; Apr 30, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old Apr 30, 2014, 02:15 PM
Scale Builder
United States, AZ, Litchfield Park
Joined Jul 2002
2,465 Posts
Watching with interest Rampage. The kit looks to be very nicely engineered with high quality components as well. Quite refreshing!
Chad Veich is offline Find More Posts by Chad Veich
Old May 01, 2014, 05:10 AM
Joined Jun 2007
412 Posts
Count me in as an interested watcher!
rupert the bear is offline Find More Posts by rupert the bear
Old May 01, 2014, 06:39 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,130 Posts
I'll watch also..........got my PP ticket in a series of Cherokees - gotta love 'em!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Muffler problems
Old May 05, 2014, 03:13 AM
United States, CA, Half Moon Bay
Joined Apr 2014
184 Posts
In for this build!
Aryana is offline Find More Posts by Aryana
Old May 05, 2014, 12:30 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,408 Posts
Sorry about the slow progress! Been busy the last couple weekends and I just haven't had it in me after work. I'll make some progress very soon!
Old May 05, 2014, 12:59 PM
Joined Aug 2007
917 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
Sorry about the slow progress! Been busy the last couple weekends and I just haven't had it in me after work. I'll make some progress very soon!
I resemble this comment!
Old May 05, 2014, 07:07 PM
United States, NY, Ithaca
Joined Sep 2007
878 Posts
Thanks for doing a thread on this. I've been keeping the DB website handy for years but haven't taken the plunge myself. Great to hear about the quality.

I have traveled to England a couple of times many years ago, and I'm thinking if I do again I'll see if I can have a kit delivered to wherever I'm staying. I'd also like to pick up a Warbird Replicas kit. Website is here: http://www.warbirdreplicas.co.uk/

Jim
buzzard bait is online now Find More Posts by buzzard bait
Old May 06, 2014, 07:49 AM
Joined Aug 2007
917 Posts
The Brits have some great models over there and even though the shipping is pricy the kits are worth it.
Old May 08, 2014, 10:28 PM
What tree?
Yucca Valley, California
Joined Aug 2005
2,408 Posts
So I got to building finally and quickly realized why the manual recommends PVA glue instead of CA.

The parts fit is so exact and so tight that I literally couldn't get the ribs into place before the CA bonded...

So I'll be getting some of this and continuing when it arrives.

Build and learn, right?
Old May 09, 2014, 08:31 AM
Joined Aug 2007
917 Posts
I have some of Deluxe's Super Phatic! but I haven't tried this one. Please let us know how you like it.