HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 21, 2013, 09:09 AM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
Discussion
DS in South Africa

Hi all,
Here on the East Coast in sunny Durban, when the wind gets up and blows properly, and as we don't have any easily accessible DS Slopes, we do our own type of DS flying. This controline type of horizontal DS flying, uses the rotor caused by the vertical face of the slope, and turning back into wind in a circuit about 100 meters or 120 yards in diameter. Have a look at this video, taken during an rapidly advancing thunder storm. The plane is a locally produced hollow moulded wing and elevator Toko, ex Hotliner, and weighed 4lbs, a bit light for the wind that was blowing. The sudden arrival at the end caused the wind to break free of the fuselage and it has been repaired and is ready to go again. Turn up the sound and enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...51701921612202
RUSS CONRADT is offline Find More Posts by RUSS CONRADT
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2013, 11:20 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
738 Posts
Hello Russ

I am a South African living in UK and Love DS

I know Durban well but have never flown there, but the must be some good sites in the mountains. Just may need a good walk.

Just wanted to let you know the link isn't available to everybody.

Cheers

William
wdeighton is online now Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Dec 21, 2013, 01:16 PM
Gaftopher
Nottingham Road South Africa/Bedford UK
Joined Feb 2007
3,777 Posts
Hi both, I am inland a bit near Nottingham Road and have always wondered if the Kamberg would not be perfect for DS. No track up it though so that's a snag.

Its said to be only 2m wide at the top, very often a lenticular cloud forms downwind of it.
Gary Mortimer is offline Find More Posts by Gary Mortimer
Old Dec 21, 2013, 02:27 PM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
Russ and his Toko (2 min 38 sec)

Maybe that will work, or just go to Youtube and type in "Russ and his Toko",
Gary, we do have some slopes that will work, drama is we need to leave our cars out of sight, and that opens them up for the locals to break into.
The search continues for a great DS site as our version is hard on airframes.
Regards
Russ
Old Dec 21, 2013, 06:45 PM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
738 Posts
Ahh yes

i saw that video on fb a couple of weeks ago.
Loved the Coke bottle over the edge.

Need to get a mate to drop you off, and pick you up later.
Old Dec 21, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
The real DS site is two miles behind that Ziggynanda site, that is the risky place to leave our vehicles. William, where did you live in Durban and did you do any flying while you were here. Gary, where is that picture taken? Is it near Nottingham Road, if so we might be tempted to climb it and fly it!
Russ
Old Dec 22, 2013, 01:17 AM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,777 Posts
Its just up the road from Rosetta in the Kamberg valley you can see it well in Google earth if you have 3D turned on. Its bob on for the Berg winds we get in August. Not sure Durban types can survive up here then ;-)
Old Dec 22, 2013, 03:38 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
738 Posts
I lived in Jo'berg

sloped on linksfield ridge, but never dsed it.
Went back there 5 years ago and the trees where quite a bit bigger. I think there would be alot of power there, but serious saftey concerns as there is alot of houses on the ridge as well as at the base.

I also think you could ds in the magaliesberg just tooling on the map again it would be predominantly n / s but as the ridge is very long, and shapely there are some bowls that could take some variations.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 12:26 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,022 Posts
My wife comes from PE. She has always thought there would be good sites back home. She certainly stressed how it was always windy!!

I know SA has 400+ capability
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 22, 2013, 03:14 PM
Gaftopher
Joined Feb 2007
3,777 Posts
I took the 80s 125 for a spin around the Kamberg, I have no real idea of what's required but its jolly steep on two sides.
Old Dec 22, 2013, 07:27 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,678 Posts
That's impressive. The hill where I fly has similar topography -- flat top with abrupt edge to a steep slope -- and I can do the same type of DS, albeit not at the impressive speed you can.
Sorry to read you have the same problems we do in regard to leaving vehicles. I wouldn't have thought this was an issue in the Durban area.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Dec 23, 2013, 02:47 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
My wife comes from PE. She has always thought there would be good sites back home. She certainly stressed how it was always windy!!

I know SA has 400+ capability
PE is know as the Windy City of south africa. I would go wind surfing there for a week before heading off to Knysna.
Also some of the Friendliest South Africans I have met.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 07:08 AM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
I will definitely look at coming up to fly that Kamberg mountain, sadly one cannot leave a vehicle in the middle of a rural township where the people are on the lookout for easy pickings, you are right about PE, the wind does blow there and the PE Slope soarers have a blast at Maitlands. They also venture up to Lady Slipper which could be a serious DS site.
Our local ridge will be good when the wind reaches 40 km/h plus and we have half a dozen pilots commit to going with. Or we'll chip in a take a local Taxi!

I hope that everyone and their families have a Merry Xmas, may the roots of your Christmas Trees be scattered with FFS (fast flying stuff) and 2014 brings you all joy, happiness and many hours on your favourite site,
Kind regards
Russ
Old Dec 23, 2013, 11:03 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,022 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeighton View Post
PE is know as the Windy City of south africa. I would go wind surfing there for a week before heading off to Knysna.
Also some of the Friendliest South Africans I have met.
Then you will know the small township of Seaview..

That's where she grew up, just down from where I see a few slope videos recently:
Maitlands Correx Fun (4 min 20 sec)
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ALEX HEWSON; Dec 23, 2013 at 12:05 PM.
Old Dec 24, 2013, 12:55 AM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
I had the pleasure of flying Maitlands in 1989, 5 of us motored down from Durban for the Slope Nationals, the wind only blew on the last day. We flew at the top of the hill, but I am told that the Parks Board controlled that area and stopped all flying up there, great pity. Pete Smit, who was an antique dealer in Durban, had suffered from polio as a kid and wore a leg brace, I can remember holding him upright while he flew a Chris Foss Middle Phase in the biggest wind we had ever experienced, man that plane ate up the sky that day.