Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 01, 2013, 12:56 PM
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts
Discussion
help building Line Follower Hovercraft

Hi..
i am new here n also building such project for first tym
i want to build a line follower hovercraft.
i need help in
design,hardware components,microcontroller,software,algorithms and every other thing needed.

plzz help me guys.

thnks
msj003 is offline Find More Posts by msj003
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2013, 02:06 PM
United States, OH, Strongsville
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
Lots of line following examples on the internet to google, but they are all wheeled vehicles.
I just wanted to comment on the choice of a hovercraft for this project. These do not turn on a dime, and the line does. I suspect you will have great difficulty with losing the line
Vince Herman is online now Find More Posts by Vince Herman
Old Nov 01, 2013, 02:24 PM
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts
Yh..control will b a lot difficult then wheeled ones..

M looking to put two fans on both sides to propel as well as steer by changing speed of fans.
Old Nov 02, 2013, 06:27 AM
MHA webmaster
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Mar 2011
203 Posts
the challenge will be that when the craft goes off the line (and it will, especially at corners) having an intelligent enough algorithm to allow the craft to find its way back (and be adaptable for different surfaces and other factors like wind (outdoors) or obstacles that change the handling). I think it will be very difficult with a standard small controller like Arduino. I would probably go for a gps controlled craft with pre-programmed route myself (though obviosuly limited to outdoor use).
jpcwebb is offline Find More Posts by jpcwebb
Old Nov 03, 2013, 06:29 AM
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts
I think m gonna stick with some simpler controller like arduino....
Old Nov 06, 2013, 10:35 AM
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
Steering configuration is not the issue.

If you are following a line and you detect that the line is moving to the right, you turn right.
With a wheeled line follower, that is usually enough to keep the line within the detectors range.
But with a hovercraft, turning right means start rotating. This slowly results in moving in the direction of the turn. It is very likely that the vehicle will move far enough off the line that the line will be outside of the detectors range.
Even if you rotate 90 degrees, you will only gradually move off the direction you were traveling before.
Old Nov 06, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Nov 2000
2,696 Posts
To show what I mean, here is a video from another post showing a hovercraft in operation. Note the delay between rotating and change in direction.
Scratchbuilt rc hovercraft test run (0 min 27 sec)
Old Nov 30, 2013, 09:45 PM
Joined Nov 2013
6 Posts
Size of motor.??

What should be the size of motor for lifting the hovercraft of almost similar size as in above video....?????/