HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 13, 2013, 07:24 AM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,491 Posts
Discussion
Sequencing Air-retracts and Servo Gear doors?

Hi,
I have air-retracts on my jet controlled by an Airpower controller. I would like to set the gear doors up with servos and not add additional air tank/lines etc. So I was wondering if I could use the sequencer to trip the channel for the air retracts then a channel for the gear door servos and revers that for the gear retraction. I would like to use the gear switch to activate the sequence. I have no experience with the sequencer at all.
Is this feasible? Examples?
Thank, Chris
Downwind3Zero is offline Find More Posts by Downwind3Zero
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2013, 08:23 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,047 Posts
This is exactly what the sequencer is for . look at the video second half and you can see how the gear and door interact on the sequencer

Sequenzer - Beispiele für Jeti DC-16 und Ds-16 Sender (1 min 43 sec)
Puttputtmaru is offline Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru
Old Oct 13, 2013, 09:11 AM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,491 Posts
I'll have to look at this a little closer - appears to be exactly what I am looking for.
Thanks! Chris
Old Oct 13, 2013, 03:11 PM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,848 Posts
I'm planning on doing something similar on the Brian Taylor P47 which I am building. It will have separate servos for the two main gear retracts, one servo for the inner doors and another for the retractable tailwheel. To save receiver channels, the tailwheel will probably be Y - leaded off one of the three main gear channels, and I am hoping to work the tailwheel doors mechanically to avoid the need for another servo. I'll post here when I get to the point of setting up the sequencer.
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:08 PM
Michael
United States, ME, Wells
Joined May 2008
1,049 Posts
I Diagram My Situation

Prior to going the Jeti route, I had a Spektrum DX-18 with a similar sequencer capability. IIRC, a major difference between the two radio systems is that, with the -18, one can shift the time points left or right. With the Jeti approach, you can insert or delete points, but not "time shift" previously created time points.

So, what I do is draw a diagram showing the desired timeline, sequence of events, dependencies, and the time to complete the different event tasks.

Once I have that drawn on paper, then I go into the sequencer menu system and start building the time line...

I am sure that there must be a better way, but that seems to have worked for me. The few times I took shortcuts with the initial diagram, I wound up standing on my head to fit everything the way it was needed.

The advantage of the time-shift approach is that one can tweak/fine tune the timing of events to match what the equipment is actually doing. It would be nice if Jeti could incorporate this approach or, more likely, one of the more experienced Jeti users will show me a simpler, better way; that's how I learn...

Michael
Quote:
Originally Posted by Downwind3Zero View Post
I'll have to look at this a little closer - appears to be exactly what I am looking for.
Thanks! Chris
Snowflake6515 is offline Find More Posts by Snowflake6515
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:58 PM
It's like an addiction!
NY, Rochester
Joined Oct 2003
1,491 Posts
Been playing around with it. I understand it but it's not exactly intuitive to say the least and it does take some tweaking. I think your suggestion of time shift makes sense!
Chris
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,047 Posts
The one draw back of the sequencer is the amount of servos slots it requires when you have a complex landing system. One slot for every doors and legs if they have to work independently. It is easy to run out, a friend on his jet needed 9 different slots so he had to go with a separate sequencer

With the possible expansion of the Jeti Tx to, I think, 24 slots this will be better
Puttputtmaru is offline Find More Posts by Puttputtmaru
Old Oct 22, 2013, 03:36 AM
Hampshire, U.K.
Joined Jun 2008
1,848 Posts
Okay, I've had my first play with the sequencer. As others have already pointed out, it takes a while to get one's head round the process for setting and adjusting the points in the sequence but it does seem to work as advertised. The following video shows my first cut at the gear on my Brian Taylor P47 - just a feasibility test and check on the retract angles really. The servo balanced on the top of the wing will drive the inner gear doors.

I did the initial setup with three servos sitting on the bench and at first, the timing didn't seem to be quite as programmed. Then I found that of the three sequences (gear left, gear right, doors) one of them had the triggering switch operating in the opposite sense so, in essence, one of the sequences was running backwards. Just one of many ways to get the setup wrong.

Trevor

P47 Retract Test (0 min 40 sec)
Trevorh is online now Find More Posts by Trevorh