HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:24 PM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Question
Which "quiet" server power supply to put in series?

So I read quite a bit of several of the threads on server power supplies but was left with a question. I'm looking for a power supply with relative low acoustic noise that can be put in series to offer 24V in the 40+ Amp range.

At some period of time the Compaq HP ESP114 Series 12V 55A Power Supply was popular and recommended as being relatively quiet (compared to others) with the downside of it being large. Is it still a good choice if size isn't a concern but noise is? I would plan to put two of them in series. I saw that the DC output of the ESP114 can be floated so series use is okay. Are there more recently "discovered" supplies that are easier to work with (use normal power plugs, etc) that are equally quiet that I should focus on instead?
Stereodude is offline Find More Posts by Stereodude
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:41 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,703 Posts
DPS-500. 41 amps and floating the high side supply is as simple as cutting two straps.
Fan is rather quiet with no/low load but when you get it around 30 amps the fans turn faster as needed.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 07, 2013, 01:15 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
I just converted two of the DPS-600PB supplies.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581061
By grounding pin #4, the fan is barely audible. It will ramp up when pushed hard. These are very easy to convert and lifting the DC ground is as easy as snipping a couple wires and removing a mounting screw and inserting a small piece of insulator.
In series it is 24.5V, 47A.
still4given is offline Find More Posts by still4given
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:05 AM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by still4given View Post
I just converted two of the DPS-600PB supplies.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581061
By grounding pin #4, the fan is barely audible. It will ramp up when pushed hard. These are very easy to convert and lifting the DC ground is as easy as snipping a couple wires and removing a mounting screw and inserting a small piece of insulator.
In series it is 24.5V, 47A.
Thanks for the replies guys!

I thought I read several times in the various threads that only the PS-3601-1C version of the ESP135 was quieter with a temperature controlled fan. The DPS-600PB version was noisy with people trying to slow the fan down with resistors while not overheating the supply.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:27 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
Thanks for the replies guys!

I thought I read several times in the various threads that only the PS-3601-1C version of the ESP135 was quieter with a temperature controlled fan. The DPS-600PB version was noisy with people trying to slow the fan down with resistors while not overheating the supply.
Dude,
Check out solid hobbies supplies. They incorporate everything you want and more. I built a 24 volt supply from the 600s and simply bought new fans. Today I'd buy solids ready built.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:44 AM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Just to be clear, the Solid Hobbies supplies are made from the DPS-600PB. Once pin 4 is grounded, the fan is very quiet when running at low amperage. Even at fairly high current draw, it is still quieter than my PL8. I'm not sure exactly what the OP is meaning by "quiet", but my DPS-600PB based PS is a lot quieter than my previous power supplies.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:46 AM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,467 Posts
Quote:
Just to be clear, the Solid Hobbies supplies are made from the DPS-600PB. Once pin 4 is grounded, the fan is very quiet when running at low amperage. Even at fairly high current draw, it is still quieter than my PL8. I'm not sure exactly what the OP is meaning by "quiet", but my DPS-600PB based PS is a lot quieter than my previous power supplies.
All true-just wanted to give the guy a great ready built.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Feb 07, 2013, 12:15 PM
Joined Jan 2013
34 Posts
Quote:
I'm not sure exactly what the OP is meaning by "quiet", but my DPS-600PB based PS is a lot quieter than my previous power supplies.
I don't want the power supply to scream like a 1U server with multiple 7000 RPM 40mm fans. Obviously I don't expect it to be whisper quiet.

It sounds (no pun intended) like the DPS-600PB will be fine if I ground pin 4.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 02:32 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
OK, I found the video that Jeremy made showing how quiet the DPS-600PB gets by grounding pin #4. His main goal in the video was to show that the fan will still speed up if the unit gets hot so it is safe to do the mod. But you can sort of tell just how quiet it runs. He is even running it at 50A and it is still quiet.

DPS-600PB pin4 fan mod = safe (4 min 15 sec)
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:33 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,246 Posts
You gotta remember these things are designed to keep cool in environments where noise does not matter.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:50 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
I am testing my setup right now. I run two DSP-600PB's in series. That gives me 25.7V at 47A. I have hooked up two 6S 6000mAh packs so I can run the PL8 at 40A, 25V output, about 1000W. This has the power supply pulling about 12A from the household outlet which is holding right at 122V at the present. The PL8 is drawing 25.7V @ 45.5A from the PS. At this power, the PL8 is noticeably louder than the two DPS-600PB's. I am attaching some pics that I took while testing.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:40 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,703 Posts
IMO, anything over 20A should have fans running at max speed. There is a LOT of heat generated inside those things that needs to get out or they will self destruct or, if lucky, thermal out.

Rick
rampman is offline Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:03 PM
Sky Pilot
Victorville, CA
Joined Jun 2006
1,114 Posts
Hi rampman,
The fans ramp up,(pardon the pun), as the amps rise. The air coming out of the exhaust on the PS is only warm at the amps I posted above. I believe the fans on these power supplies run higher in stock form because they are designed to be mounted in an additional case and then those cases mounted in racks with many other servers, all producing heat. Mine got only slightly warm to the touch and that was running at 25.7V, 45.5A, almost the rated limit. I haven't personally heard a quieter power supply when it's fan was running than these DSP-600PBs.