HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:59 PM
Crashin RC planes since 2012
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2012
33 Posts
Discussion
Make Brushed RC truck SLOWER

I know this it a strange request, but i want too make an RC car or truck go slower.

Id like to get my 4 year old son a half decent rc monster truck (brushed motor is fine) so he can hack around outside with myself and his older brother.

It needs to be 2.4ghz as he has a nasty habit of breaking long aerials, I would like to get something with the potential to do like 30 or 40kph when hes ready, but in the mean time i want to be able to limit the top speed to save on breakages. i was thinking of something like the hpi mini recon or similar

Are there any brushed ESC's available that will do what i want or is there something i can do to limit the amount of current available to the motor and perhaps extend the battery life in the process?
FlyinKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FlyinKiwi
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 04:05 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Apr 2011
44 Posts
You can use a lower voltage battery pack, up to around 6.0 volts is perfectly fine, less up to 4.8 volts could work if the receiver and servos don't mind the low voltage. You could also install a higher turn brushed motor, the good thing about this option is that you could leave the gearing as is and get tons of torque for off road. There's also the route of going with a transmitter with adjustable endpoints and reduce the endpoints for forward and reverse. These are usually on computerized radios, and the most expensive option since a used computer trigger radio could set you back at least $40, while the other 2 are about $20 each. (Estimates were in USD)
Laz59 is offline Find More Posts by Laz59
Old Oct 24, 2012, 08:57 PM
Crashasaurus Dumbthumus
USA, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Dec 2008
1,498 Posts
Traxxas vehicles have a 'training mode' which really slows down the truck. I do this with my brushed 2wd Slash for my nieces (5 y/o) and they have fun. No way they can break anything going that slow.
road_rascal is offline Find More Posts by road_rascal
Old Oct 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
SoCal, California
Joined Feb 2009
105 Posts
The easiest and cheapest way is to simply tape a popsicle stick, rubber tubing or something similar under the trigger on the transmitter.
PMDRACER is offline Find More Posts by PMDRACER
Old Oct 24, 2012, 11:25 PM
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Apr 2011
44 Posts
I didn't notice you were looking for something completely new. In that case, you should look at the Traxxas Stampede, it's easily one of the cheapest RTR trucks you could get, at roughly US$230 and as mentioned by road_rascal, their ESC's have a training mode to have the car go pretty slow. To get an RTR with a 2.4ghz system though, you need to go to a higher price range, but there are cheap systems like the FlySky stuff. Traxxas has a lot of truck-like vehicles too, so if you want something more expensive, you can go for something like an E-Revo, etc.
Laz59 is offline Find More Posts by Laz59
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:40 AM
Crashin RC planes since 2012
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Oct 2012
33 Posts
Thanks for all the replies guys, i especially liked the popsicle stick idea!! I think i'll start looking around for a stampede or slash. maybe even just the esc out of one to put in a cheaper generic brand car
FlyinKiwi is offline Find More Posts by FlyinKiwi