Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:30 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Beef-ing up the crane on my tug boat

I had two old parts that came off the inside of my tug boat when i was doing the smoke unit, so i added the parts to my crane and made some small mods as seen in the photo's below. The crane looks a little bigger now.
rolex0071 is offline Find More Posts by rolex0071
Last edited by rolex0071; Mar 15, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:43 PM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
877 Posts
Rolex Promised you pic's of direct drive setup ages ago, well here they are.
Boat has 2 buehlar (SPELLING) motors, SS shafts, metal shaft logs, Dimension Engineering ESC (Dual), operating tow winch, 3S 4,000mah battery, Prop Shop props. Working on lights and paint change(Cannot stand the Mustard Yellow).
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:27 PM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex0071 View Post
I had two old parts that came off the inside of my tug boat when i was doing the smoke unit, so i added the parts to my crane and made some small mods as seen in the photo's below. The crane looks a little bigger now.
Great photos there! Crane looks very well used for sure. Weathering my vessel will likely come last as I don't want to risk over weathering some parts and not enough of others.

I like the added spot lamp on the arm. Did you add the hydraulic hoses or do they come with the crane? I forget. I was hoping my tug accessories would show today, but no such luck. I'm debating on keeping the crane factory white or spraying it industrial grey. Just don't want it to start to look too much like a navy craft.
tokdl is offline Find More Posts by tokdl
Last edited by tokdl; Mar 16, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:36 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
Rolex Promised you pic's of direct drive setup ages ago, well here they are.
Boat has 2 buehlar (SPELLING) motors, SS shafts, metal shaft logs, Dimension Engineering ESC (Dual), operating tow winch, 3S 4,000mah battery, Prop Shop props. Working on lights and paint change(Cannot stand the Mustard Yellow).
WOW, Thats some job you done there, if you have any more info or photo's of your Tug please post them here for others to see.

Many thanks again - Rolex.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:54 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tokdl View Post
Great photos there! Crane looks very well used for sure. Weathering my vessel will likely come last as I don't want to risk over weathering some parts and not enough of others.

I like the added spot lamp on the arm. Did you add the hydraulic hoses or do they come with the crane? I forget. I was hoping my tug accessories would show today, but no such luck. I'm debating on keeping the crane factory white or spraying it industrial grey. Just don't want it to start to look too much like a navy craft.
That wheel house looks excellent tokdi, i got the top off of my wheel house, many thanks for everyones help with that one.

No the crane did not come with the hydraulic hoses, i just got black wire and fit it to the crane, i seen a ship with a crane on it and it had these hoses fixed to it so i said i would give it a go. My Tug was made to look like a Sea working Tug boat and that is why i name her "SEAKING" Dublin, so she's a hard working tug boat that has been used a lot.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:50 AM
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Feb 2006
877 Posts
Rolex More pic's to follow as the boat goes back together. Shooting for early April for relaunch, need her up and running for contest in Southern Calif. and they play hard down there. Will be greasing shafts, installing the rudders today, needed paint due to the extending fwd. fix(Don't bother it helps very little) and then it is deck install. Paint is not my favorite thing so go slowly, but will change to Seafoam Green to replace the Mustard Yellow. Have not figured what to rename her but will get to it. will be adding crew (Driver and deckhands) as the reassembly goes along. Am working on a 39" barge for her to tow or push.
CaptLee is offline Find More Posts by CaptLee
Old Mar 16, 2013, 12:34 PM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
That wheel house looks excellent tokdi, i got the top off of my wheel house, many thanks for everyones help with that one.

No the crane did not come with the hydraulic hoses, i just got black wire and fit it to the crane, i seen a ship with a crane on it and it had these hoses fixed to it so i said i would give it a go. My Tug was made to look like a Sea working Tug boat and that is why i name her "SEAKING" Dublin, so she's a hard working tug boat that has been used a lot.
Thanks very much Rolex! Congrats to you on getting the roof off. I'll be trying to come up with something to make some detail to the crane when it arrives. I really like those hoses so I may steal that idea too ~ lol. So far no luck getting this stupid painted on logo off. I sure as hell don't want to have to sand this off and match this color.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:38 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptLee View Post
Rolex More pic's to follow as the boat goes back together. Shooting for early April for relaunch, need her up and running for contest in Southern Calif. and they play hard down there. Will be greasing shafts, installing the rudders today, needed paint due to the extending fwd. fix(Don't bother it helps very little) and then it is deck install. Paint is not my favorite thing so go slowly, but will change to Seafoam Green to replace the Mustard Yellow. Have not figured what to rename her but will get to it. will be adding crew (Driver and deckhands) as the reassembly goes along. Am working on a 39" barge for her to tow or push.
Many thanks again, your mods look hard to do, not to sure if i would know how to go about it. What i like about this Tug is, it gives most guys a head start in doing a model boat and to put there owen stamp on it. No one can say that it is a RTR Tug anymore, i forgot to take a photo of what i did with the stock ESC and Rev and how i made room for the smock unit.

Can you run the stock motors and the 9v smoke unit of the same battery ????

The paint job should make her stand out after you do it. Keep the info and photo's coming so to help anyone that may want to have a go at this tug boat.

Thanks for your time - Rolex.
Last edited by rolex0071; Mar 18, 2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 06:57 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
I really like those hoses so I may steal that idea too ~ lol. So far no luck getting this stupid painted on logo off. I sure as hell don't want to have to sand this off and match this color.
Not sure how they put that logo on, there is a very small warning logo under the boat and i tryed to get that logo off also, but it did not work. It seens to be pushed into the model some how, the only thing you could do is add something over it as part of the boat, or age that part of the tug where the logo is.

The hoses look very well, your more then welcome to steal anything i do as i have just done the same with your main wheel house, but did not go as far as you did.

I put in a order for a crew, 3 in total, so that is where i am now.
Last edited by rolex0071; Mar 19, 2013 at 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:17 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
The set up inside my tug boat for the smoke unit.

Sorry guys i forgot to add these photo's showing the set-up inside my tug boat for the smoke unit.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:19 AM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Looking forward to seeing what you do with the cabin, I know it will look great what ever it is you decide to do. Will post more pics as soon as my stuff arrives.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 07:23 AM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Sorry guys i forgot to add these photo's showing the set-up inside my tug boat for the smoke unit.
Wow looks pretty complex under there. You're right, not much room left under there now. I suppose one day I may have to do the same, I'm just worried about breaking something getting the two halves separated
Old Mar 18, 2013, 02:04 PM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Wow looks pretty complex under there. You're right, not much room left under there now. I suppose one day I may have to do the same, I'm just worried about breaking something getting the two halves separated
I'am now thinking of adding sound to my Tug, but a good kit can be high in price.
Old Mar 18, 2013, 03:00 PM
Vintage RC buff
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
I'am now thinking of adding sound to my Tug, but a good kit can be high in price.
Yes I must admit sound will likely be the very last thing I add. I believe you need a three ch. radio for this mod but I'm not completely sure yet.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:27 AM
IRELAND
Joined Jun 2009
2,433 Posts
Quote:
Yes I must admit sound will likely be the very last thing I add. I believe you need a three ch. radio for this mod but I'm not completely sure yet.
mmmm...you could be right, however, i am still not complete with the look of my tug boat as there is a guy called tokdl that is giving my mods on my tug boat a run for its money so i will have to work hard to keep ahead of him and i have still to work on a battery for the smoke unit. I now know what is going the other side of the crane but i'm not telling you LOL.

By the way, Are we the only ones' with captlee in the World that is doing Major Mods to this Tug Boat ? You would think that there would be more Guys on here having fun doing this?????????? or just saying HELLO to us !!!!
Last edited by rolex0071; Mar 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM.