HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:10 PM
Glenn
United States, WI, Oconto Falls
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofro View Post
Davy, many thanks, great detail shot, that plane must have done some millage, looks worn-out! When you really look close in your "misty" pic, is it the blast of jet stream down through the water mist from that tip nozzel?? (it looks like it to me). Detail like that could be quite affective to feature in the painting. From your detail top view it shows the rotating tip nozzel, is there same opening on the bottom of the wing?? BTW, I got no idea which is what, light-wise on that wing tip, could you please point more info? What's that black bulge? and small ball just in front? I'm just a keen modeler!
Good news, I just won this weekend "Bellingen Art Prize" for the best painting with my latest landscape "Morning light" oil on linen, enc. pic., Regards Joe.
Hey Joe, Congratulations! Being a farmer myself, paintings like this always catch my eye.
Glenn.
wellington53 is offline Find More Posts by wellington53
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2011, 07:19 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Harrier flight report.

I had done some checking with my amp meter and with a 4c 2200mah lipo the fan was pulling 32amps, tha stock esc is a 40amp and everything is good to go so off I go to maiden this plane.

I get there, plug in my battery and find the motor stuttering and then nothing so.....come home and find the esc has fried, thankful this did not happen in flight, I have an e-flight 60a handy so will try that,
Glenn.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 01:55 AM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellington53 View Post
I had done some checking with my amp meter and with a 4c 2200mah lipo the fan was pulling 32amps, tha stock esc is a 40amp and everything is good to go so off I go to maiden this plane.

I get there, plug in my battery and find the motor stuttering and then nothing so.....come home and find the esc has fried, thankful this did not happen in flight, I have an e-flight 60a handy so will try that,
Glenn.
Many Thanks, yes I love the smell of the country, wish I had some acreage, so I could keep all the menagerie I painted in the oil.
Back to the topic, just started on "Farewell Harrier" oil on linen, the tittle of my second ever aviation subject in 35 years.
Back to your model, I wish my was pulling only 32 amps. I wonder where you have placed your ESC, in my #1 model I'm using 80amp one fitted with velcro to the side of right air intake for good cooling. On my second model I'm going to install 100amp one in the same position, this one will draw lot more amps, probably 90 as these new nozzels will load up my power set up higher. Good luck at next go, Joe.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Old Oct 03, 2011, 02:29 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Hi Joe,
I've found this pic of a USMC AV-8B taking off and it would seem the jet blast from the rh wing tip RCS valve IS visable. However, the engine will be running at full power, and the pilot is taking off from a ship, which could be rolling from side to side itself.

I suppose it's possible that there could be visable jet blast, but in my picture maybe you see a little white triangle inboard of the wing tip? This is just the outline of the rear of the last pylon, meeting the wing tip. I also see a shiny white patch on the tarmac below it, but I think this is the white centre line on the runway.

Here is the pic of the wing tip again. Yes all of our Harriers that spent any time in Kandahar took a real beating. The low level flying through sandy air very quickly eroded leading edges and engine fan blades!!

I'm not sure what the little glass bubble is just in front of the light, I was a mechanical technicial, not electronic. The Zeus system allows the Harrier to change it's radar signal to that of a number of different things to confuse anyone tracking it. The rest is pretty simple.
I'm really looking forward to seeing your painting and your second Harrier. I only wish I had as much time to do all of my hobbies!!
davylah is online now Find More Posts by davylah
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:19 AM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:
I wonder where you have placed your ESC, Joe.

Thanks Joe, the esc is going in the rear next to the elevator servo, one other thing that bothers me is the fan slightly out of ballance.
Glenn.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 04:42 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Davy, thanks for posting those terrific shots, I finally got it, looking really close, that white triangle looking like downward jet blast is actually backround mist dividing the wing tip and edge of down flap.

Glenn, I would rather balance that fan as much as possible, just rotate the rotor and finally the spinner till you get it smooth running. You don't get much cooling for your ESC at the back in servo compart. Why not place it inside air intake?

I'm gradually progressing by painting mine, it's taking 3 coats of white to cover the base coat and then 2 coats of colour so taking some time. I like to make this one very colorful, my trademark! I just can't avoid playing with brushes so back to work, Joe.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 05:57 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Quote:

Glenn, I would rather balance that fan as much as possible, just rotate the rotor and finally the spinner till you get it smooth running. You don't get much cooling for your ESC at the back in servo compart. Why not place it inside air intake?
Joe, I think with the e flite 60 will be OK, as for the fan I have to get that thing balanced,
Glenn.
Old Oct 03, 2011, 08:21 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Worked on my Harrier tonight, got the edf fan balanced and placed the esc and the receiver in the rear with the elevator servo, all up weight with a 4C lipo is 2 pounds, still nose heavy though!
Will try for a maiden tomorrow evening.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:18 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Finally got my Harrier today!!!

Wow, first impressions are.....She's a big old bird isn't she? Second thought....She's going to need a lot of adjustments to look anything like a Harrier II!

Never mind, I've started from the tail end where things look least 'Harrier-like' and plan to work forward. I've cut the big lump off the front of the tail fin, taken a 20mm strip off the bottom to lower it, and cut the trailing edge to slightly more of an angle. Next I cut the slot in the top of the tail plane piece to allow the fin to sit further back, and cut the fuselage to allow the tailplane to sit in the right place. I've also cut the kink out of the tail planes and I'm just off re-shape the tips. Stand by for pictures...
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:22 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Worked on my Harrier tonight, got the edf fan balanced and placed the esc and the receiver in the rear with the elevator servo, all up weight with a 4C lipo is 2 pounds, still nose heavy though!
Will try for a maiden tomorrow evening.
Wow Glenn, that's progressed quickly. I can't wait to see the maiden.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:35 AM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Here's what I have done so far.

The rear top deck

The modified taliplane (one side only so far) and extended fin slot

Fin and tail plane looking a bit more 'Harrier like'

Wing with tip and leading edge removed

Wing with new tip template to show new shape. I will use blue foam for the new tips, and then fit a carbon spar all the way to the tip.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:43 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Credit where credits due Dave you definately know your planes!
Glenn.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 02:59 PM
Ex RAF Techie
North East England
Joined Jun 2010
764 Posts
Quote:
Credit where credits due Dave you definately know your planes!
Glenn.
Haha, I only know Harriers mate. 10 years in, under, and around them. They really get under your skin.

So I'm thinking....Retractable undercarriage or hand launch?
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:35 PM
Joined Jan 2010
2,876 Posts
Davy, good to see someone knows what he is doing. I had a bad dream last night, thinking what happens when both main gear tyres blow up as you mentioned on faster landings. How can those spindelly support wing gears support the weight of the plane as it must drop down considerably? Are the wheel rims badly damaged? One more question, on right wing tip is it yellow or green nav. light or flashing strobe??
I'm well on my way with the painting, to paint the mist is very challenging because you never know what it comes like till the work is fully complete.
I never liked that pointy nose tip so started shaping up one from the foam block. Currently thinking if to install double main gear under the centre of the fuse, if so what position to place it in respect to the wing gear for easy rotation and landing, Joe.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 06:50 PM
Glenn
Joined Jan 2004
2,751 Posts
Not so good maiden!

Model tracked straight and took off wot around 25 yards, had to dial in some down elevator and aileron trim, did 3 circuits at 3/4 throttle and decided to land, first attempt aborted, second attempt she rolled and slammed sidewards into the runway, this plane is awsome, I blame myself and have ordered a new replacement airframe.