Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 21, 2011, 06:51 PM
Coventry. England.
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Help!
Wasp V4 250 Belt main gear replacement.

Hi all, newbie here. Ive got the Wasp and I have to say its a beautiful machine. Unfortunately it has a stripped main gear. I have a replacement but just wondering if its a job for a noob. I'm pretty competant but I'm not sure how much I have to remove. I assume that once I release the bottom of the drive shaft and lift it, the gear will be able to be removed but what about the swash plate. Do i take this all off or no. Any detailed info will help me to get this machine running. Many thanks in advance.
vandino is offline Find More Posts by vandino
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2011, 01:08 AM
United States, MI, Auburn Hills
Joined Dec 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandino View Post
Hi all, newbie here. Ive got the Wasp and I have to say its a beautiful machine. Unfortunately it has a stripped main gear. I have a replacement but just wondering if its a job for a noob. I'm pretty competant but I'm not sure how much I have to remove. I assume that once I release the bottom of the drive shaft and lift it, the gear will be able to be removed but what about the swash plate. Do i take this all off or no. Any detailed info will help me to get this machine running. Many thanks in advance.
First have a piece of masking tape ready. Ujnder the main gear, holding the main shaft down is a collar. This collar has a screw through it and the shaft. Using a sharpie put a dot on the side of the collar that the threaded end of the screw protrudes from. The other side has a hole for the screw that is not threaded.

Disconnect all of the servo connectors AT the ball link end; not the servo end; leave servo arms in place on the servo. Unscrew the two inner screws that hold the rear swashplate arm. loosen the other screws enough to tilt this holder back out of the way.
Now unscrew the screw in the collar under the main gear. Now lift the complete head unit up enough to clear the top of the main gear; I don't usually pull it all the way out.
Edge the gear out of the frame taking care to not stretch the belt; ease the belt off the pulley. Tape the belt to the frame to insure you don't replace it with the incorrect twist or a double twist which would cause tail rotor to spin in the wrong direction or bind the belt inside the boom.

Replace the main gear and reverse the process to reassemble

Max
Parkflying is offline Find More Posts by Parkflying
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:34 AM
Coventry. England.
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Max, what can I say but thanks. Ive been reading this forum for only a couple of days but the help and support you give is second to none. For some reason the screw in the bottom collar was damaged. The manual says it is 1.7 mm which is a strange size for sure but I managed to get a bit and have slackened it. I will progress to the repair soon and keep you informed. Again, a big thanks.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 09:43 AM
Coventry. England.
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Oh Max just another quickie. Is there a safe way to remove these ball links without the proper tool? Also, ( I do apologise) is it possible to give me a link for the test vid of my Wasp. V4BJ0873. Thank you.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Oh Max just another quickie. Is there a safe way to remove these ball links without the proper tool? Also, ( I do apologise) is it possible to give me a link for the test vid of my Wasp. V4BJ0873. Thank you.
Try carefully using the both thumbs pressing the against the link, applying equal pressure, while the fore fingers of each hand holds the links;
Much easier using the proper ball link plier; same ball link pliers are not easy to find; try these:

Economy Version

Deluxe Version

Go to the factory website here to see the factory test flights:

Factory Test Flight Videos

I am sorry, I don't have a direct link to your heli as that serial number was not assigned to us. But with some searching you should be able to find the video for your heli

Max

BTW for all users of this forum, please update your profile to show your country location - Thanks
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 25, 2011, 05:15 AM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jan 2011
7 Posts
I had to exchange the main gear on my wasp v3. Fairly easy operation. The reason it stripped was because the blades hit the ground and the shaft broke the weak walled top mainshaft support. After removing the two halves I inserted two alen keys to align them (same size as the one supplied, which by the way doesn't fit the hex screws properly so I used my own) and used araldite to reinforce it, worked a treat.
jkaxford is offline Find More Posts by jkaxford
Old Mar 19, 2011, 04:38 PM
Coventry. England.
Joined Jan 2011
15 Posts
Well I'm quite an expert at heli repair now. I have all the neccessary equipment to repair my heli and a quite distraught Wife. Never mind that tho eh? Today I flew the heli for the first time and it was truly superb. The expert flyer (28 yrs flying experience was massively impressed with Skyartec and who knows, we may start seeing more over here. Now I have another problem which I'll be mailing Max about. 2 wires have come off the 5 pin din pc connector and I need the pin/wire setup.

Just a little bit of advise to anyone doing a main gear swap. What I did was to release the main shaft below the gear as per Max's info above; release the collar above the top fusalage bearing and then take out the thin bolt holding the shaft to the top frame connector. Pull the shaft down out of the head and then up to release the main gear. I found this better than releasing the ball links. Also belt tension is critical. You want the tail to rotate freely without any signs of belt teeth binding OR being too tight. If you take the belt out it can be little tricky getting it in the correct way. I ended up twice with the tail going anti clockwise. Give me a shout if you need a hand.
Last edited by vandino; Mar 19, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 01:17 PM
Joined Dec 2008
833 Posts
Quote:
Well I'm quite an expert at heli repair now. I have all the neccessary equipment to repair my heli and a quite distraught Wife. Never mind that tho eh? Today I flew the heli for the first time and it was truly superb. The expert flyer (28 yrs flying experience was massively impressed with Skyartec and who knows, we may start seeing more over here. Now I have another problem which I'll be mailing Max about. 2 wires have come off the 5 pin din pc connector and I need the pin/wire setup.

Just a little bit of advise to anyone doing a main gear swap. What I did was to release the main shaft below the gear as per Max's info above; release the collar above the top fusalage bearing and then take out the thin bolt holding the shaft to the top frame connector. Pull the shaft down out of the head and then up to release the main gear. I found this better than releasing the ball links. Also belt tension is critical. You want the tail to rotate freely without any signs of belt teeth binding OR being too tight. If you take the belt out it can be little tricky getting it in the correct way. I ended up twice with the tail going anti clockwise. Give me a shout if you need a hand.
Great Advice and good suggestions! Thank you

Max
Site Sponsor