HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:15 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2007
200 Posts
Hi,
since a crash from the ceiling the tail motor does not run anymore but the wires still look ok. Is it worth to get a new motor or should I take an old 6020 without gyro and do the hotrodding killbucket mentioned here?

Darkstar.
Darkstar2000 is offline Find More Posts by Darkstar2000
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:11 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,048 Posts
Any other pilots with both revisions S107 experiencing the same differences in flight characteristics?

I can whip my rev 3 bird around so hard it can get blade flutter, and drop down to a near crash. But this is impossible on the rev 5 heli, it simply doesnt turn fast enough to get into trouble or even close to that.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:19 PM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,720 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloPro View Post
Any other pilots with both revisions S107 experiencing the same differences in flight characteristics?

I can whip my rev 3 bird around so hard it can get blade flutter, and drop down to a near crash. But this is impossible on the rev 5 heli, it simply doesnt turn fast enough to get into trouble or even close to that.
That's interesting, because I have the exact opposite experience. My R5 does the flutter and drops like a rock, but never with the R3.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:38 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailhigh View Post
That's interesting, because I have the exact opposite experience. My R5 does the flutter and drops like a rock, but never with the R3.
So your rev 5 bird turns much faster than your rev 3? Talk about confusing...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 30, 2010, 01:42 PM
Joined Sep 2010
12 Posts
I have a Rev. 5 and it can not turn too quickly either. Have not flown a Rev. 3 so I can not compare. I am thinking about getting another one and turning this one into my experimental modder. Maybe move up to something that is not IR so it gets better battery use and I can crash it indoors and out.
Revv is offline Find More Posts by Revv
Old Sep 30, 2010, 03:03 PM
Nice day for RC'ing
Palmerston On. Canada
Joined Jul 2010
1,663 Posts
Well I have 50 flights on mine, Seems to be ok. will I hit a 100? Time will tell.
Redfisher is offline Find More Posts by Redfisher
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:07 PM
Is it charged-up yet?
Miami, FL
Joined Sep 2010
85 Posts
Just completed my 59th and 60th flights (40 on the R5, 20 in the R3) for a total of five hours of flight time. Both helis are flying well, though I did snap a tail rotor today during a timed hover test, first real damage to either heli.

The hover test was to determine which heli could complete the most piros in 30 seconds with minimal throttle changes and no elev. The one with the Rev 3 board completed 15 full clockwise yaws, the R5 completed 14. Going counter-clockwise the R3 completed 14 rotations, the R5 managed 12.5. So overall the R3 heli can turn about 2 RPMs faster than the R5. However, I'm not sure this is due to the PC board, it could also be the battery. The R3's battery is marked as 150 ma, the R5's battery doesn't have a rating marked on it. The R3 has consistently taken about 10 minutes longer to charge, which would also lead me to believe the R5 may have a lesser battery, maybe a 140 ma. Both will give a full five minutes of flight time with no indication of weakening when the timer goes off.
Tom DB is offline Find More Posts by Tom DB
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:19 PM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Hm...PWM control on the motors now? Interesting: not only does it slow one rotor, it's managing it independently of your control inputs to keep a constant speed. It seems that the older ones are just shutting down a motor "dumb", and that's why they lose altitude in a turn.

Do the R5's hold elevation any better when piro-ing?

Not surprised to hear about no-name cells. This is a good thing, because obviously they're cheaper if they don't get a marking step. This would also indicate that the cells were sourced or made specifically to go into product, not packages. More price reductions coming?

Has anybody with a gear-dropper S107 tried my suggested fix yet? I MAY pick up one of the Clone107's from Fry's in a few days, for vivisectional use.
At the very least, the UGH 2-tone Tan and Pooh painted bodywork goes..these are ug-lee.

Cars and airsoft pulls at me all the more...I have 19-turn motors from 1992 (Chris Doseck Editions from Sheldon's) that still run strong.

China, make me a medium-sized 3-channel with two 550's in it. Remember, it was BATTERIES that kept this from happening in the past. Today, it would be easy...

Hm, that's a good project for the CNC: Custom-chassis'd LAMA with mondo motors. Before you say brushless, know that I have BINS full of 750-class Mabuchi's in the store-room.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Last edited by killbucket; Sep 30, 2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 07:54 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
SENTRY 62 is offline Find More Posts by SENTRY 62
Last edited by SENTRY 62; Mar 24, 2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2010, 08:01 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Old Sep 30, 2010, 09:30 PM
I LIKE WAFFLES....
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Sep 2010
2,452 Posts
Old Sep 30, 2010, 11:01 PM
Central Florida, USA
Joined Sep 2010
1,862 Posts
Big Chopper

That looks nice! And the price is great but the shipping is where they get you! But I guess being sent all the way from Hong Kong is costly.

How does your neighbor like it?

Regards,
Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by SENTRY 62 View Post
Ok- just got off the phone w/ my neighbor - he actually has a Pioneer MX - not the Syma:

This is what we just witness fall out of the sky:

http://www.ehirobo.com/shop/product_...oducts_id=8937
edwong3 is offline Find More Posts by edwong3
Old Oct 01, 2010, 03:29 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,048 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom DB View Post
Just completed my 59th and 60th flights (40 on the R5, 20 in the R3) for a total of five hours of flight time. Both helis are flying well, though I did snap a tail rotor today during a timed hover test, first real damage to either heli.

The hover test was to determine which heli could complete the most piros in 30 seconds with minimal throttle changes and no elev. The one with the Rev 3 board completed 15 full clockwise yaws, the R5 completed 14. Going counter-clockwise the R3 completed 14 rotations, the R5 managed 12.5. So overall the R3 heli can turn about 2 RPMs faster than the R5. However, I'm not sure this is due to the PC board, it could also be the battery. The R3's battery is marked as 150 ma, the R5's battery doesn't have a rating marked on it. The R3 has consistently taken about 10 minutes longer to charge, which would also lead me to believe the R5 may have a lesser battery, maybe a 140 ma. Both will give a full five minutes of flight time with no indication of weakening when the timer goes off.
When I get home I'll do the same test. I think my rev 5 heli turns at least half as fast as my rev 3, but I have to measure it first to get exact data.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2010, 06:23 AM
Hovering is a way of Life
Arizona
Joined Aug 2010
2,368 Posts
received a yellow S107 yesterday from Xheli. Initial inspection I found the pin that holds the stabilizer bar was not inserted all the way. pushed it a little and it snapped right into place but now the stabilizer does not move freely. tryed to exercise it but it continued to be stiff and bind. pushed the pin back to where it was and the stabilizer moves normally.
This is the second S107 with tail motor wires sticking out of the bottom of the tail motor mount. First one and both of the firebirds had the wires all pulled nicely inside.
one of the screws that holds the top blade set and stabilizer to the main shaft did not seem to be screwed in like the other side. I found thats because the screw hole is stripped but the top blade set is still holding securely to the shaft so it seems to be ok.
Board is Rev 5 like all the other S107's I have received from Xheli.
needs to charge befor I attempt to fly it but that will have to wait untill latter as I have a busy day.
jtravel is online now Find More Posts by jtravel
Old Oct 01, 2010, 12:49 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,048 Posts
I did a short piro test.

My rev 5 S107 - 11 turns in 30 seconds
My rev 3 S107 - 18 turns in 30 seconds

So not twice as fast, but a big difference
RCG Plus Member