HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2014, 07:39 PM
Joined Feb 2014
33 Posts
Discussion
Redwing 76" Electric setup

I am looking to put together a 30cc size electric bird. Redwing sells this power pack- I don't know much about electric, I have been all gas.

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=294

In this MXSR airframe

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...products_id=15

Does this look plenty powerful for 3d? What else will I need
turboflier is offline Find More Posts by turboflier
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2014, 08:38 PM
United States, IL, Granite City
Joined Dec 2013
86 Posts
This should be plenty of power I have this motor on my 3dhs 74 edge and I'm not even getting full power on it yet (castle hasn't come up with fix for the programming yet ) but it still has a ton of power... I'm running a 21x10 prop on mine
JStermer is offline Find More Posts by JStermer
Old Mar 03, 2014, 09:58 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,468 Posts
power setup looks good. cant say ive heard much good about flight characteristics of the redwing mxsr, but no problems with the power setup
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Mar 03, 2014, 11:15 PM
Melbourne, FL
Joined Dec 2004
1,040 Posts
I had this airplane.Hacker A60-8S, Jeti Mezon 90, APC 20x10 on 12s 2700. Stupid power and a lot of fun

Danny
F1 Rocket is offline Find More Posts by F1 Rocket
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 04, 2014, 10:45 PM
Joined Feb 2014
33 Posts
Great- My friend at the field has the MXSR and it does everything pretty well. They have a new Slick with a few more inches on the wings. If this is plenty power I might go that route

Thanks!
Old May 07, 2014, 10:03 PM
Why am I addicted!!!
United States, IL, Columbia
Joined Jan 2008
553 Posts
Turbo,

I have this plane and it is wicked amazing. I had it in gas but I am thinking about going electric. The setup you have there has sick power. Also you can get this guy right now as the 48hour special... Its the same plane but a specialized scheme... "Tear!" Check it out...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Redwi...02510259799482

This happened to me because I lost my gas powered motor... (Tuning issue that I messed up.) I never had that problem with electric. LoL The plane held up with a 12ft direct nose down planting into the grass. Look how the amazing Xion Wing Locks held on to my wings... I am so sold.

Cheers

DonQ
DonQ8401 is offline Find More Posts by DonQ8401
Old May 07, 2014, 10:07 PM
Team RedWing RC
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Aug 2013
463 Posts
The MXSR is a great looking plane. I haven't gotten the chance to fly one yet, though. These 30cc planes are really easy to convert to electric, I'll be doing a build review and electric conversion on the Extra 330 soon.
good luck!
-RG
Team RedWing
RG916170 is offline Find More Posts by RG916170
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2014, 09:26 PM
Joined Feb 2014
33 Posts
Thanks guys. They have a special deal with the 50 selling for almost the same price as the 30. I am calling in the morning to see if the will shave a few buck off the 30cc.
Old May 13, 2014, 06:21 AM
DWS
D.W. Schmidt
United States, IL, Scott AFB
Joined Sep 2004
316 Posts
I don't have them MXSR, but did an electric conversion on the Sbach 342 30cc.

The plane used a hacker A60-8s, YGE 120HV and 12s 5000 cells on a APC 20x10. 5000 cells are overkill, but even all way at the firewall and all other equipment as designed, the CG was still right at the very aft limit. I think using 3000ish cells would allow it to fly 3D much better (I am more of a pattern flyer). Unfortunately, my plane met an early demise (11 flights) when one of the CF aileron servo arms snapped mid-flight.

If I were to do it again, I would move the rudder and elevator servos to the forward part of the fuselage and extend the motor box all the way to back of the motor to allow the batteries to be as far forward as possible.

I can post a few pictures of mine if you like. I told Tim the owner of the company I would do a build thread and I still may if can find some spare time. Tim is a great guy to deal with.

D.W.
DWS is online now Find More Posts by DWS
Old May 13, 2014, 12:52 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
I have the MXSR converted to EP. Here's a link.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...highlight=mxsr
In truth, I do not believe the Redwing planes are good candidates for EP, because you have to add so much weight in the nose to achieve the right CG. I had to add about 10 ounces of lead shot just behind the motor. It does fly very well, though. If I were starting over, I would look at another brand. Tim at Redwing said that they really did not design these for EP.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old May 14, 2014, 10:10 PM
Joined Feb 2014
33 Posts
DWS and Chuck- This is why these forums are so great. looking at your photos gave me a great idea on the cg issue. I will just punch out the firewall and make an aluminum kit to mount the engine to the side walls of the motor box allowing battery placement all the way up to the back of the motor. If it works as good as I think I will offer them to Tim at Redwing as a conversion kit. It may even be fairly universal to other brands.
Thanks Guys!!
I will post when it is a reality...
Old May 14, 2014, 10:44 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboflier View Post
DWS and Chuck- This is why these forums are so great. looking at your photos gave me a great idea on the cg issue. I will just punch out the firewall and make an aluminum kit to mount the engine to the side walls of the motor box allowing battery placement all the way up to the back of the motor. If it works as good as I think I will offer them to Tim at Redwing as a conversion kit. It may even be fairly universal to other brands.
Thanks Guys!!
I will post when it is a reality...
Be sure to post your conversion. I'd mod mine to save 1/2 lb of weight, fer shure. I actually built a box to slide the pack up into, to make it easy to get in and out. I'll take a pic and post it tomorrow.
Old May 26, 2014, 09:33 PM
Joined Feb 2014
33 Posts
I am ready to pull the trigger on this now. Going with the 330 and plan to do a whole motor box mod right off the bat. So, this package from Redwing comes with a single 5000 6s battery.

http://www.redwingrc.com/index.php?m...roducts_id=294

1) Is that all I need to power the A60-6XS?
2) Do you recommend a powerful BEC or just use a stand alone receiver battery? If BEC which one?
Last edited by turboflier; May 26, 2014 at 09:39 PM.
Old May 26, 2014, 10:26 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Joined Dec 2001
4,572 Posts
I think 6s on that plane would be anemic. Here's what I have in my MXSR.
Motrolfly 4330-298 $190
ZTW B 120a opto controller $109
Xoar 20x8 PJN $24
Castle bec pro $37
zippy flightmax 4S5000 packs times 2 $123
That's $483 for a 2700 watt power combo that really rocks this 12# plane.

Btw, the Redwing combo doesn't list a BEC, and the Hacker doesn't have one built in, so you would still have to buy one or get an RX pack.

Also I could have shaved about $12 off my cost by using an APC prop.

So for about the same cost as the 1900 watt, setup, you could get a 2700 watt setup.

Something to think about, anyway.

Open a thread on that bad boy when you start putting it together. I want to see your MB mod, 'cuz I'm looking at their Slick.

Chuck
Old May 27, 2014, 08:30 PM
Joined Feb 2014
33 Posts
Do I add much weight with the setup you are describing? Would you expect longer of shorter flight times?