HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:14 PM
United States, MN, Excelsior
Joined Dec 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
Cowl tips

I am buolding a Goldgerg Super Chipmunk. The cowl comes in 2 pieces. Looking for any ideas how to join the halv's and smooth out the seams.
goldielocks is online now Find More Posts by goldielocks
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2013, 07:57 PM
United States, TX, Cibolo
Joined Nov 2011
336 Posts
If it bleach bottle type material, testors model glue and testors filler, or make a plug from that and make one out of fiberglass, one or 2 plies
Hollywood2979 is offline Find More Posts by Hollywood2979
Old Feb 01, 2013, 09:27 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,820 Posts
Half a plastic cowl.

I initially tape the two halves together,after sanding them inside and out, about 1/2"each side of the joint.
Most of those plastic cowls have extra material to cut into 1/4" wide strips as reinforcements.
Tape the two halves together as tightly as you can, then glue a strip on the inside over the seams. Wick some medium C/A down the seams and let it flow into the edges...After it kicks off, remove the tape and lightly sand the seam on the outside.

I use automotive plastic body filler,and apply a light coating on the seam.
Use a small flat block wrapped with sandpaper to sand it smooth, then prime it.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2013, 10:29 PM
I'm a pilot... 100 yrs to late
USA, FL, Palm Harbor
Joined Jan 2005
3,453 Posts
EpoxyEarl...I have done as you state before but why tape the two halves together lightly? I place a very narrow strip of parchment paper lengthwise down the seam... the tape over it lengthwise as well with blue painters tape.. the blue tape being wider than than the parchment paper.
Thermalin is offline Find More Posts by Thermalin
Old Feb 03, 2013, 07:07 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermalin View Post
EpoxyEarl...I have done as you state before but why tape the two halves together lightly? I place a very narrow strip of parchment paper lengthwise down the seam... the tape over it lengthwise as well with blue painters tape.. the blue tape being wider than than the parchment paper.
Ha ha-dirt on your screen? I said TIGHTLY, so as to keep the two sides firmly touching,as the glue is being applied...

I haven't tried parchment paper...Thanks for the tip.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2013, 09:28 AM
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
3,481 Posts
If you take some of the scraps of the cowl, dissolve them in a little acetone, you have left a filler putty that will work fantastically, AND stick.

Les
LesUyeda is online now Find More Posts by LesUyeda